The Great Draenei Thread!

Just because they can does not mean they should.

Yes, we’re the best /hairflip

Guess that makes sense, it’s just reusing stuff. Not that the mag’har weren’t the laziest addition anyway.

Lore misconception , the only reason they procreated was because Gul’dan used dark magic on the conception.

The draenei (army of light) are literally running a campaign much like the legion in the AU. They literally wipe out all of draenor that doesn’t convert. Needless to say that AU draenor is now AU outland. Not sure how you could even think that.

Bow before the light cockroach!

2 Likes

This is my kink.

The orcs needed to be killed to prevent their pollution from further killing the planet. That they care enough to let some orcs redeem themselves instead of just killing them all is an absurd thing to be angry over.

you also forget, the draenei army only attacks the orcs because you help genderbent thrall kill not only a lightforged ambassador, but also because you killed a unit of the draenei military sent after you killed the lightbound ambassador.

Draenei allied race is lazy and pathetic

They were already at war, and the mag’har were losing dearly due to being outnumbered severely. Nothing you did caused that, nor could you change what was going to happen. You’re acting as if we caused the war lol. There isn’t anything that hints that the way that draenor looks is caused by pollution, if anything it is indicative of the planet dying due to so much war and being out of wack due to the imbalance of overbearing light.

High Exarch Yrel yells: Your people are choking the life from this world… dooming the land to desiccation.

Grommash Hellscream yells: How can you be so blind, Yrel? It is the Light that has doomed this world!

Seeing as the draenei and army of light are the ones that started the war, due to their obsession with light. I’m going to go out on a limb and say that they are killing draenor as well.

1 Like

I wrote a big thing but it basically boiled down to “Yeah, the points are good. The writing tells us half the story. If you dig deeper you see the orcs aren’t revealing what started the problems. Only their perception of ‘why would anyone give up our culture? We’re perfect!’ and a whole lot of “My son would never convert because he’s a good kid. It must be his friends forcing him!””

Personally, I’ve always felt there was more to it than the orcs were telling. There had to be a reason for Yrel to do what she did, because we spent 2 years basically grooming her into a kind and gentle person who wanted what was best for everyone; even if that everyone was part of the group who enslaved her, murdered her sister, and had her mentor and love interest killed.

So yeah, I agree. We see it from the orc perspective, and everything is skewed by that lens. Not to say they’re wrong, because we simply can’t know without getting an Alliance counterpart scenario… But our parity for it, the Dark Iron scenario is just… a repair job. Horde get to make the naaru out to be evil, despite 12 years of lore saying otherwise, while Alliance go and fix a cracked anvil.

You’re not wrong, but as said… Without seeing things from the draenei’s perspective we just have the Mag’har… who were pretty specifically written to look both badass (flavor text) and the victim (quest chain overall) which really doesn’t mix well because the two are almost opposites. Either they obliterated everything else and some realized the error of their ways… or the draenei are genocidal maniacs hellbent on converting everyone and killing those who refuse.

But… No sane draenei would ever do that. The deeper we dig, the more we find out there’s something going on and we don’t get the full picture. Still, I’d go full on LUX VULT if Yrel came to the main universe. I’d fight beside her come Hell of high water.

A lot of the Mag’har scenario is designed to make them look like the victims despite all the evil, horrifying things they’ve done. Maybe if we’d gotten that Shattrath raid and whatever “Yrel’s dark secret” was instead of having WoD become Orcs of Orccraft: Orclords of Orcnor things might’ve gone differently.

But who would want to ever breed with an orc? Gross. Ew. Just. Ew.

2 Likes

Yeah we only see it from the Mag’har point of view, and they’re the ones who were killing off the indigenous wildlife and plantlife; not the other way around. The draenei offering salvation to a race who were destroying their planet? It’s more likely than you think!

You’re one to talk, gnome. But yeah, Lightforged, Highmountain, Mag’har, and Dark Iron could’ve all been added as appearance tweaks and would’ve been fine.

