The horde doesn't need a devastating defeat

If it’s fine to do to Night Elf players, there’s no reason it can’t happen to Horde players.

Is there some hidden fee I don’t know about that causes Horde players to pay more for this protected status? Otherwise, we all pay the same sub, so why is the Horde playerbase magically off-limits?

7 Likes
1 Like

And you figure that, how? Do we not both have a sub?

I’m genuinely baffled. Because any reason given so far as to why nothing bad can happen to the Horde is also applicable to Night Elves. And yet, here we are.

4 Likes

One is a player race. The other is a player faction.

And that matters, because?

It isn’t equivalent exchange? Because the Horde is already completely defeated and at death’s door when Nazjatar begins? Because the Horde lost the most popular capital city in the entire setting, bar absolutely not single one? Because juust like night elves, forsaken lost their zone?

I think Alliance players get touchy about this stuff, because we know how this plays out.

Beginning of the expansion, we get this:

So, at BlizzCon we provided a few details about a new expansion and how it’s going to have an ever-growing focus on the fight between the Horde and the Alliance in the wake of dispelling many very powerful threats to all of Azeroth. Then we find out a vague detail that some sort of unrelenting attack by the Horde on Theramore is to come. The Horde, to remind you, is currently a faction with an overzealous ruler and significant turmoil among their faction leaders; while the Alliance has almost never been quite so unified and far removed from the days of imprisoning orcs.

The first pawn on the chess board of what is to be the story for Mists of Pandaria is being moved, and you’re angry at whose turn is first? I only offer that maybe there’s a little more to the Horde and Alliance story lines in Mists than an Alliance town being leveled… like the entire expansion story you don’t know about yet. :wink:

If you wanna make an omelette…

And then at the end of the expansion we get this:

Right around 5:00 minutes, where Dave Kosak says that they can’t do anything more because they might alienate the Horde player base.

All well and good, Blizzard shouldn’t want to alienate the Horde player base. I would just like them to spend some time figuring out why they seem to keep alienating the Alliance player base, and stop doing that.

14 Likes

They are both players at the end of the day.
Night Elf, Horde, Alliance etc…

The issue remains the same.

rofl.

And why shouldn’t it be? Why are some people paying to be put through the wringer, while others pay to sidestep all consequences of their actions?

I mean, you lost some boats. I get that, in the naval expansion, that means the Horde is losing. But death’s door is a bit much. Especially with Anduin and Jaina consistently pulling punches.

That cramped, convoluted mess? To each their own, I suppose. But, when I played Horde, Orgrimmar and Silvermoon were more populous by considerable margins.

I mean, it’s not like the Alliance blighted Undercity to hell and back. And parts of the surrounding zone are still fine, and not blighted. Teldrassil’s just an ashen skybox.

Also, no genocide.

3 Likes

Well said.

It speaks volumes about what Blizzard considers is enough for the Alliance and what they consider enough for the Horde.

2 Likes

It shouldn’t. The Horde is owed more than the Alliance, regardless of Teldrasisl. We’ve been under represented as the losing, weak, powerless faction since day one of Legion, concurrently. Even when we burned Teldrassil, we only managed it by fooling the Alliance into going to Ulduar. Every single time the Horde and Alliance comes to bear, the Alliance is shown as the better trained, more powerful faction.

Every.
Single.
Time.

While you’ve been bemoaning the world tree ad nauseum, we’ve been painted as losers who lose repeatedly. Every time we think we’ve won, we lose. Then, ontop of that, our own faction is beating us into submission with bullhoss that no one in their right mind would go for after Garrosh.

To sum up:

The Night Elves do not deserve to make the entire Horde suffer. At the absolute best, they deserve to make the forsaken suffer.

Maybe.

Because despite Teldrassil Tears, Night Elves as members of the Alliance have been winning non-stop all expansion. The entire Horde has been losing since Legion.

1 Like

Both sides “win” their war campaign.
And Horde has never lost in direct confrontation with the Alliance.

You seem extremely biased Treng in what you consider is enough and what is not.

1 Like

If you think that being forced to blow up your own city is a win condition, I’d hate to see what you consider losing.

It wasn’t forced. It was the intent all along otherwise Sylvanas would have used Orgrimmar and not a ruin to make her last stand.

Uh, every Horde leader comments on how badly we’re losing.

Sylvanas’s plans are not the Horde’s plans. She planned to destroy Teldrassil before she even left Orgrimmar.

It was only after Zandalari fleet that we saw for 3 minutes get blown and we all knew the invisible Kul Tiran navy would soon follow it.
As far as we have seen the Horde has never lost directly to the Alliance. Only proxies or tactical retreats.

She is the Warchief. She is the Horde.
And btw if Blizzard wanted they could have really shown the Horde lose in the same spirit they make the Alliance lose.

Imagine it was the Alliance shooting at Lordaeron and all the Horde leaders could do is call for a retreat with a tail between their legs.
Rather than Sylvanas smirking at the end her plan working exactly as she planned it.

100% false. The Alliance decimated and routed the Horde army, forcing a retreat at the Battle of Lordaeron.

Anduin is the High King. Night Elves are Alliance. Night Elves have won non stop since Teldrassil and are repaid.

Thank you for allowing me to use the transitive property by proxy of you using it first.

Source?

If quoting things out of context is your way of making yourself feel better about the illusion you have constructed for yourself then good for you.
I don’t have the time, the energy or really the interest to break that illusion for you.

Apologies for replying to myself, but I just wanted to point out that if you listen from about 4:18 forward, I think you can see a bit of the disconnect between the developers and the Alliance player base. Dave Kosak lists a bunch of Alliance victories, and sounds, to me anyway, positively exasperated that this isn’t good enough.

I think he, and frankly the developers to this day miss the point. Written out on a piece of paper or on a story board, those things all sound like fabulous Alliance victories. However, played out in the game as an Alliance player and they don’t actually feel like victories.

Take the attack on Undercity from BfA as an example. On paper, the Alliance steamrolls Brill, shatters the walls of the city, storms in and forces the Horde to retreat, leaving the Undercity in ruins. Sounds pretty awesome for the Alliance. As played in the game, the Alliance player doesn’t get to play through steamrolling their way to Undercity, instead the Alliance player has to play through a comedy of errors that makes the Alliance seem utterly incompetent (e.g. attacking Undercity without a plan for dealing with Forsaken blight), and is only saved by a series of unplanned deus ex machinas (Looking at you, Jaina in the flying ship). Finally, in the end, the Alliance doesn’t destroy Undercity, but instead has to flee for their lives from Sylvanas’ contingency plan and stand impotent on the deck of their vessel as she smirks at them.

Not really a feel good moment. I honestly thing that the developers need to focus more on how some of these things play out in the game and how they will be felt by the players, because they really seem to not fully get it.__

15 Likes

Obviously there is some large disconnect. Some Horde players and some Alliance players seem dissatisfied with the story. Few victories as of late seem feel good or satisfying while the other side wants to say it is.

2 Likes