The Forsaken are too diverse for Calia to lead

Magic doesn’t exist in the warcraft universe because the warcraft universe doesn’t exist.

Crap, I knew the cost of the plane tickets was too good to be true.

2 Likes

Does magic exist in the video game that is WoW?

:cactus:

Which kind of falls flat because we’ve heard from Afrabashi and Danuser himself that Teldrassil was a blatant Red Wedding allegory.

That’s kind of an odd choice,
how exactly besides shock factor does Teldrassil compare to the Red Wedding?

Teldrassil happened simply for the shock value. There is a trend of gaming studios trying to recreate the “shock value” that the Red Wedding first inspired in the TV show without any of the build up or reasoning the show, much less the books had to justify it.

Like other studios, Blizzard wasn’t counting on the fan backlash.

10 Likes

Oh, I don’t know why I was expecting more then that. It’s weird when the writers sound like corporate executives.

1 Like

Understandable. Its Blizzard, never expect any real nuance that’s deeper than a puddle. Danuser also said he thought that Season 8 of GoT was great, so I’d take anything he says about the story with a gigantic bag of salt.

6 Likes

I mean, if you are misunderstood but evil, that is not going to be much more then ‘evil but sad’.

Writers absolutely can control what is and is not evil in their story. They can decide how the people in the world react to it and they can control how it is framed historically. They can’t outright control how viewers feel about it, but they actually have a lot more influence over how we view it than most people probably realize.

Case and point: The Highborne colonization of Amani territory. Good or evil?

The narrative paints the act as good even though similar events in real life have long since been decided to have been morally wrong. How do they get away with it? By using words like “evil” and “barbaric” to describe the indigenous race who is being invaded and words like “resilient” and “stalwart” when describing the invaders.

We as players can agree or disagree with how the narrative chooses to present the event, but we can’t actually change the morality of the event as presented in the story.

It is so incredibly painful to me that so many professional writers watched the Red Wedding and completely failed to understand why it worked. It wasn’t a random act of violence. It was a natural, albeit extreme, consequence to the actions of the protagonists leading up to it. It was shocking but also entirely realistic within the scope of the story. Robb may have been a swell guy but he earned the Red Wedding with his stupidity.

Meanwhile… What did the night elves do to earn the Burning? What was their fatal mistake? Trusting the Horde, I guess? Because the narrative is trying to paint trusting the Horde as a good thing now.

Blizzard’s writers have no idea how to properly set up a shocking event.

17 Likes

Please Anya, the Red Wedding worked on the show thanks to having originated on the book (ergo, Martin writting). Season 8 kinda showed the actual writting scope of the people in charge.

Suddenly the awful characterization of Sylvanas and Tyrande makes monumental sense…

They don´t even seem competent enough to write something more complex than contained leveling narratives tbqh.

Also, yours is an excellent post, should get stickied or something…

4 Likes

I try to avoid bringing up the books in the Red Wedding because besides the show missing a lot of nuances, but the show also skips out on some awesome character development for some characters. And that makes me sad.

That´sd why I usually avoid film / tv media related to a book I read before… cause I can´t avoid hating it precisely thanks to the missing parts and the retconns done to cover the missing parts.

How have you been, excited by the incoming customization (I´m disgustingly jealous of you guys)…

2 Likes

Yes indeed! It feels like the art team is trying to apologize for Teldrassil since the Story team is clearly huffing on their own farts when they aren’t responding to sycophants on Twitter. I want the topknot Tyrande look with leaves in my hair.

I’m still not decided on getting the expansion yet. I still expect the story to be as bland and predictable as ever, but I want to see if the mechanics team finally learned their lesson.

4 Likes

I haven´t bought the expac either, but in my case I think I´ll wait until I have to -US dollar is quite expensive in my country right now-.

I´m on the opposite spectrum regarding customization for Ariel (my male Belf at least will get the Sasuke hair + Lor´s beard); I´ll chant victory if the christmas bead ornaments sold as “jewerly” were indeed 404´ed. I´m hoping for runic tatoos / scarifications and scars proper, but frankly I doubt we will get any of those.

2 Likes

Probably, once they start viewing the rest of the Horde as their actual Allies and not just a means to an End, that Sylvanas has been doing.

Pretty sure everyone has an opinion as to one race “not being Horde Enough” regarding every Horde Race. And it’s all true, actually. Because the Definition of the Factions (Both Horde and Alliance) is so subjective, especially now.

Probably because there’s no way to write that convincingly.

See, that’s your take. Not all the Forsaken see themselves that way and some what to return to something more akin to being human.

Because some Forsaken do see themselves as that too.

Actually, I don’t really disagree with you here, but for a different reason.
Calia should face a lot of push-back and have a long and difficult time in her position because that would actually make for a good story. I kind of want to see a lot of reluctance on her part, believing herself not capable of leading the Forsaken but Voss having Faith in her. I want to see this kind of character development.

Maybe that’s true but the best thing about the Adams Family was that, despite how morbid and kooky they were, they were still basically good people without any ill will towards anyone.

5 Likes

^^

Pragmatism

-begins humming the Adams Family theme-

-no not that one-

-though that one is still catchy-

Ohhh we very much do, and usually the majority consensus wins.

If we get phylosopical, yes We decide what is evil and what is not, cause at the end of the day those words are adjectives, and guess who created them.

And no, from my pov she was not consistently evil, first she was a egotisitic narcisit dedicated high elf (race traits). Then she was a pissed persistent undead with questionable morale who defended her territory from the Scarlet but not much else. In WoD when some say she went evil for killing Graymane’s son, she was following orders, and by questing in the zones one can think that 1. She cared for her soldiers, 2. She was given very little support from Garrosh…
BfA… Honestly I did not comprehend any of the writing there.

Undead were this gray faction where yes, for convenience they kept allies but if said ally was to die in battle they might as well eat their brains and use their body parts.