The ED experience

I recently issued an open challenge to this server that I would be RP walking from Silvermoon to Undercity with PvP enabled selling hotdogs, and dared any player to stop me. I’m undergeared, don’t know how to play my class and have only sporadically touched the game since before SL.

Basically I was an easy target just asking to get roflstomped and yet, I walked for over an hour from point A to point B doing /yell emotes to broadcast my location to help you find me, and didn’t encounter a single player. Not even a lowbie belf or undead questing, not a single bot farming ore even.

When people say this is a dead server, this is why. I’m going back to classic hardcore.

Pics or it didn’t happen:
imgur . com/a/ ORHz3jZ

Just for some clarity, did you have Chromie time enabled or not? Trying to determine why I never see anyone on any server except DF areas. Think its something to do with sharding or whatnot.

Nope. I specifically picked a low population area to minimize sharding and reduce the chance of attracting off-realmers. I figured the only people I’d stand a reasonable chance of encountering (other than the afore mentioned lowbies/bots) would specifically be ED regards looking for me.

I have a lot of people who hate me on these forums, I expected at least a couple of them to come out for an easy campfest and screenshots to rub in my face when I :poop:post but nope, not even a nibble.

Man, you crack me up!

Your posts remind me of the grand old days of ED. I have no idea who you are but that really doesn’t matter. It’s better to laugh than be cranky all the time. It’s sad to see what has happened to ED. Like all good things, its time came and went like a fart in the wind. Thanks for the laughs Bumblebae!

:beers:

PS:
You really should quit smoking. Lol.

1 Like

I was wondering why you didn’t come out for a hot dog, I had one set aside for you. Despite your racial handicap, you seem like one of the few people left around here who can take a joke. Most just assume I’m on the jenkem again (not illegal, show me the law).

P.S.: I’ll quit when I’m dead

There are no healthy cigarettes, but if there were, I wouldn’t smoke them!

2 Likes

Filters are a lie, my friend. Smoke unfiltered cigarettes, the way nature intended!

1 Like

I’ve tried a few different times to resub. I just find a severe lack of imagination going on in game. It doesn’t matter what realm. It’s all over. I just don’t understand this whole “neutrality” binge everyone seems to be on. Like the whole cornerstone of WoW started with Orcs vs Humans but heck now we all are just supposed to get along? Why? It’s just a video game and competition is part of life. Lol.

ED was the only place that understood the value of mixing PvP with RP. Now it’s like a crime in game if you aren’t neutral with everyone. And if you even inquire about WPvP you’re evil incarnate. Lol.

A fart in the wind is all it is and now we don’t even have the smell lingering in the air.

:rofl:

2 Likes

It’s also literally impossible to do RP/PvP on a structural level these days. Sharding/phasing content/offrealm trash, etc. These topics have all been explained and argued to death (literally) on this server. We’re just picking at the bones at this point.

2 Likes

idk i think wow is like past it’s generational prime, maybe if they released an entire sequel or a different game, like palworld taking the piss on pokemon or helldivers 2 making halo look like a joke

1 Like

Palworld has been bleeding players pretty steadily since launch and are unlikely to be relevant in 10 years. Pokemon is still bigger than Star Wars or any other comparable IP. I agree with your overall point, but I think the fact that classic has persistently outperformed retail and SoD and Hardcore are so popular show that there’s a significant portion of the player base that wants more out of the game than running mythic+ over and over and over.

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more. I’ll take a pack of Camels over that vaping crap any day. Was following a car to work the other day. In the middle of a downpour and he had his driver’s side window all the way down because just cracking it was not enough to empty the vapor out of his car. Lol.

yeah idk how long pokemon with guns is going to last, but a new pokemon game is like $60? and it’s nearly the same game as when it came out.

I’ll pay $70 for more zelda idk something you know is going to be a really good and innovative game but palworld is only $30

helldivers only $40

lethal company only $10

games actually worth their appropriate prices, and it’s not exactly about the price, but also the message that you’re going to have to pay monthly or annually for smidgens of unique experiences in the game with no innovations.

