The High Elf Love Thread đŸ„°

No, they’re not. No more than high elves, blood elves and void elves are night elves or night elves are Zandalari.

They were once night elves.

1 Like

I know, that’s what I said too! It’s why I used the word technically. I’ll try to phrase it better next time. The point still stands that all the Elf races in question are still, fundamentally, Elves. That being said, Nightborne don’t seem so drastically different from Night Elves that they’re NOT Night Elves at least in some sense. More evolved, maybe? Definitely transformed. They aren’t Kaldorei at least.

I will grant that my argument comes form the fact that they are still recognizably Elven. It’s just my opinion though, and yeah, I could very well be wrong on that note.

1 Like

No, that’s still not right. By that metric modern humans are technically h. erectus.

A common ancestor doesn’t make them the same thing, it makes them related.

2 Likes

I’m 
not sure that’s a good comparison, given that h. erectus and h. sapiens are pretty vastly different from what I remember of reading of them a few years ago, as opposed the Kaldorei and Shal’dorei who’s differences, while still pretty overtly clear, don’t appear to be so dramatic as to make them completely different species’ of Elf. But then again this is WoW shrug

With that being said though, you are right to say that they’re related. That is more what I was trying to get at, but in this instance you put it better than I did.

1 Like

Because RPers don’t represent canon
even a little? Anyone can RP any headcanon they chose (and I’m not using that term in a derogatory manner, RP can go wherever the player wants it to) with no regard at all for the canonical materials.

Thank you for that gem of a reference.

They can, though. Rpers headcanon and canon; to varying degrees or at the same time. Usually depends on the player, of course. I was trying to say that they shouldn’t be disregarded completely, that’s all.

1 Like

No they are not. Shal’dorei are not Night Elves, they were once Highborne but after 10,000 years under a sunless, moonless dome drawing power from the Nightwell they are no longer. Thalyssra said it best
“it changed us”. Go read the whole thing, she’s clear on the point.

2 Likes

I’m aware of this now, don’t worry about it. I actually went and made sure to read up on them too on WoWpedia, so it’s all good. I’ll acknowledge I should have done that first, but that’s okay. The more you know!

1 Like

A topic about high elves but people talking about nightbourne and night we elves

1 Like

:woman_shrugging:

Like 90% of blood elf threads get derailed by people talking about high elves. It doesn’t seem like a big deal.

2 Likes

I remember there used to be 10 threads asking for high elves as playable race

When the echo chamber was destroyed, they came popping out into forums, like daises!

2 Likes

They were never echo chambers, the opposition has been almost equally strong

5 Likes

Love this thread.

3 Likes

Please don’t make me have to get into the 'Even scientists can’t get into the definition of what species should be" debate again, otherwise I’ll pop back into the thread

I’d be arguing the phylogentic definition wherein H. erectus is unquestionably separate from H. sapiens because going the biology route always will end in tears.

There’s no point in talking about real world science in regards to WoW. Humans and High Elves can have children together despite their species not being related to each other at all, so yeah

6 Likes

I’m really confused. One sentence you’re acting like you’re disagreeing with me and then the next sentence you’re backing the point I was making.

Let me put some background on this as an RPer from one of the more notable guilds in the RP realms:

Each realm is dictated by server canon; each server has a different set of rules and guidelines set up by the supposed RPers through the Stormwind/Orgrimmar Law.

Each guild has its own guild canon. Events can happen which dictate around whats available in game and expand upon certain aspects. These aspects shouldnt be used in world RP, and solely in guild/private events.

There are server events which do dictate server canon that play into the story of the current expansions
but do not change the lore of the game but work in tandem.

Characters themselves also serve as their own form of fanon.

Not technically true since Koltira exists on Horde side as a high elf death knight and it is completely possible that they do exist as a result. It just isnt done because of the “mary-sue” or “rarity” rules.

Its why people who openly RP as dragons, creature races, villain races, etc
are not taken seriously or when they are that they are rarer than the drop rate of Invincible.

I think its more the issue of the half elves have really never been developed since the RPG, and the RPG is now defunct and non-canon.

If we take the RPG for note, they state the existence of a half-elf is rare but also not fun (since Alliance are pretty racist against high elves, from the same RPG).

If we look at WoW: we have only really seen two actually half elves in the form of a dead Guardian and the prodigal son of light and shadow.