The graphics for classic debate and why it highly upsets me

Ok first off sorry for the rant but I am very passionate about this and I have been seeing so many people complaining that they do not want to see any new graphics on beloved WoW classic and basically People like them are really going to ruin this, i honestly only play vanilla and still do play private server vanilla and only like vanilla wow, I still have dreams of the good old days playing vanilla and was overjoyed that it is coming back and also TO SEE CLASSIC TO ITS FULL POTENTIAL. Dont get me wrong I love the classic graphics but why wouldnt we want to see our favorite game ever at its max potential?! and how amazingly fun it was, but to see vanilla with new graphics and updated player models would be a dream, and then players like these "old graphics hipsters come along with no actual reasoning or thinking, just riding the train to be “cool” and “hipster” for the old graphics, like wtf is wrong with you?! go play a private server if you want the old graphics don’t petition and ruin it for us actual Vanilla lovers and fanbase, we want to see vanilla to its upmost potential and with new animations and texture and model upgrades this would be so amazing to experience. Please Blizzard I beg of you show us classic as if it were to come out for the first time in 2019 and the graphical capabilities of this.

Thank you.

13 Likes

Uh. You’re the hipster if you’re “just coming along and asking for changes”. The whole point was to go back to what it was, not pick out bits and pieces.

This is a museum piece not a new game.

46 Likes

“Go play a private server.” This rant just shows how ignorant and petty you look. Sorry that you couldn’t get what you wanted buddy.

19 Likes

This is the opposite of the spirit of Classic.

By the way, after playing the stress test I can tell you the game looks absolutely amazing.

Also, with hundreds of players together in small areas…you know what helps out server stability, and also the frames on your end? I’ll let you figure it out.

23 Likes

No doubt you’d also like, you know, maybe a little transmog and pet battles to round out your authentic experience wouldn’t you.

9 Likes

I personally really dislike the new models, if I wanted every male human to look like human shrek and every female to look like some kind of Pixar nightmare I would play BfA more, this is to say nothing of the other races…

20 Likes

This is the antithesis of a classic experience. While I do not mind and completely understand the minor changes that come from them utilizing the newer client (for security, compatibility, and other engine improvements), it is absolutely a silly idea and against the spirit of classic to bring new graphical assets into the mix. Blizzard should continue their current path of utilizing old assets where technically feasible.

8 Likes

it does look great I want the exact classic with these graphics updates and I love it but to have no change at all like cmon did you see what i meant

I positively loathe the new models and animations, and if they were forced into Classic that would actually be a deal breaker for me. Keep your googly, bug-eyed, chicken-legged, Goober McGee Human models out of Classic!

If Blizzard wants to develop a toggle, after the release, I’d have zero issue with that. However, “improving” Classic is not the intended goal.

6 Likes

Unfortunately, I lost the gifs I took back in Legion of just how poorly the toggle between new and old models used to work, but I can assure you that the old textures were stretched over new skeletons and it was a monstrous sight. Considering this is Classic, that would mean the new textures would be stretched over old skeletons and would be just as, if not more, horrific.

So, despite it being the “hipster” thing to do - wanting old graphics for an old, stylized game - there is an actual reason we can’t get a new graphics option.

On another note, it’s entirely a case by case basis. Quite a lot of people like the old animations and textures over the new one, and if anyone should win out it’s the fandom that has been asking for the older version since we lost it.

Sorry.

5 Likes

ok obviously you completely did not read the post or not understand anything about it, So please next time read before you speak to not make yourself seem like an idiot, I dont want any changes except the way the game looks, I have been playing vanilla since the day it came out and was devastated when it changed, Now where did I say I wanted any changes besides graphical? I as a vanilla player want to see VANILLA to its highest graphical potential I dont even know what a transmog or pet battle is this isnt pokemon so re read and make another comment. I love this game truly but would love to see an upgrade as well because some of us true vanilla fans have only been playing vanilla and would love to see the capabilites of what it can be

Feel free to try this next time you get logged in to a true classic server.

hit esc
click on System
see that bar in the center? crank it all the way to the left, that improves your graphics.

there is classic with awesome graphics :smile:

they did exactly what I wanted so I am happy no need for sorrys and I have been playing vanilla and vanilla only since release, i have tried the others but it is not the same game so them doing this is amazing
1 Like

The toggle was changed during the Legion pre-patch. During WoD, the toggle swapped skeletons along with the model.

That’s good to know. Wonder what made them change their mind for Legion, but I do know it was grotesque, off-putting, and downright awkward to look at.

New animations, surely. Old skeletons didn’t have enough bones to properly perform the new animations.

1 Like

yea it did look and play pretty dam well

I understand most don’t want any changes but, i think middle of the road on graphics would be nice. I just watched a video by xaryu from 2004 vanilla and it looks like an indie game. I also think for the experience, current graphics aren’t the best idea either since some want to run an 8 year old pc in classic, for the extra nostalgia trip. I think somewhere along the lines of maybe Skyrim level would be nice. Not overwhelmingly dull landscapes. Nor do i want it to look as vibrant as retail. I think a nice medium would be acceptable. Either way, in the end its mostly about the game play. Aesthetics are just that. Like people always say, the beauty is on the inside. With classic, I think that is where we will all find the beauty of it anyway.

Awesome, we needed another of these threads. I was late to the first 517.

1 Like

I got into the stress test and was actually surprised how well the old models hold up, there’s not much difference with most of them (I think new female dwarves look loads better than the originals, but that’s about it.) If they did this it would ruin the authenticity. The old models aren’t that bad, I certainly didn’t feel like I missed the new ones ever. Museum argument stands.

4 Likes