The High Elf Love Thread đŸ„°

Good to know she’s doing ok. ty!

1 Like

Well that’s ironic.

5 Likes

You might be right, however * No Survivors in Silvermoon, is not the same as No Survivors of Silvermoon. The Survivors fled Silvermoon, thus there would technically be no survivors in Silvermoon. However the Kingdom of Quel’thalas wasn’t/isn’t just Silvermoon, so there were Survivors of Quel’thalas, they just chose to flee Silvermoon.

Is Kirela okay? She seems to have gone off the deep end lately.

You can ask her on the disc if you really care.

1 Like

oh? How so?

Yeah that doesn’t make sense. As long as a single elf is living anywhere in the world, you can never say there are no survivors of Silvermoon.

3 Likes

Regardless it was empty and nothing was living there.

The playable Blood Elf group was retconned in to be survivors who rebuilt after Kael’thas fled to Outland.

The first lore was that all of the Blood Elves where with Kael’thas in Outland.

It stayed the same in Vanilla WoW with all of the ones not being part of Kael’thas group still being High Elves in the Alliance and a few other areas.

BC came and they added a new group separate from Kael’thas group so they could add Blood Elves to the Horde.

Originally Blood Elves where meant to be nothing but Villains in outland so they needed to add a new group not quite as bad to become playable.

7 Likes

It’s not a retcon. And it would just make alliance high elves even rarer if not non-existant. There is no more mention of high elves after the destruction of Dalaran and a few going with Jaina. Everything switches to blood elf from then on. That’s the retcon and backed up by lore unlike your unsupported opinions.

1 Like

They are in the freaking game

14 Likes

It was indeed a retcon. Thalassian elves are a very rare sight in Classic, so far I’ve only seen one High Elf and one Blood Elf. That’s because prior to TBC Silvermoon was in ruins and abandoned, the remaining Blood Elves on Azeroth becoming a scattered and near extinct people. The only gathering of them in Classic that I’m currently aware of is a lodge that the Horde attacks in an attempt to slaughter as many High Elves as possible

TBC retconed their population back into being (and did a major disservice to Kael’thas’ character too, which I’m still mad about). That’s when they became a part of the Horde identity. Not what would’ve happened had the story remained consistent, but the Blood Elves were written pretty well in TBC

I feel like I went off on a tangent there
 My apologies

2 Likes

I’m not 100% sure I agree entirely. At their last appearance in TFZ they’d left the Alliance in fairly spectacular fashion and by the back half of that campaign they were well on their way to becoming the blood elves we know today. If they’d remained consistent with their writing, it wouldn’t have made sense for them to join the Alliance or Horde and instead remain with Illidan as either antagonists, a neutral faction or a third faction in their own right.

But (and it’s a big but), I feel that the Horde’s core values more closely align with that of the reborn blood elves. Even in WC3 they were very clearly fixed on the concept of rebirth and basically starting again. This is a concept that fits in perfectly with the Horde, but clashes quite strongly with the Alliance’s focus on tradition.

Sure, the orcs and the blood elves had beef in the past but the orcs were clearly trying to remake themselves as the blood elves were and part of that is forgetting old grudges.

4 Likes

I completely agree. It would’ve made sense if the Blood Elves hadn’t joined either faction. They definitely had more beef with the Horde at the time, they wouldn’t have liked Orcs, Trolls or the Forsaken, but the way they were written in was well done

The new Blood Knights put them at odds with the traditional paladins of the Alliance, and the Forsaken providing aid to them as the nearest possible ally helped make that relationship much more believable

Ultimately it seems like, imo at least, Blizzard just wanted to do blood elves as a playable race because they’re such a longtime race within the series and as a side bonus it would allow them to keep the Horde playerbase from collapsing in BC which was probably a pretty good move.

3 Likes

Aye. I’ll make the argument that the Blood Elves wouldn’t have joined the Horde prior to TBC, but only because of what we knew at the time. Blizz made the right decision in the end

1 Like

Theramore is still in the game?

Except the words used in the in-game book “Sunwell - The Fall of Quel’thalas” are:

By the time Arthas and his army of the dead turned southward, not one living elf remained in Quel’Thalas. The glorious homeland of the high elves, which had stood for more than nine thousand years, was no more.

No living elf remained in Quel’thalas.

That was the lore before TBC retconned it.

Back then, high elves were Alliance and blood elves were the ones with Kael’thas. Lor’themar, Rommath, Halduron, Liadrin and all the survivors in Quel’thalas were created after vanilla, just so the Horde could have its blood elves.

(Funny thing, I just noticed another retcon: the book says QT endured for nine thousand years, but Chronicle makes its foundation around 7,000 years ago. That’s just to show how lore changes all the time.)

Here’s the link:

Your post wasn’t restricted to Theramore. You even cited Dalaran, and we know there’s lot of high elves in Dalaran. Your post was about how there was no mention in lore to high elves after the events you cited.

Except that the high elves have appeared in WoW vanilla and every single expansion since.

11 Likes

We can’t be sure there that are a lot of High Elves in Dalaran. We see quite a few in game, but it’s stated that they’re uncommon even there. It is the city with the largest population of Thalassian elves outside of Silvermoon, though

It is correct that there have been Alliance High Elves since vanilla and every expansion with the exception of WoD, too

this book means nothing, it probably wasnt even written by a high/blood elf. everyone knows the high elves who survived scattered and went into hiding in the woods. some were lucky enough to be away at the time housed in dalaran or traveled with jaina to theramore(who would die later). theron would regroup and gather the survivors. kael did the same in dalaran

The surviving elves were somewhat scattered, until Kael’thas Sunstrider, son of the deceased Anasterian, began to organize them by reclaiming every elf he could find and joining with Lor’themar Theron, who had done the same in Quel’Thalas. Under Kael’s leadership, they took the name blood elves, to remember the death of their king and brethren. About 90% of all surviving high elves became blood elves.

its possible every high elf, swept up with a sense of nationalism, accepted the rebranding in this moment and only later rejected it. we dont know, development would have to comment on it. the hut elves we know for sure accepted it and later reverted back to calling themselves ‘high’ elves. so we know how easy it is to identify or change the adjective you wish to use

it doesnt matter. the dalaran high elves evacuated with kael to quel’thalas and became blood elves too. then returned with him later and settled back in sunreaver sanctuary when it was rebuilt

the majority of ‘high’ elves in dalaran today are neutral citizens and have no interest in endless faction wars

2 Likes