The Goldenisms of Warcraft: Sylvanas

I’m pretty sure it’s moons lignt. Because Azeroth has two moons.

Which is still silly because we don’t call it starslight it’s just starlight. We also don’t call things teethbrush or hairscomb.

7 Likes

Exactly! it could have been simply moonlight, but the extra s defaults the reader to reading it as moon-slight. It’s jarring every single time, and it happens at least 5 times in the book.

It’s not part of our regular vocabulary because it’s not gramatically accurate. We don’t pluralize multiple moons light, it’s still moonlight.

3 Likes

Sylvanas was responding to a rumor about getting married to him and Lirath wasn’t sympathetic to her not wanting that at all. What it comes down to is his reasoning basically being, “So what, you should marry him!” I think telling a woman that her feelings on a marriage she’d be a part of not mattering to be toxic. Also, I do like Lirath, he has some interesting qualities. He’s not actually a Gary Stu but if Sylvanas is correct in him actually being able to competently make music as an infant then my point stands. That part is also at the beginning of the chapter so I hadn’t read past that point, and after hearing about Lirath before reading the book myself, I was fully expecting him to actually be a Gary Stu especially because that’d fall in line with Golden’s track record, double especially because Anduin is a Lirath stand in.

I admit that I exaggerated this point for the lulz. They say in the book it’s a limerick. I do assure you though that’s the only point I exaggerated.

You also haven’t read the book.

All I can think of is that Golden wrote herself into a corner with this situation and didn’t want it to be something Sylvanas could easily escape from on her own, so she used Deus Ex Machina to give her a way out.

1 Like

And Sylvanas’ response to that rumor was to publicly insult Lirath’s friend, as well as the heir to the throne of their very kingdom.

Are you seeing toxic masculinity because you want to, or because it’s there? Right now, it seems like you want to see this. From what I’ve read, Lirath hardly comes off as the sort to be guilty of toxic masculinity, especially considering he’s supposed to be the High Elf version of Anduin, and we all know Golden writes Anduin to be the antithesis of toxic masculinity.

3 Likes

But like - just rewrite the scene.

This isn’t like a movie where other scenes have already been shot and you suddenly need to patch a plot hole.

Redoing it would mean calling back in actors, crewmen, maybe renting a set again. Hugely expensive thing. So you clumsily fix it and hope nobody notices or cares that much.

This is a book showing us a hitherto unseen scene. Could’ve put it anywhere in the UC. Also Sylvanas is a banshee if you told me she could become non corporeal and Danny Phantom through some ish I wouldn’t argue with you.

Yeah it’d be weird her would be assassins didn’t account for that. But it took like 4 times for anyone to remember she kept turning into evil smoke and zooming off so, thats a thing with her I guess.

It came across more as Sylvanas being incredibly tactless and lacking in situational awareness. She fumed what should of been private thoughts out loud, and ended up humiliating her entire family (and herself).

Lirath was angry at her for being so self absorbed and tactless.

2 Likes

It’s not something I’d see if he were like, “Hey I understand you don’t want to marry him but you shouldn’t have done that.” Lirath also repeatedly makes situations involving him about himself without seeing things from other people’s perspectives. He whines when things don’t go his way and acts spoiled. Anduin has empathy and Lirath doesn’t.

Seeing how Blizz releases unfinished game content all the time I wonder if they do that with the books.

So have you reviewed the first draft?

‘Yep forwarded it to the publisher this morning. Should be in ink by next month’

"Uh there’s a lot there I had to circle back and touch up. Seriously I’m pretty sure there’s still typos

‘Look they paid full price for that Warcraft movie, they’ll pay full price for this’

2 Likes

Just for clarification, how old is he in these scenes anyways?

I don’t see a problem personally with this. Many families name children after another family member; especially if they plan to have a lot of children.

1 Like

Sylvanas being tactless and self absorbed was a trait she showed throughout her life, admittedly. He does not lash out over this one thing in specific, but more the overarching pattern of her making messes and everyone else having to clean them up after she buggers off.

He is a child. A prodigy, given his rapid ascension to royal musician, but still a kid.

1 Like

New name for a courser hunter pet.

1 Like

Toxic wokeness?

2 Likes

So a child that is good at music but still behaves like a child? Dare I say… good writing?

2 Likes

The section when she insults the prince and he goes off on her he was admittedly a young adult, in that instance. One of the big points there is Sylvanas being unable to recognize he is growing up and she cannot lord over him like she used to. She is never able to quite see him as anything but a helpless child, up to his death.

3 Likes

I think he’s a young adult at that point, but I might be wrong on that.

I had a problem with it on first impression but I did point out later on that I’m more fine with it because it has importance in the story.

This is true. I just think that Lirath makes too many things about himself and repeatedly guilt trips Sylvanas.

2 Likes

Some of that I think is just… elves being elves. There is a reason the human stereotype for elves is being immensely egotistical. The higborne seem to just come with 10% mean girl built in.

9 Likes

Get in loser— we’re going to the troll spa.

6 Likes

She knows Anduin is a King, right?

As in a literal patriarch.

7 Likes

In fiction, if your character is named after an elder or ancestor, that should be a plot device.

Brandon Stark being named after Bran the Builder felt very much like some kind of foreshadowing. While the payoff wasn’t super satisfying, there was still a fulfillment of prophecy in him rebuilding Westeros. I would have preferred the timetravel theory where he becomes his own namesake, but nonetheless, namesakes should have story relevance.