The High Elf Love Thread đŸ„°

Or they modified it later.

I’m a Blood Elf. Everyone is a hater.

Well, it must have been created before the Sunwell’s destruction, because “the energy of the Sunwell courses through Thori’dal”, which implies it was created before the whole Blood Elf schism.

1 Like

You also acquire from killing Kil’jaedon, which immediately preceded the restoration of the Sunwell.

And if you note, I used the word used not use. The symbol of Quel’thalas prior to the Third War was the unicorn.

I dunno why they use it now, it might the same reason the blood elves do, it might be just because it’s an easily re-coloured asset.

2 Likes

Surely you’re not suggesting that they might have cut some corners.

Did I manage to keep a straight face there?

1 Like

I know, right?

I guess it’s easier to make the birdy blue instead of drawing this on a bunch of stuff.

~https://i.redd.it/sff8t779mjf11.jpg

Again. It could have been modified. Weapons are sometimes modified in these ways.

They sure did, but that does not make it not canon.

You get that’s what we’re saying, right?

Frankly, I don’t really care about what heraldry what group used when, I just was in the mood to make a snarky comment about blizz

Then why say that high elves don’t use the phoenix if they clearly do?

And not only in those assets. There’s the Lohn’goron bow, Thori’dal and probably other stuff with blue phoenixes around. Heck, the double spread image of Quel’thalas in Chronicle 1, before blood elves, has a tower with the phoenix on top of it.

1 Like

I never said that they didn’t. What I said was this:

As we can see on the Elven destroyer in the screenshot I linked here.

That’s been a fairly long-running thing in lore circles I’ve known it’s mentioned on multiple wowpedia articles, if there’s newer information I’m happy to admit I’m wrong. I’m looking at this image of Quel’thalas and I don’t see any phoenixes. Do you mean that one right out in the background with two prongs?

~https://wow.zamimg.com/uploads/screenshots/normal/877484.jpg

Because ornamental wings aren’t the same as “phoenix”.

Interestingly enough, these things are all over the Alliance zones in Classic WoW

3 Likes

There’s not a single canon source that the unicorn was the symbol of Quel’thalas.

It was in the boats, yes, but that does not make it the national symbol. It could have other meanings. It could be the flag of that particular fleet that was sent to help the Alliance back then. It hasn’t been seen again either before or since.

1 Like

I’d be good with using the unicorn as their group symbol. Be nice to clean it up a bit, maybe a rampant unicorn or something?

4 Likes

I’d love to see it have a greater meaning, but Blizzard never built up on it. And all art of Silvermoon since TBC, even before the Scourge, portrayed it pretty much as it is today. Even the destroyed sections of the city look just like current belf architecture.

6 Likes

There’s no canon sources, but it seems like a logical conclusion. The Alliance High Elves still use it as a symbol and actually have unicorn mounts, and the unicorn is seen on their ships from when their entire kingdom was allied with the Alliance

I blame this on Blizz.

2 Likes

They don’t really have the passion for wow like the fan base does tbh.

1 Like

Depends somewhat on the topic. I know Ion is passionate for the raiding scene, but not so much on the nuances of High/Blood Elf lore and storytelling

You planning on writing the check to Blizzard to make these niche ARs?

1 Like

I always figured the Unicorn was the old Farstriders Symbol.

1 Like