The Edgiest or Edgelord moments in World of Warcraft

“I AM MY SCARS!” is the cringiest moment I can think of.

Sylvanas having a mental breakdown in War Crimes and REEEEEing in the forest ripping bears apart is pretty close though.

“The Horde is Nothing” is also pretty great in that regard.

Med’an isn’t really edgy, he’s just a supreme Gary Stu. The two are not the same thing. I would argue being edgy in this regard is a character the writers want you to think is cool but they are just super tryhard and make you cringe. Med’an isn’t really this.

2 Likes

People don’t find the idea of killing Xe’ra the problem, people are talking about the actual words he says are embarrassingly cringe.

2 Likes

Yeah mine has go to saurfang’s “You just keep failing” to sylvanas where all he does is nick her and that causes her to fly off the handles. The Horde was full of drama queen moments in BFA.

Not to mention she had done everything successfully upto that point, it was he who failed to do anything of substance.

10 Likes

Tyrande throwing the orc head into a moonwell and her subsequent dialogue was a bit edgy. Though I suppose she was countering the Horde’s own edge in that quest line, with Nathanos and his new dark rangers.

2 Likes

This thing had it coming.

Hmm hunting Trolls like game and killing Troll whelps.

This really indeed and all of Saurfangs cinematics with Anduin in them (so all of them - 1). BfA ruined Saurfang.

Aside from that hm. Perhaps Graymane letting everyone die in front of his wall.

4 Likes

Oh, I agree, I have my own issues with the Na’ru. It’s just edgy enough. It’s an edgy moment I like.

I generally love Dragons in fantasy. I don’t know why, but they’re just “fun” to me usually.

Dragons in WoW though have some really twisted stories. I don’t know whether it’s edgy or just disgusting, but the stories are a little bit out there.

Galakrond? I mean, that’s just awful for the sake of being awful. He cannibalized other proto-dragons, absorbed their life essence causing them to come back as the “not-living,” and causing him to become massive in size while covered with grotesque mutations. Then he’s killed by a boulder being thrown into his throat, causing him to lose control over these “not-living” and Malygos and Neltharion force it far enough to cause him to choke to death.

Every dragon that mated with Deathwing died after doing so (except Sinestra who died by her own twisted creation). It’s not surprising that his kids were so messed up. Nefarian’s relationship with Onyxia is just awkward, and after he’s returned as a rotting abomination, he has a lab experimenting on (and torturing) dragons, including the reanimated electrified atrocity of his sister. Even typing this makes me cringe.

Oh and of course, you know, every single time we see them capturing eggs, experimenting on them, twisting them, killing them, and crossbreeding them as if they’re pets to come up with new color combinations.

Toss in Murozond being the crazed version of Nozdormu who saw his own death and was tricked by the Old Gods to create the infinite (wow) dragonflight and you have some of the most off-putting moments in WoW.

I don’t know if any single one was the “worst” - but these things combined with sentient beings? Yikes.

//Also I might be using Edgiest wrong, if I am, sorry.

4 Likes

Dragons were indeed the coolest thing in wow early on.
What Alextrasza lived through was probably the most grimdark thing in WoW.

I loved Day of Dragon book as a young kid, only now I realize how much more messed up it was.

But everything really went downhill in cataclysm.
The one thing that always bothers me with the dragons in wow is the pineapple at the end of their tails.

5 Likes

Don’t forget the red dragon at the end of the Nexus dungeon, who wants you to put her down before Malygos can finish brainwashing her into being his replacement wife. With little blue dragon markings corrupting her body. I don’t know what the hell the design team was thinking with that one.

9 Likes

Early 2000s was a magical time.
I cant believe it was 20 years ago.

3 Likes

Yeah, thinking about it more, the only thing I can think of that’s darker than anything to do with the dragons would be Road to Damnation, the short story that was put out as a precursor to the Naxx patch in Vanilla. That had a slew of dark scenes in it but one in particular has stuck with me over a decade later, and it’s why I will never support an Arthas redemption or him getting to participate in any comeuppance Sylvanas gets.

3 Likes

The edgiest edge lord nonsense in the game, to me, was the bit in the End Times dungeon (which is already very edgy) where you fight Tyrande in the sanctum of the green dragon flight.

You basically run around in the dark fighting invincible enemies until you drag them into pools of moonlight while a Tyrande is doing her best Goth prose poetry reading. There is nothing left for you here, nothing but death and sorrow!

Then when you finally make it through the gauntlet she’s sitting in the middle of a pool of ‘dark moonlight’ and starts freaking out when she’s losing, and the whole time she’s screaming edgy stuff like * Mother moon, I can no longer see your light! Your daughter is alone in the darkness!*

Come to think of it, the whole the Night Warrior is likely the most edgelord thing in the game for that matter, what with the solid black eyes and all of its previous wielders meeting terrible fates.

3 Likes

Arator the Redeemer yells: Mother… do not listen to the whispers!

Alleria Windrunner yells: I have ignored them for too long. They speak the truth, Arator. And you will hear them. I will make you hear them.

Arator the Redeemer yells: No! I will never–aah!

Alleria Windrunner yells: The Light could not save them, and it will not save you!

Yeah that Horrific Vision of Stormwind seems to fit the bill

4 Likes

I thought it meant ‘fail to kill hope.’ Although I couldn’t quite understand what ‘hope’ Saurfang meant at that time.
Maybe the ‘hope’ refers to gathering army to fight against Sylvanas?

Anything with Illidan hands down. He wins the WoW Edgelord contest. Bonus points for creeping on Tyrande. Sylvanas as runner up with her burning down a tree full of civilians because a dying Night Elf back talked her and made her have a sad.

1 Like

… are generally found in this subforum.

2 Likes

Ikr? The latest post about Night Elves in the maw is evidence for that lol. That guy/gal is going to cut themselves on that edge if they are not careful.

1 Like

Probably wishing it was still the nineties where you could write a character as a full-fledged villain and just slap the “anti-hero” label on everything or just throw together a cringe "redemption story to make it alright.

See also:

9 Likes

Everything Kael’thas says in Magister’s Terrace is over-the-top edgy. To be fair, he is meant to actually be insane at that point, but there’s a reason that “Merely a setback!” has become running gag.

6 Likes

I think Illidan killing Xe’ra was questionable (how was he strong enough to do it? Suddenly giving a negative portrayal to naaru… a lead naaru no less, like we went from Tolkien to Garth Ennis all of a sudden), but I agree all his dialogue in that scene was cringe.