The social media presence of wow is super small at least from my experience, there’s a few people out there, streamers out there, but even the big ones are playing other games for views

all those games are huge successes and aren’t bagging you down with some bs battlepass/timegated content, you buy the game and it’s the whole game or it gets free updates. Take baldurs gate for example too, a full priced game which is a WHOLE game. Huge success.

I remember totalbiscuit the youtuber (rest in peace) who said it best himself when he stopped playing wow in cataclysm, if you don’t like a product, just stop buying it.

2 Likes

Pokemon abosolutley has been resting on their laurels for far too long and if Palworld is what it takes to shock Game Freak out of complacency and gets them to start innovating again I’m all for it. That said, I’m still not playing Palworld and have no interest, same as I support Epic giving Steam competition on the PC market, I’m still never using Epic.

Maybe I’m set in my ways in my old age, but the gaming industry lost me when “Games as a Service” became the industry standard. I completely agree with the “if you don’t like it, vote with your dollars” philosophy and to be honest, I spent most of 2023 “retro gaming” on my NES/SNES/PS1/N64/PS2/GameCube etc. and I’ve never been less interested with the new releases.

I keep coming back to WoW because of the memories and a stupid sense of nostalgia but every time I’m just reminded why I left, only to come back like a sucker 6-8 months later thinking “this time will be different”.

I think you make a good point about this chapter of gaming kind of being over and though I’m pessimistic about the way the industry as a whole is trending, I think there is potential for a 2nd golden age of gaming on the horizon.

Unreal engine 5 is unlike anything we’ve ever seen and it’s going to change everything. We’re in the infancy of AI and as much as I despise it, it’s only gonna get bigger. With all the bad things that AI will bring, I admit the potential for worlds with fully “intelligent” NPCs with their own personalities who can respond in real time to player dialog inputs is something I could only ever dream of as a 14 year old playing Morrowind and having the same conversation with the same generic NPC in 6 different towns way back in the long long ago.

Point is, WoW 2 is gonna be something we never could have imagined in our wildest dreams all those years ago when we first set out on our own adventures long ago. I just think the difference is back then the people making the games were nerds making the games they wished they could’ve played. Now it’s wage slaves making the shareholders happy and you can only polish a turd so much.

So yeah, those new games you mentioned may stand the rest of time, maybe they won’t. There have been lots of “pokemon killers” and “halo killers” throughout the years but nobody remembers them. I’m not really interested in what they’re selling and I guess these days, I’m not the target market anymore.

Idk if I’m trying to say they are going to kill other companies, it’s just the fact that if they can do it then why aren’t these multimillion dollar companies?

1 Like

Not “why can’t they?” It’s “Why won’t they?”

It’s exactly what you said “vote with your dollars”. They get away with it the same way Amazon gets away with it the same way Walmart gets away with it.

Remember when that Blizzard employee famously said that “players are like water, they find the path of least resistance and take it”?

Game Freak keeps cranking out shibby pokemon game after shibby pokemon game because they know they’ll make money. As I said before, maybe Palworld will change things, probably not.

This is a feature, not a bug. Until it becomes financially worthwhile to progress the genre it’s not gonna progress.

I said it long ago, and I’ll say it again. Emerald Dream was never going to last. The personalities on this server just weren’t good enough. Andrew carried Emerald Dream as far as he could. This server’s definition of WPvP is creating ‘‘Bounty’’ threads to share kills/screen shots. War Mode doesn’t help matters, of course - but there just isn’t, nor has there ever been, anyone worth killing on Emerald Dream… other than Andrew.

Now, Tichondrius, on the other hand, is thriving. Why? Because I’m still here. I suggest the five of you who are still active on Emerald Dream - just spend the $25 to transfer to Tichondrius. Who knows? You might find me out in the world - you’ll lose, but it’ll be fun. Come do some real World PvP for a change.

Andrew who?

1 Like

Exactly.

He doesn’t even care about this server anymore.

Tichondrius has always been the place to be.

And yet, here you are.