The Fundamental Flaws with the "Balanced Servers" Argument

Every time I come to these forums, there are multiple people making suggestions on how to fix the “problem” of server imbalance. What they all fail to do is explain how a 50/50 faction balance will actually stop people from getting killed in world PvP on PvP servers.

To start off, server imbalance is not an actual problem, and it’s not the fault of Blizzard. People pick which servers they want to play and then pick which faction they want to play. It’s not anybody’s fault if more players pick one faction over the other.

Secondly, the people proposing these solutions seem to think a 50/50 balance will somehow result in balanced and fair world PvP. Guess what? World PvP was never intended or designed to be balanced or fair. Even if you have 50/50 balance, not everyone is going to be logged on at the same time, and not everyone who is logged on will be doing world PvP. You could still have massive imbalances in players engaged in world PvP at any given time, even if the overall server population is 50/50.

Third, server transfers with balance locks are not a solution. What happens when your guild decides to transfer to another server, but after half of them transfer, the balance lock engages and now the rest of your guild is stuck on the old server? All this does is destroy communities and the player base.

Lastly, and this is the part none of these people want to hear - you can always reroll on a PvE server. The rest of the community shouldn’t have to suffer because of your lack of foresight. This isn’t a troll response - this is the true solution to your “problem” but you think the entire community should cater to your sense of injustice.

In conclusion, balancing servers is not going to stop you from getting ganked while solo questing in STV, or having to deal with the enemy faction camping instance entrances. What you really need to do is play on a PvE server.

17 Likes

Just once I’d like to see one of these threads start a constructive conversation without misrepesenting the other side, and without being a long-winded version of, “If you don’t like it, reroll PvE.”

Just once.

Enjoy trying to find PvP opponents after they’ve all transferred off.

25 Likes

If it’s not faction balance, it’s being out geared, or AFKers in BGs, or BOTs, or racials, or any excuse under the sun.

7 Likes

Sure.

Dear everyone thinking about taking up the gambit and trying to argue in this thread: don’t bother. Your post won’t be read. It will be pointless.

4 Likes

Before I even read, gonna guess a Horde wrote this.

5 Likes

they are not going to fix it.

more people want to play horde, it is what it is

2 Likes

I sort of agree. A group of five players looking to PvP isnt looking for 5 players to fight. They’re looking for 2 players to corpse camp.
The closer to server balance you get, the larger your group is going to have to be because no one is looking for an even fight. If you are trying to level you’re going to get jumped on by an overwhelming force regardless.

3 Likes

I’m not misrepresenting the other side. Sorry you don’t like the solution that’s available to you. Also, thanks for cherry-picking my post and not adding anything of substance.

2 Likes

The servers are balanced. Sore losers look for a excuse.

4 Likes

Nobody can say this any better,…

Thank you sir.

Cry baby’s please quit and do this community a favor

3 Likes

If the servers are balanced why are some servers restricting alliance from transferring?

4 Likes

^ 100%

1 Like

That’s not the issue. The issue is we’re playing a game on a 25k person server that was designed for 3k people. The smaller faction cannot go anywhere, we cant even leave undercity on my server. You can’t go to any zone to quest, node-farm, fish etc because they are all taken over by roaming ganksquads who overwhelm you with sheer numbers, it has nothing to do with skill.

To fix this Blizzard should open new servers capped at Vanilla levels and allow transfers over to them while maintaining faction proportion.

1 Like

You believe every single post you read on here on the internet or what?

Like seriously wondering what is up with some of you people.

When Blizzard says it, yea I do.

Yeah, most people don’t want balance.
They want imbalance in their favor. Not many people REALLY want a fair fight, and as you pointed out, that’s rarely going to happen anyway.

When I played on a PvP private server, and opposing factions encountered each other in the open world the most common result was the side who outnumbers or outlevels the other attacks (ganks), and the side who is outnumbered or outleveled tries to run. If both sides were relatively equal, BOTH SIDES USUALLY RAN.

1 Like

You are quite correct (I get ganked constantly on a server that’s 60-40 in my favor, for example).

But it would reduce the victimhood/learned helplessness mentality of the outnumbered faction, and would nullify at least one complaint.

it is the same pattern the whiners use to destroy BG’s.
There was always a reason why something was causing them not to do BG’s.
It was the twinks, it was no XP, it was resilience, it was gear, it was this it was that, ALWAYS something.
Everytime Blizz made the changes they wanted, they found another excuse.
But they never came, they never made BG’s better, just the opposite they destroyed BG, because that who they are.
Simply whiners, they are LFR players, they want something without investing anything into it.
They want Blizz to make it a safe world, an even world, a fair world, and in the end, they will still not come out and PvP, they will simply walk away and leave the same crap behind that they did in BG’s.

2 Likes

This was never the goal. What you are doing is called “hyperbole”. In the history of WoW or any other game with pvp, no one has ever complained that they died or lost a fight. That is just what people say to try and trick readers into thinking that the actual complaint isn’t valid.

If you have any interest at all in what the actual complaint is about, watch one of the many videos floating around on the subject:

Again, people love to use this phrase. While technically true, the very false implication is that the developers don’t want world pvp to be fair. It’s like saying “guess what, buildings were never designed or intended to withstand plane crashes”. It’s absolutely true, but it doesn’t mean what you want people to believe it means.

5 Likes

Great! Because this is what all PvP servers are on track to evolve to:

This is a 99:1 H:A server. Today. Flamelash EU. And it’s only the first.

Enjoy PVPing on a PVP server. Because the alliance won’t. They’ll all reroll or quit.

5 Likes