The Goldenisms of Warcraft: Sylvanas

Yeah… English as a language has a lot of sexism sort of… built in. As conventions put in place over the centuries were largely devised by sexist dudes.

3 Likes

Tbf that is what happens in game.

Yeah it’s just as bizarre then. Especially because Genn is clinging to the ceiling. Because he was also bit by a radioactive spider at some point as well I guess.

Then he jumps down, breaks the lamp and they just kinda go their separate ways.

2 Likes

Plate armour isn’t that heavy. It’s about 20 kilos spread across your entire body. It was a fairly common thing in medieval courts to have knights performing acrobatic routines in full plate.

Chainmaille is much, much heavier.

3 Likes

I’m 99% sure this is because he’s human. Which is an uncommon sight in Silvermoon.

Sylvanas notes she’s only seen a couple of human couriers near the border. So one in the Capitol is probably pretty noteworthy.

This is actually pointed out by Lireesa when Sylvanas comments that Lirath is making music as a baby. Maybe perhaps it’s Sylvanas being delusional. She’s obsessed so much about her brother in this book that it goes beyond healthy.

You have a legitimate point here, but Lirath is a brat and doesn’t consider Sylvanas’ perspective. It’s not about Sylvanas making them look bad here but more about Lirath getting mad about Sylvanas badmouthing his friend.

On the latter point:

It should’ve gone unexplained. Sylvanas figures it’s because they have an unstated mutual respect and that’s stupid.

1 Like

The heaviest parts of plate I believe are on the sides, to protect the vital organs. Correct me if I’m wrong though. :wolf:

1 Like

I always figured it was because it would’ve been pointless. Genn already achieved his objective. Trying to chase him down would only waste resources and further exacerbate the political tensions.

I certainly never thought it was because of any quiet respect. Especially not a mutual sense of it at any rate.

He just wanted to send a message… after trying to blow her up in the harbor with a sneak attack. Yeah makes no sense other than plot armor.

In the gilneas invasion chapter, sylvanas does hint at a begrudging respect for Genn. Which is why she decided to kill him, she figured with Genn dead, the worgen resistance would’ve crumbled without someone like him at the forefront leading the charge.

It’s just one of many stupid things unnecessarily added to the lore for no reason. :wolf:

1 Like

Oxymoron… but okay. :joy:

Girl needs a therapist.

2 Likes

Yeah, the helmet and the cuirass were generally the thickest parts of the armour since you’re not swinging them around and if you take a bill to the bonce you’re not walking it off.

Anduin doesn’t even his helmet.

1 Like

Jim Butcher used the same thing when describing Sanya’s life as a black man living in Russia for the Dresden Files. Sanya was also in more rural Russia instead of like Moscow where diplomats from other countries would be.

1 Like

So… its toxic masculinity to defend one’s friends now? Even to one’s family? I don’t know. I think I need to repeat my earlier observation that you don’t like Lirath. Granted, as you’ve noted this book is told through Sylvanas’ perspective and she praises him left, right, and center, so in that regard one could see him as a, ‘Gary-Stu,’ but only in regards to Sylvanas.

Doesn’t quite strike me as rapping. Just seems like they’re finding words for a poem.

Anyways, you’re entitled to like a character or not as you choose, but I’m not getting the same vibes you did from what you’ve described.

Lots of questionable logic was used in this book. Parts of it actually make her come off as straight up psychotic :stuck_out_tongue: :wolf:

1 Like

She’s in DIRE need of therapy. I felt incredibly bad for her in this book, I wanted to be able to jump into the game and help her somehow. If anything, this book shows why mental health is important. Sylvanas didn’t have anyone who she could sort these problems out with, which shows that on an in-universe level there needs to be psychologist practicioning. This all happened because in the lore Sylvanas has mental illness.

Because she is. The Jailer turned her into a psychopath. He convinced her to shut off all her emotions and sees the death of everyone as a good thing.

Honestly the random undead woman remains the most baffling thing to me.

Because the coup is just about to start. Sylvanas has put 2 and 2 together and knows somethings up.

And this completely random unnamed lady is just on the scene, inexplicably wise to what’s going down, and does the old ‘pretend to trip to slip somebody something’ trick.

So Sylvanas gets this stoneskin potion. Which becomes critical to her survival. And it’s as completely confusing as it is unnecessary. Because I’d not have found it weird if Sylvanas just escaped on her own.

Who is this random person who not only knows a coup is going down but had enough forewarn of it to perfectly position herself to slip the Dark Lady a buff?

She’s trusted by Sylvanas enough that she just downs this mysterious vial of liquid, no questions asked.

It’s a bizarre scene.

5 Likes

Nonono. You have it all wrong. It answered the accusations that the story began in edge of night was a possible retcon. It is now definitely a retcon.

Ehhhh, I don’t know … the English language has so many awesome words, and the average reader’s vocabulary could use some stretching. But I will agree with you that sometimes the words she chooses are more formal than her usual tone and stick out for that reason. Using mien instead of expression, for example.

Does it specifically say a rap song? The bit you quoted just makes it sound like she’s suggesting words for normal song lyrics.

1 Like

The real winner of this book was the word ~Moon slight~

1 Like

I know I constantly crap on Golden for blaming cdev for criticisms about her work, but the Lirath prodigy stuff sticks out to me as at least inspired by the dev team.

I think that writers, quest designers and the like at blizzard have been side-quested with slipping bard references into the lore.