The High Elf Love Thread šŸ„°

ā€œWEā€™VE ALREADY DISPOSED OF THOSE ARGUMENTS, WEā€™VE REFUTED THEM ALL, YOUā€™RE JUST MEAN AND WANT TO DENY US WHAT WE WANT FOR NO REASON OTHER THAN MALICE AND SPITE!ā€

Iā€™m kiddingā€¦

I was curious because you were a NIght Elf player.

The only thing Iā€™d say to your response is to correct this:

I donā€™t think thatā€™s true.

When it comes to the, ā€œThey didnā€™t use Felā€ thingā€¦ I think thatā€™s a consistency thing. They donā€™t do the Fel thingā€¦ and I think thatā€™s a really important part of their story, because historically High Elves try and avoid that whole historical demon invasion bit.

And I think itā€™s a really important part of Blood Elf Lore that theyā€™re so distraught over getting eaten by zombies that theyā€™re willing to do anything.

Iā€™m fine with High Elves doing bad things. I just want them to be consistent.

I know. :+1:

6 Likes

Nor I.

Additionally, the overwhelming majority of the folks who legitimately hope for ā€œWhite Knight High Elvesā€ are almost always the least versed on the history of the High Elves ā€“ meaning their opinions, unfortunately, have very little actionable value.

Itā€™s worth noting that Alleria is a fan favorite, despite being downright genocidal at one point ā€“ exterminating the orcs like vermin.

2 Likes

I see a small problem with this statement.

Captain Thaloā€™thas Brightsun is a quest giver located in Ratchet in the Northern Barrens. He is aligned with the Steamwheedle Cartel in Ratchet and heads the Thaloā€™dan Privateers.

Thaloā€™thas offers the quest H [15] A Captainā€™s Vengeance to Horde player characters, expressing an open hostility to the Alliance fleet which has attacked his ships. He is friendly to Alliance player characters though, but will not offer the quest to them.

Prior to Cataclysm , he offered H [20] The Guns of Northwatch, which sent Horde players to attack Northwatch Hold for firing upon his ships.

He defended the town during the Legion Invasions.

3 Likes

Vereesaā€™s got an axe to grind too.

World of Warcraft in the first place is supposed to be shades of grey. Warcraft III is all about, ā€œHey these orcs arenā€™t all bad.ā€ and, ā€œHey look there are bad humans.ā€

Yeah the Blood Elves went off the deep end a little and did some really bad stuff. But theyā€™re not, ā€œThe Bad Guys.ā€

Lorā€™themar is simultaneously a really good dude and a tyrant because heā€™s gotta be.

Itā€™s all more complicated than that.

5 Likes

Yeah, Thaloā€™thas was a weird example. As Tarrok said, he offers quests to Horde, not Alliance. This is because the Alliance navy attacked his pirate fleet. This is also why heā€™s not hostile to Alliance players. He doesnā€™t have a beef with the entire Alliance, just its navy.

You asked. :slight_smile:

Perception is just that, our views are all colored by the lenses we look through and my set of lenses leads to where I am on the subject.

5 Likes

Personally I want High Elves because theyā€™ve proven that theyā€™re loyal to the Alliance. Also thereā€™s some appeal in playing a race thatā€™s rare and exotic, I like the fact that they are few in number

I donā€™t want to play them because they can do no wrong and are perfect in every way possible. Every version of Thalassian elf is flawed in some way

8 Likes

Aww, I thought I was doing so well.

I could definitely be remembering seeing him on some transitory horde toon of the past. And you should pull a pic of him in classic, like a Zelda refugee.

Mea Culpa.

But the fact remains that therein started the kernel of my idea that the perfect version of WoW might one day exist wherein I might get to be that however briefly.

I have been waiting years upon years for that opportunity. And in that time I have come to understand my distaste for the mud hut venues and one plus one equals apple take from the Horde side.

The Alliance and its history, its foundations were much more something in which I could invest as a character and a player.

And imagine my surprise to find out I was not alone. There were many of us, many players who imagined themselves in that idyllic version where they could play this race that would be perfect for them, in the setting that seemed best.

That version, so close for all those years, was finally stymied by one person. And in that time all the thin, gauzy reasons for not adding them have fallen away or been torn off by the very people who swore they would never give this segment of the paying player-base what it had waited and asked for all those years.

I imagine it might have found its appeal to others in other ways. I feel like I saw the first High Elf in the game there in Ratchet. It was certainly the first one I had ever seen in the game.

It was like a quiet promise for a bright future. When I remember those days it reminds me what hope was like.

Now, its late.

But its not too late.

High Elves for Alliance.

4 Likes

Blizzard has done some stupid things over the years but nonchalantly returning ā€œHigh Elvesā€ to Blood Elves isnā€™t going to be one with them.

Anyone treating the subject as possible is actually trolling, saying it because they know it will ā€œtriggerā€ people who want High Elves.

You especially know itā€™s trolling because thatā€™s apparently the first ā€œOMG ITā€™S PoSSibLeā€ topic rather than the FAR more likely Undead customization that has actually been asked for on the Horde.

Just goes to show what a dumpster these forums are.

2 Likes

Well apparently in ptr, the Mechagnomes flag has a space for another allied race in embassy, and the allied race option in character select has 2 more spacesā€¦ one be Vulpera and Mechagnomes, plus a gap for horde and allianceā€¦ so maybe we get another one before expansion??

Theirs still hope for High Elves! :grin:

4 Likes

The most obvious candidates are going to be High Elves and Forsaken Night Elves.

1. Theyā€™re a BE/NE AR pair like the first VE/NB were
  2. They re-emphasized HE and Undead NE in the final quest of the patch showing both Vereesa and Delaryn, with Calia helping the latter
  3. Undead BE are most likely a skin of BE and weā€™re missing an alternate undead race
  4. High Elves are still the most requested alliance AR and this might be their way to say ā€œf it just take itā€ to drop the subject forever as part of their latent apology tour

But then again 99% of people thought factions were going away so attempting to predict anything out of Blizzard (other than not doing something blatantly PR damaging) is pointless.

7 Likes

I agree 100%, like I said they made it obvious in the ptr theirs gonna be another allied race. So now we play the waiting game.

3 Likes

Iā€™m more convinced about Undead Night Elves than I am of High Elves though, just gonna say that. And the Undead NE can go either Horde or Alliance.

1 Like

Who knows, they could pull one from under us and finally horde get Ogres? And if alliance get High Elves that be the Original Factions completedā€¦ the OG

1 Like

If Horde get playable ogers I will lose all respect for this faction and chalk it up to another reason the living need to be put down.

Yeah I mention Alliance because just like the Horde will probably get undead BE, the Alliance is also a candidate for undead Night Elves as an NE skin leaving another option for the Horde like Ogres based on the Kul Tiran model (cause we know thatā€™s the real reason they made Kul Tiran models).

Iā€™m optimistic that theyā€™ll do High Elves as they are going all out on OG customization while admitting to NOT doing them for allied races

1 Like

What would be fun there is if Alliance got the undead Blood Elves, and the Horde got the Undead Night Elves.

Undead Blood (technically High) Elves on Alliance is as memeworthy as Horde High Elves, so I really doubt it.

1 Like

Doubt, but would be fun none the less.

Haha well I just think itā€™s the most obvious option for Blood Elf alternate skins, especially with this whole expansion themed on death and stuff