The fact that Tauren joined the Horde is racist and needs to stop

Will you two just get a room already?

4 Likes

GASP! A human and an elf? SCANDALOUS!

Who do you think I am? Alleria??

But, I mean, I’m always down to pound.

4 Likes

This was…an odd convo, probably just misunderstandings on both sides.

Let me say tho 100% not the most odd convo. One time on PVP forums I commented to someone that I agreed with them and they wrote back they disagreed with me. We went back and forth with me trying to tell them that I am on there side in the matter however they were not having it, calling me every name (and some slurs) in the book. They insisted that my viewpoint was wrong, despite me wording it back to them how they wrote it…

I to this day regret not screen shotting it because the dude is probably banned now and the thread deleted but it tops any ‘debate’ I ever had on here or ever will have.

Yes we all should support Magatha. She can make the Tauren great again.

I’d rather have someone like Jevan (Stormsong) Grimtotem (https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Jevan_Grimtotem) if we have to go with that tribe. or even one like the hardcore tauren that was at the end of the Bovan questline.

I don’t think that Baine is the worst thing to happen to the Tauren, but I will say the way he has been utilized by writers does not help. Baine, and by extension the Tauren, are one of those people/races that work best when they are one of a group of voices of reason but falls flat in any story where they have to be the token voice of objection to what is going on.

1 Like

In the stories I have made for my characters, they go along because they care more about their compatriots and their nation as opposed to the faceless numbers of the enemy.

Sound familiar?

Because unlike other foreign colonizer stories, the orcs didn’t enact genocide on the Tauren – But actually SAVED them from it. Hence why the Tauren felt obligated by blood debt to help the orcs find their place. From there, they grew into a family-faction to some degree.

If anything, it details an inspiring story that finding your place in the world can be better done through honourable good deeds, other than harsh domination of others - for ones own greed.

You answered your own question within the question itself.
It’s not a alternate history. It IS a fantasy world.

That being said many new fantasy stories, build upon the inspirations & themes of old-folk lore tends to use historic tropes to push a narrative; show the dynamics or paint a symbolic picture to the audience – sometimes teaching a lesson through another means, opening ones eyes to something they hadn’t considered before, through a new method & way.

This comment alone, makes me believe you’re self-projecting your own hate of ‘White people’ to the fantasy characters of a video game that are unrelated to said-issues & concepts … Perhaps even using them to push your own agenda of getting Tauren towards the Alliance for your own wants, or simply severed from the Horde out of spite — and using ‘White historical revisionism’ to do so.

I saw a post like this a few weeks ago, about how the fairy culture in WoW was being ‘white washed’ by some weird as heck means, and went on a whole tangent about how despicable Blizz is on that note for catering to the white etc :roll_eyes: … They got awfully annoyed & enraged when I pointed out to the Einstein hothead that funnily enough – The Fae, and majority of fairy-trope stories are originated from white people & white cultures. :upside_down_face:

Anywhoooo, that post of theirs got taken down and I wouldn’t be surprised if the same happens to this one. :person_shrugging:

White people and white culture is sort of hard to pin down, when some groups of whites do not consider other groups of whites as white.

Like some English and German and Nordic types don’t consider Italians, Spanish, or even Irish people white. It’s almost like white isn’t about skin color.

I remember when Whoopi Goldberg went a bit off the wall when she said she can’t tell a Jew from other white people, that Jews can’t deal with the same racism Black people deal with. To a lot of people, Jews are largely physically indistinguishable from other white people. But whether Jewish culture belongs in the category of white culture could spark a debate, depending on who you ask.

Black culture in America usually includes a broad diaspora, as does Latin culture. A mixture of languages and colors and National origins. White culture… seems to vary depending on who you ask.

3 Likes

I’d wager that’s just discrimination on their own skin colour, based on what culture or background they’re from. Sadly, I’ve seen that in many different people-of-colour.

