The High Elf Love Thread đŸ„°

I mean Metzen has noted the blood elves as the barbie dolls of the horde. I guess considering who he is that is canon now just cause.

I guess when they admitted that they were wrong with trying to remove flying that clearly wasnt the case because hey
 devs simply cannot be wrong.

2 Likes

Once again, nobody’s ever argued that they’re not very similar.

No matter how you try and abuse English it’s not gonna make it work. You can go back to misquoting, “High Elves are Blood Elves.” and you’ll continue to be misattributing the author.

But he didn’t say that.

2 Likes

Awww, you’re so cute when you project your tactics on to others.

1. You’re intentionally utilizing terminology provided by a secondary source, instead of terminology provided by a primary source.

2. It stops being “a difference of opinions” when one side of the discussion is intentionally obfuscating things, because “it’s easier”.

So, no, going forward I’m going to refer to them all as Thalassians and I’ll continue to call out every usage of the phrase “Blood Elves are High Elves” as being a misleading half-truth.

This isn’t how primary sourcing works in fictional settings, Google it.

Notice how Guzzle made this claim, I told him to Google it, and he stopped posting? There’s your sign.

2 Likes

I’m not, and I think that you’re acting pretty unlike yourself. You’re usually fair and open minded.

I’m not agreeing with her that they’re, “Thalassian Elves.” Because it’s the name of the language, you can say it, it’s like talking about eastern Europe as, “Germanic” because they speak northern and western Germanic variant languages but I’ve never seen anybody in Universe ever adopt the language.

But they don’t acknowledge themselves as, “High Elves” either. Kael’thas literally states, “We are no longer High Elves.”

But that’s probably because they’re all, “Elves” or “Dorei.” which is the one word that they always refer to themselves as. So in universe, they’re probably most accurately, “Dorei.”

It even states in the old WoW encyclopedia that Blood Elves don’t consider themselves High Elves. So that’s two separate lore sources that directly state they don’t go by that name.

So it’s just not accurate in Universe
 and Out of Universe when we say High Elves we’re talking about a specific group and everybody knows which group we’re talking about.

3 Likes

And again as it has been stated over and over and over.

I can claim to be a Blood Elf all I want and proud to be one, but that doesn’t suddenly mean genetically I’m not still a High Elf.

Which is the entire point of this stupid argument. That every Elf that’s ever lived in Quel’thalas is a High Elf.

You can change your name and viewpoints but you are still one. And that’s what Fyorsing keeps failing to understand that High Elf is the group species name and Thalassian is the language name.

1 Like

And, yet, not one of them refers to themselves as such – as far as we know, there isn’t even a word for “elf” in Thalassian.

Puzzling.

1 Like

How about you provide a link to what you’re talking about here, as the best I could find was in a wiki article on writing style for talking about fiction that secondary sources are good for basically biographical info on the author

Examples of useful information typically provided by secondary sources about the original work, or primary and secondary sources about information related to the work, include the:

• author, creator, or other key figures in the creation process (e.g., the cinematographer for films or notable translators for novels);
  • production company and/or publishing house;
  • design and development (at all stages of the work’s creation);

I’m going off this type of concept.

The term word of god is used to describe interpretations of canon that come directly from the author, show creator, and other authorities of this sort. Word of god is often used to settle canon vs. fanon disputes (especially involving shipping [1] [2]) and sometimes to announce retcons. It also frequently causes wank.

1 Like

WoW doesn’t have genetics. It has cosmology. It has a literal pantheon
 and if we follow that cosmology path “High Elf” isn’t the root

and WoW doesn’t have taxonomic ranks really. They don’t have “Clades” that evolve, they just have base groups that get magic stuff happen to them and change their names.

Highmountain Tauren are Highmountain Tauren, and they didn’t, “Evolve Antlers.” Cenarius gave em’ some Moose Horns. But the group name is still probably, “Tauren.”

Lightforged and Broken Draenei at a base root are, “Draenei.”

So why would we treat Elves differently? They’re “Elves” which is pretty fair, considering they’re technically still “Night Elves”.

4 Likes

The Judaic religions frown on that.

1 Like

Do you really need to ask this?

Everyone who knows the Lore that the High Elves evolved from Highborne Night Elves who all evolved from Trolls.

But Night Elves and High Elves are genetically still very much different from one another to where you could easily tell the difference between the two.

Dorei.

Dorei = People in Thalassian and Darnassian, which, when translated to common = Elf.

1 Like

Yeah, but there hasn’t been any In-Universe reason for them to call their pale, short and or blue and tentacally version of all three races by any name.

And the only out of universe reason to do it is because people are arguing about it all of the time.

and if we’re just gonna make up a term out of universe to talk about the collection of elves I feel like it should at least be absurd and nonsensical
 and we should all take it very seriously.

We should all just agree that they’re Boon-Giggidy’s or something. Then just have serious, but futile arguments about it like we do.

But until they form an Alliance or something, there is no way to talk about the short pale elves collectively that’s accurate.

1 Like

I’m honestly tired of this discussion now because it’s obvious like a lot of discussions in these threads we all go in circles and achieve nothing but higher post counts.

2 Likes

Have you renewed your sub yet?

1 Like

Yes. Thru various means.

And yeah. I think that around a year ago there was a purpose, kind of. Like, not everybody involved in these longer discussions was actually aware of the Lore, so having these arguments had a general wow education effect.

But where we are now, since it’s always the same people duking it out, people either know the lore or are generally being obtuse about it.

There was a good community discussion too but that got jammed up when they started locking the threads down. In between the troll arguments.

We should hang out sometime. I’m pretty locked down right now. But I should have some time in a few weeks.

2 Likes

One the reasons I use to use Kaldorei, Quel’dorei, Sin’dorei, Ren’dorei until people complained I was using them. So peeps knew who I was talking about.

2 Likes

As is suggested in the excerpt you provided, this concept is primarily employed to provide clarity on issues that aren’t made clear in-universe – this doesn’t really apply to our particular discussion, because it is made egregiously clear in-universe that neither BE’s nor VE’s refer to their broader ethnicity as “High Elf”.

The word “dorei” is translated as “children”.

1 Like

Uh
no.
individuals can serve as a primary source if they are directly connected to it. Both Metzen and Ion are the producers of it, they are the primary source. This is like stating J.K. Rowling is not a primary source in reference to Harry Potter. That is an utterly ridiculous notion in itself.

No, it doesn’t, because those beings are not real. What they think does not matter, as it is what the player and developers know that does matter.
No one cares if Harry Potter never refers to himself as the boy who lived, he is still the boy who lived.
It doesn’t matter.

4 Likes