Technically, they were at war because of Grommash when we were there, which was 30ish years prior to the time period of the Mag’har scenario. However it’s stated that between those two times, the two races became friendly and worked together to fix things up; the draenei were even nice enough to teach the orcs to read! Unfortunately, a lot of things are simply handwaved; like Durotan’s death and Not!Garrosh converting (with the implication that it was willing) to be a Lightbound himself. None of these things are given concrete explanations and are instead told to us by orcs. And orcs, whether you want to believe it or not, are not reliable narrators. This isn’t to say they’re maliciously lying to the player, but they’re not omniscient. They can’t simply know the motivations of other characters without it being told to them and we see from gossip text of other orcs that they’re the ones who started killing off the wildlife and plant life. Do remember the one who comments they miss grilling up Botani; ‘shame we killed them all’ (paraphrased). And because orcs would see their own culture as superior (as is natural for any race, I play a draenei and my warrior here damn well sees her culture as superior to orcs’.) they could easily be presumed to not understand why someone would choose to not continue it.

As for the quotes? That’s a he-said-she-said and without us being there beforehand, there’s no way to know who truthfully knows what’s killing the planet and which one of them is assuming the other is doing it. However, that gossip text… The one that has orcs admitting to destroying the delicate balance of Draenor’s ecosystems? It sort of lets the cat out of the bag. Oops.

I’d like some actual chat logs of the orcs admitting that. I don’t remember that, nor can I find anything on it. However, I do have substantiated evidence of the light fanatics being culprits.

Alleria’s Vision of The Light during in her Short Story:

She saw the Light moving through the cosmos like a ravenous predator. She saw it touch the minds of Azeroth’s mortals—a touch that corrupted them forever. She saw generations live and die in invisible chains, bound to a force that granted them fleeting moments of peace in exchange for absolute obedience.

She saw war. She saw darkened worlds burning in holy fire. She saw millions of creatures encased in luminous crystals the size of mountains, sustained by the Light and unable to die. Warriors of the Light were monsters, corrupting and consuming everything they touched.

It’s commentary from one of the limbflayers. The text is in a block with Limbflayer Lasha. She comments how they ‘miss’ the Botani because they tasted so good.

As for Alleria’s vision? Since when has the void ever been trustworthy?

Consider: We’ve worked with naaru and the light for over a decade now. They advise and reward us for dealing with Kael’thas once it’s known he’s sold out to the Legion. They help us against Illidan when he was all being evil in the wild west days of Burning Crusade. Their sacrifice helped to purify the Sunwell for the Blood Elves. They help with things like Crusader Bridenbrad in WotLK. (And c’mon, don’t bastardize that. It was an allegory for cancer’s cycle of hope and despair, and meant as a monument to the death of a developer’s relative.) They have shown nothing but compassion up until we met Xe’ra. She was even stated to be the odd windchime out by the devs in old interviews. (And to be fair it would be WAY more interesting to see a faction fight between the ‘we must advise the mortal races but not intervene ourselves’ versus the ‘we must control them to do our bidding for the Greater Good!’ naaru. That’d be awesome. But this is Blizzard…)

My apologies my fellow esteemed college, we did not mean to ignore your question for so long. I will happily answer it if your still curios. No it is not the forehead that attracts us, it is the tendrils.

So you think a quote that’s practically background noise matters more than a prophecy from an important npc? All that information tells me is that all of the botani is dead, but doesn’t explain anything. The prophecy explains what happened to the wild life. The light burned everything in sight, which is why smoke is everywhere and the world darkened. It’s okay to be the bad guys sometimes.

You also have to realize this is AU not the same characters you are referring to.

/Waggle

Base form is boring. Get forged in the light.

3 Likes

Lightforged are a gift.

1 Like

I mean, technically it is the same AU as the one we went to in WoD. So y’know, wrong there. Like there’s specifically text from Grommash saying he remembers people like the player character helping.

As for a prophecy, you mean a thing that’s not even in the game and comes from a void lord? The ones who are known to be liars because they want to kill and devour everything?

And if the light burns everything in sight… how are the orcs and draenei still alive? That’s pretty magically specific to just skip over them and not hurt them at all while obliterating everything else.

Being the bad guy is fine, it’s the blatant character assassination that’s the problem. Imagine if Sylvanas one day went from Banshee Queen to only caring about hugging puppies with no explanation. Just suddenly her only go is something completely opposite to what she was before.

Now then, enough about orcs. You smell bad and have terrible posture, go make yer own thread. This is for glorious arstozk- I mean, draenei.

No thanks.

Look up the light mother naaru, and that pretty much summarizes what happened. Have a nice day, but I won’t insult you.

La la la… I’m a happy Draenei !

Lets all be happy !