The High Elf Love Thread đŸ„°

Please point to one in-universe instance of someone explicitly stating that Thalassian is the sole racial term for high elves.

There may well be dozens of demonyms that they utilize, “High Elves” just isn’t one of them – unless you’re betting on the fact that the writers just accidentally forgot to include the use of “High Elves” as a broad ethnic descriptor even one time in ~12 years of content creation. :laughing:

1 Like

Also, notice I respond to your “please point outs”, but you ignore mine. Let’s try again.

Uh uh uh, not using a term is not the same as saying it isn’t valid. Explicitly stated thank you.

Well it did, just not a lot. Look up Fel Blood Elves for what happens with more Fel exposure.

It’s in Chronicles. Though I remember a bit of it from Blood of the Highborne too,

“The Surviving Elves greeted Kael’thas with thinly veiled resentment.”

To paraphrase, the surviving elves thought he enjoyed spending time in Dalaran over Quel’thalas. It goes on to say that Kael’thas had always felt distant from his people because he wasn’t an isolationist.

I remember them also being upset about him sweeping in and grabbing their best warriors and rolling out.

That doesn’t make their cultures the same at all. Dalaran is a human/elf hybrid, down to their architecture.

Zandalar and Kul’tiras don’t have the same culture because they both love boats.

Leaving Silvermoon to join Dalaran without permission is abandoning Silvermoon, which was his fear.

Yeah. I don’t like the stagnating Blood Elf story. The whole thing is basically, TBC: “We’re different!” End of TBC: “We’ll try to go back?” Cataclysm: “We’re still super addicted to magic.” > Nazmir?

I played the heritage quest and it’s talking about how they became Blood Elves. The whole thing revolves around the sacking of Silvermoon.

and looking at the quest text I’m not misremembering it. This is literally a, “This is how we became Sin’dorei” story.

The old Sunwell wasn’t purified by a Naaru. It’s a different Sunwell

and, like I said, it doesn’t matter if you keep one thing the same if you change other things drastically.

Here, here!

I disagree with this entirely honestly. They didn’t change back. They just didn’t suffer from mana addiction.

They didn’t abolish the Blood Knights. They didn’t abolish the reliquary or the scryers or the Sunreavers. They didn’t change factions back to the Alliance.

They just stopped holding their buildings up with fel magic.

and once again, we’re talking about World of Warcraft. So you can’t hold them to some cultural standard no other group in World of Warcraft can achieve. We’re limited by the medium in what culture is even present.

There is nothing indicated that their culture shifted back. The only thing that has changed is that, theoretically, they’re not still addicted to magic. However, in Cataclysm’s intro, and in the description of the leader of the Reliquary, they’re not even past the magic addiction bit.

But they axed the story about her reclaiming her relationship with the light. Last we’ve seen they still think that dominating the light is a better move.

Keep in mind, I like the Blood Elves. But this idea that they’ve returned to being the old Quel’dorei is wishful thinking on Blood Elves players parts, and I think a disservice to Blood Elves. Also
 Nazmir. But that’s fine. I like a little crazy.

1 Like

That’s like saying, “well, Americans don’t call themselves Zapdosians, but that doesn’t mean Zapdosians isn’t a valid demonym”.

1 Like

I make that claim all the time. Because WoW doesn’t have biology. It’s got Cosmology.

Radiation in World of Warcraft turns people into radioactive goo that can attack people.

Humans used to all be made of metal and are cursed.

Any changes that occur in WoW are a result of magic. So if you suddenly get magically glowing eyes. You’re kind of different.

You’re still a Dark Troll though.

Not that it matters. Not like we’re arguing with people who give a crap about cosmology, WoW chronicles or Lore really.

4 Likes

Pretty much.

1 Like

If the people who came up with the term “American” said “Zapdosians” is a valid demonym, it would be.

If the people who came up with the term “Thalassian”, being the early Thalassians themselves, had posited that “High Elves” was a valid term then you’d be right.

As it stands, they don’t appear to consider it to be valid at all – evidenced by it never being used, not once, in ~12 years of narrative development.

1 Like

I don’t disagree with Fyorsing.

Logically the group is probably fine being called “Thalassians” because, “Quel’thalassians” is a bit much and “Silvermoon’dorei.” which they’ve actually been called sounds atrocious.

But it’s never appeared in the lore, and reasons for it to appear in lore basically don’t exist unless you’re trying to talk smack about Ren’dorei and the wayfarers simultaneously. But then you still wouldn’t use the term, because you’re probably a Dwarf that isn’t Brann Bronzebeard.

Also, it’s really funny that a group of people can complain about something that’s still happening as being rediculous but are still here hanging on every word of it. You dudes live on this stuff. Should be thanking Fyorsing for her time. But that’s it for me today. Gonna go lift weights. Have a good night people.

4 Likes

How different though? Different enough to be meassured?

And is this going to turn into another one of those “I know more about this than the people writing the lore” cricular argument again?

2 Likes

The people who came up with the term Thalassian are Blizzard. You seem a little confused. Perhaps you should have a snickers.

1 Like

blows a kiss to his adoring fan

1 Like

Waves a fly-swatter in front of her face

Please, I might be dead, but I have standards.

Well there go my plans for the weekend.

1 Like

Okay? I don’t think you are thinking straight. Have a nap.

Any canon that is derived from in-universe sources is, typically, considered of a greater value than canon derived from out-of-universe sources (including comments made by the author themselves, unless the works are republished with the relevant amendments made).

What any individual, employed by Blizzard, has to say about a given group of characters (this being an out-of-universe source) is considerably less valuable to the canon than what that given group of characters has to say about themselves (this being an in-universe source).

(As an aside, wasn’t it you who brought up degrees of canon last night in the first place? How did you forget your own position(s) in so short a time?)

2 Likes

Your initial response should’ve been, “okay, I was very wrong.” :laughing:

1 Like

At least you’re finally admitting it.