The forsaken lost more than the night elves in BfA

I don’t agree with how they’re responding, but the gist of what they’re saying is that the forsaken were antagonistic since vanilla. It’s not surprising for alliance fans to see forsaken hostility become more public and extreme. There’s also a catharsis in having them lose, even if the fan base thinks it’s unfair.

3 Likes

I think this has gone from “catharsis in having the Forsaken lose” to actively attacking fans of the Forsaken.

5 Likes

Heroic…? why heroic? a hero sacrifices itself for others, i am sure that isn’t the forsakens.

and i am totally fine with that, if the alliance is their enemy, specially with all those paladins wanting to kill them.
But i cannot find any justification for invading gilneas, gilneas was truly neutral. they just wanted to be leaved the hell alone.

i am fine with the “fighting for survival” and that alliance killed their emissaries (let’s forget that sylvanas killed garithos )
but great, conflict.

But i cannot say that i understand their invasion to gilneas and later teldrassil, and if we are going to use stormheilm then that is also on them by invading gilneas in the first place.

oh, just to make it clear i am not saying that is “okay” only saying why is easy to understand, i myself do it i know it is wrong, i know that i often come as irrational for wanting justice and genocide the horde in return but it cannot be helped, i simply cannot forget about it and “let it go”.
Basically, i am wrong and i know it.

but is not suprise either if blizzard has set us as antagonist since day 1.

Why is anyone ever suggesting killing Garithros was a bad thing? Have you played WC3?

The idea his violent removal from the mortal plane was anything other than a win for all sapient life is utterly asinine. She ordered the death of the most annoying villain in that campaign.

7 Likes

Maybe you’re right. But to be frank, a lot of players in the community are past being civil and sympathetic. Night elf and forsaken fans will always be the targets of mockery and schadenfreude.

5 Likes

Because she didn’t know him.
yeah he was a jerk and genocidal racist, but wasn’t he apparently all what was left of the alliance of lordaeron? all what i am saying is that she attacked first “the alliance”. and she didn’t knew that he tried to kill the belfs!

… He was an arrogant prick to the Forsaken from minute one. His last words are literally,

" There, your business is done. Now, I want you wretched animals out of my city before I–"

And then he’s murdered by Varimathras to the cheers of players everywhere.

Attempting to frame that as a bad thing is outright absurd. Like he would’ve given a good word to the Alliance about the Forsaken. Please.

6 Likes

all what i am saying is that the one who started hostilities between the forsaken land alliance was… sylvanas.
that is probably what the common people hear about them.

Garithros started hostilities with every non human race he encountered. His existence alone could’ve justified a Horde aligned Dwarf race.

7 Likes

alright then.

Like I gotta assume you’ve just not played WC3 if you’re framing the slaying of Garithros as anything short of a good karma move.

1 Like

apologies for the confusion i tried to portray it like i agreed with you, i am not going to defend garithos. because i also know he also hated dwarfs.

3 Likes

Hillsbrad was an Alliance Territory first. The Forsaken moved in and started attacking Southshore. Alliance had a Right to defend their homes.

The Forsaken were performing Military operations in Plaguelands as members of the Horde.

Church of the Holy Light only TOLERATED Scarlet Crusade because they weren’t fully aware of just how deeply the Corruption was.

Not really a question of whether or not his death was a “good thing” but rather was Sylvannas overall treachery in general was a good thing.

One could argue that Ashvain got what she deserved from Azshara but no one’s touting the Virtues of Azshara for doing it.

1 Like

Well for me that’s the moment I sincerely loved Slyvanas. And continued to until EoN. BFA has retroactively killed my enthusiasm for Warforged as I’m going to have to watch the founding of my favorite fantasy race knowing it’s founder is a genocidal maniac who hates them.

2 Likes

The whole Garithos vs Sylvanas thing was really just a matter of who was going to betray who first. Sylvanas had the upper hand. If she hadn’t taken it he would have returned to wipe them out.

16 Likes

Hmm I thought the whole problem the Alliance has with Sylvanas is that she’s genocidal and therefore she should die? Seems like Garithos was rightfully slain for being a genocidal fool as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, Sylvannas got further then Garithos ever hoped to, so I’d say she’s worse…

But when discussing Monsters who turn on each other, what good is it really to find Merit in it?

As far as “justifying Teldrassil” goes, most posters weren’t trying to justify the act morally. They were trying to justify it as a military tactic done to bring the war to a speedy end.

They were wrong of course. I was saying since day 1 that burning Teldrassil was a nonsense strategy that actively went against her stated goals. But there were a lot of users who really wanted to believe Sylvanas was a military genius and was still performing her villainous acts of cruelty for the good of the Horde. That she was doing terrible things to the Alliance in hopes of saving the Horde people. Basically what I see a lot of Alliance posters advocating for Anduin to do.

While Sylvanas was never going to be a hero there was still room for her being a sort of anti-villain. Someone who does villainous things with a goal that would otherwise seem heroic from their perspective.

Didn’t pan out that way of course. Now we know she never intended to win the war at all.

13 Likes

Even Slyvanas just had Thanos vibes. I don’t think she had any personal hatred of the Night Elves. Honestly that’s what it made the Darkshore warfront so weird. The Forsaken have no beef with the Nelves.

8 Likes

As I recall, Darrethy’s position was more like “I love the War of Thorns because it’s genuinely grey on both sides and reminds me of Vietnam.” (Not many people agreed with that perspective, but it seemed to be sincere.) I definitely don’t remember Darrethy ever gloating, rubbing it in the faces of any Alliance players, or generally behaving badly about it.

And to be fair, the devs were encouraging Horde players to expect that before the cinematic and event dropped in-game. Travis Day: “[Sylvanas] has a different perspective which is that the Horde will never be safe until the Alliance is wiped out. But, is she acting in a cruel, mustache-twirling evil way? Not really, she’s just trying to defend her people.”

A lot of people were trying to make what they were given square with those promises.

5 Likes