Heck the reverse can be applied from the opposite spectrum of colour. Obviously no surprise when you see some white moron apply all darker or differed shades from themself as ‘Black’ (Whether or not they are) – However at my last workplace, I had a very dark-skinned girl try insist that my last team I was in were all white (We literally had 2 white people out of like 11 people lol) - To which when I pointed that out, and that most were actually Asian or Latino - They said “Yes!? That’s white!” — And everything was always twisted as being racist & offensive to them, and they were also on a high to ‘cancel’ everything all the time, consistently - Ranting about their twitter :roll_eyes:

So like you said, it’s 100% varying depending on who you ask.

As expansive as this forum defines it, EVERYONE is a “colonizer”.

But the Tauren are iconic to the Horde Faction Since Warcraft 3. You can’t take away one of the most iconic races of the original horde.

Rick and Lucy are considered to have performed the first interracial kiss on Television, although I believe the Brits might have beaten them to it by a couple of years. But like you said,as highlighted in West Side Story, if you were Hispanic you weren’t considered “white”. Still aren’t by many American whites.

1. They beat out Star Trek by a few years

2. Unlike Kirk and Uhura, it wasn’t enforced intimacy.

I mostly see this as a problem with suspension of disbelief, this is a fantasy setting that borrows from historical and fantasy settings fairly equally. The Tauren draw from native cultures but they aren’t. They aren’t even on earth.
I mostly feel that people are letting the fantasy elements trigger their argumentative and belligerent attitudes toward reality that they aren’t supposed to bring up around the dinner table. more akin to “Look blizzard brought it up so I can argue about it openly!” despite the fact that it is a fantasy setting and suspension of disbelief should rule. You aren’t helping indigenous people by completing Tauren quests, sad to say. Being an expert on Tauren lore doesn’t make you an expert on the experiences of other cultures.
This reminds me of the stormcloaks are racist trope which is more associated with how real life white supremacists act and isn’t reflected in game where the nords of skyrim are culturally belligerent more than racially discriminating. and 3 … 2… 1 go!

1 Like

You forgot that Thrall used to be a slave, a gladiator and became Warchief after Doomhammer died.
Vol’jin of the Darkspear tribe(tribe that was in a verge of extinction when Thrall’s Horde helped him)
Cairne became a friend of Thrall’s and gladly joined the Horde.
The Forsaken were being hunted down by humans and the Horde welcomed them.

You misunderstood the Horde’s origins. They are all refugees, outcasts, minorities, but together they are the Horde.
For the Horde.

2 Likes

I thought the first interracial kiss is credited to Kirk and Uhura.

The reason why Lucy and Ricky are not seen as an interracial couple is because of the racial identity of hispanics, because the majority are still considered to be white. Desi Arnaz was Cuban. To this day the majority of Cubans consider themselves as white. He was certainly white passing enough for the masses.

Rita Hayworth was another example of how Hispanic actors were able to appear white passing to get more roles.

WASP Americans however did not. Neither did my Italian mother or Romanian father.

1 Like

This is a kinda weird stance. Do you speak for Cubans?

2 Likes

I took the data from the 2022 Cuban census that said the majority of Cubans self identified race is 64% “white” and it’s on Wikipedia.

I don’t make baseless claims. I do my research beforehand. Just like Italians, hispanic ethnicity is predominantly a mix of European, and that can identified as “white” caucasian. Hispanic is an ethnicity not a race.

Was your mom Sicilian? My great grandmother was from Naples and even they didn’t consider Sicilians to be white

This conversation kind of reminds me of something that happened in middle school, that sticks in my mind.

My US History teacher was a southern lady. We were learning about segregation, and she talked about how whites and blacks were separated. I asked her:

“If white and black people had separate places, where did Hispanic and Asian people eat and stay?”

Her answer was:

“There weren’t any in the US back then.”

Meanwhile Hispanic people have been in the southwest since before it was part of the US.

Her answer didn’t seem right back then, but I wasn’t ready to argue. It was an early lesson that sometimes you have to learn outside of school if you want to learn anything.

4 Likes