The High Elf Love Thread đŸ„°

I think you can say with about a 100% certainty it wasn’t.

2 Likes

its just grasping at straws. ofc no living elf dare remain in quel’thalas at that moment. but they would regroup and reclaim it later

2 Likes

The interaction between Kael’thas and Tyrande confirms there were no more remaining High elves after Quel’thalas was destroyed. When Tyrande asks Kael why his High elven brothren do not fight the Undead alongside him he states that his bloodline has been spent, and that the remaining High elves have changed their names into Blood Elves.

2 Likes

And then Vanilla WoW proved him wrong.

5 Likes

Okay, but that wasn’t the point of their conversation. Drede was saying how Blood elves were retconned for WoW, while neglecting to point out that High elves were retconned as well.

4 Likes

Still supporting high elves on Alliance. Blizzard needs to make this happen.

9 Likes

blood elves werent retconned we can go back to caydiems quote in 2005 saying blood elves are the only group of high elves with any significant standing to add to the story, while ‘high’ elves were very few. a couple NPCs in classic disproves nothing

2 Likes

They weren’t. Even in Warcraft 3 there still were the high elves with Jaina.
Warcraft RPG had high elves, and it was released after WC3 and with dev input. Old development WoW maps also showed high elves among Alliance cities.

11 Likes

rpg is fanfiction at this point

yes and they integrated into theramor and are now dead

3 Likes

But it wasn’t back then.

Doesn’t matter for this discussion, which is to show that blood elves in the Horde were a decision late in WoW development and not something planned in Warcraft 3.

5 Likes

Information from the RPG is, and was notoriously unreliable and inconsistent with the game’s lore. Just like Hearthstone has it’s own lore that sometimes can make its way into retail, but not a reliable source.

Pretty sure Jaina did not have all the High elves we see on the Alliance with her in WC3, many of which were retconned into WoW for it’s release.

4 Likes

The info on the first few books was incredibly accurate back then and had lots of information proven true years later.

Dev input stopped after the initial batch of books, but the information there was gold back then.

Here’s a 1999 WoW map. Blue marks are Alliance cities, green marks are Horde cities and red marks are enemy (Undead/demon/naga) cities. Check out Silvermoon’s color:

10 Likes

Okay, but it’s explicitly non-canon.

2 Likes

Today, it is.
The point is that we are going back in time and analyzing dev input back then, their plans before they were changed. Devs still pull ideas from the RPG to this day.

8 Likes

This could still be said today though, much of the information you find in RPG books can still be found in the story for retail, but that doesn’t make them valid, canon sources to go by. Until information from the game collaborates, or confirms what was said in the book, it can’t be taken as a valid source of information.

While much of the information was consistent with in-game lore, many elements were also inconsistent for roleplaying purposes.

3 Likes

I’m not discussing lore, I’m discussing development history, because you people insist in bringing Warcraft 3 as “proof” blood elves were planned as a Horde race from the start.

No it hasn’t.

If I were discussing lore, I’d bring newest, most valid lore. Which includes high elves still being a part of the Alliance to this day.

12 Likes

Of course the problem with that is we don’t know how much of it is accurate.

It being made non-canon sort of retroactively destroys its credibility as a source.

5 Likes

But you’re bringing up a source that was intended for roleplaying purposes, not official development for the playable game. Many things were changed in the RPG to facilitate different types of roleplayers, from population numbers to cultural shifts that’d make zero sense in WoW. You can’t use information that was intended for a completely different style of play, as evidence for the direction they were taking the game.

6 Likes

i recommend referring to another book in the future, World of Warcraft Chronicle Volume 3 which is for sale on amazon for less then 30 bucks before taxes. used for even less

alliance high elves are nothing but a few individuals. 6 to be exact. 2 in SW 4 in BFA content. they will never be an alliance race because they are already a core horde race. and that low representation isnt even their biggest problem, its being identical to blood elves

1 Like

I can’t believe people still use this as an argument :joy:

13 Likes