The High Elf Love Thread šŸ„°

Okā€¦I think I understand what you were referring to. I personally donā€™t know what significance file names have for the game, though.
Youā€™re welcomeā€¦you make it easier for me to try to be nicer in these topics, so thanks.
I think some of the problem here with repeated behavior is that some people just canā€™t forgive or forget even is someone is trying to be better. And sometimes people just dontā€™ care because they get fed up with being treated badly.

1 Like

I donā€™t think itā€™s possible to provide ā€œevidence.ā€ Some people cannot be convinced

But would High Elves being playable really destroy the game and lore? That seems a bit too extreme. Them simply existing is already part of the lore, them being playable wouldnā€™t really change much

6 Likes

In Game as we speak.

6 Likes

I donā€™t think there needs to be a more valid reason than that.

Was on life support in Vanilla when Forsaken and Nelves were shoved onto the factions, and then died in BC when Shaman and Paladin ceased to be faction specific, and belves went Horde. Itā€™d be like if Trolls went Alliance and the Horde never could get a Troll Race.

Velves, Nightborne, and Zandalari all say hello.

The concerns of those against them are largely mired in cosmetics and a borderline paranoid fear that belves will cease to be relevant, somehow. On a good day they come across as points for a civil, intellectual debate. On a bad day, they come across as the ravings of anti-vax parents on steroids. Not that the side for helves is much better on their bad days.

In the end, the concerns of those against the idea are not exactly relevant to the decision of making helves playable on the Alliance or not. Itā€™s not as if Alliance players were consulted about the addition of belves to the Horde. Or that either playerbase was consulted about velves even being a thing, or which side Nightborne went to, or, really, any new race.

12 Likes

How else do you take a race (a remnant of a race even) that is known to have:

• Minimal population
  • No sense of culture or community
  • No racial leader
  • No actual home of their own

And turn them into what would likely be one of THE most playable races in the Alliance and say it doesnā€™t break the lore of the game?

Their numbers are THE most defined population numbers in the game. Thatā€™s not up for debate short of an AU option or a total retcon. All sources and Bliz themselves donā€™t look at them as a ā€œraceā€ at all ā€¦

ā€¦ but sure. Letā€™s fill the game with them.

Also we have more connection to Quelā€™dorei then you in game atm.

While the horde is killing them off We are actually fighting with them.

7 Likes

Alright so since I wont hear back from the Vikingaboo, Valarian, and the silenced one: let me explain how Koltira is a high elf DK but becomes a blood elf.

So we know for a fact that Koltira dies in the Scourge Invasion of Elf Lands. We have a comic and even some WotLK lore which prove this. On top of this, Koltira was raised by Thassarian immediately after his deathā€¦making him under the Lich Kings will even before Kaelthas showed up to make his decree.

This makes Koltira not a blood elf death knight during this time.

He only becomes a blood elf death knight after the events of the Lights Hope Chapel: when both factions accept dks back into their ranks.

This means that when Koltira (the main Horde DK representative) rejoins his people, that he becomes a blood elf upon rejoining his people.

This gives the leeway to saying high elf DKs (if they exist outside of Koltira) would rejoin the Horde since there is already a pathway there.

/signed
A 120 DK player.

3 Likes

Are we talking about helves or velves? Because the answer to your question is, they did it with velves just fine, and velves are in an even worse position, really.

Again, weā€™ve got races with smaller numbers that are playable.

12 Likes

Wasnā€™t he the guy that Sylvanas sucks into a portal for betraying her?

Seems very Blood Elf-aligned to me.

Yes. But he is a blood elf upon readmittance to the Horde, not before it.

He died while defending Quelthelas during the Scourge invasion which was before High Elves named themselves Blood Elves.
So he was turned while a high elf.

And thatā€™s what Iā€™m against: another slap-to-the-face of the lore in the game.

Youā€™re also talking about races that wouldnā€™t be as played as High Elves likely would. Youā€™re also talking to about races that were implemented due to existing storyline (albeit some terribly) and not a race that has already had itā€™s population defined.

Also, with Velfs and LFD, the writers and the story themselves have left the population open to expand. Both races come from a process whereby their infused with void or light. It wouldnā€™t be outside the realm of possibility (and even stated by the devs with Velfs) that there ARE members of their parent races which are undergoing these rituals (High Elves to Velf, regular Draenei to LFD) which muddies the population waters even more.

Iā€™m not saying that as a ā€œthis is what I think is happeningā€ declaration. Iā€™m saying to clarify that there isnā€™t any wiggle room when it comes to High Elves and how many of them there are in comparison to other races where the population numbers are questionable.

And letā€™s be honest: how often do you run into a LFD player in-game lol.

Again, this is a pointless concern. The Darkspear Trolls were a single, tiny tribe, virtually extinct when the Horde saved them. It says so in their description on Blizzardā€™s own website. Meanwhile weā€™ve got enough helves to spread across various lodges, populate Dalaran, and field forces for combat. There are more helves than Darkspear Trolls, and there arenā€™t any options to get more Darkspears other than procreation.

Well, procreation, or we do what we did with the Magā€™har and pull some from an alternate timeline. Or maybe find an island full of them. Really, there are plenty of ways to get more helves. They just have to be written in. For all we know, lost members of Alleriaā€™s forces from the Second War build a city in the Twisting Nether and have lived there for 10,000 years of their time and suddenly thereā€™s so many helves that the belves arenā€™t even 1% of their numbers.

So, to point at numbers and keep on saying, ā€œThereā€™s too few,ā€ is just pointless. Thereā€™s as many as there needs to be at a given time.

12 Likes

Gonna upset The Blood Elf players with this one.

Good.

4 Likes

I understand the concerns and problems involved with adding High Elves as an allies race, I just think Blizz can find a believable way overcome them

To add to what my Dwarf friend has said already, itā€™s true that itā€™d be weird if High Elf players suddenly started appearing everywhere, but it isnā€™t as strange to me as seeing every paladin and their mother wield the one and only Ashbringer.

I know thatā€™s not an apple to apple comparison, but what players do/have in game hardly ever represents lore accurately

8 Likes

Game Scale is another reason why we donā€™t see more in Stormwind and in other locations Of Current Alliance Allied Quelā€™dore, IMHO.

4 Likes

We could assume that every Blood Elf DK was someone who died defending Silvermoon, honestly

I donā€™t have any sources to back this up, but I remember someone telling me that Koltira considered joining the Alliance before ultimately choosing to join his kin in the Horde. Anyone know if thatā€™s true? If it is we could assume that High Elf DKā€™s in the Alliance would be possible at least

2 Likes

Koltira is honestly the reason DKs should never be a class available to the helves.

6 Likes

You think so? I donā€™t know much about the guy, but if he considered joining the Alliance before perhaps other High Elves have gone through the same thought process

1 Like

To be fair the only reason he thought about it was because his heterosexual life partner was Alliance.

1 Like