The Drust, possible allied race?

Blood elves thanks Syl, Nightborne thanks Lor’themar, forsaken? They’re hard to place, night elves had enough of a negative interaction with horde in WC3 it’s easy to see why they wouldn’t go lok’tar.

I’m not one to defend void elves’ inclusion into the video game, but let’s have some fun here.

They were at one point high elves, who were a part of the Alliance. Easily the most sensible of the lot.

If they had not been in Suramar, they’d have tottered off to the Eastern Kingdoms with the other highborne. They have a stronger connection to the blood elves than that of the night elves.

wat

Actively sought out the Alliance, were spurned, joined the faction that didn’t tell them to bugger off.

We have a meta reason for this, so any kind of lore explanation is second fiddle. However, the leader of a Horde race was explicitly one of them, so it makes sense. Also, the blood elves were salty at the Alliance.

This is a very 2021 post.

Blood elves where very salty, can’t forget Garabond (Garithos thought I’d go Varimathras from WC3) nearly executing a large number of them.

we need dredgers
its cool they can combine into the ettin skeleton
classic hordey looking things
and piss off elves that want vampires in the horde

The question was which faction they were joining, not which faction they were opposed to.

Why are you rationalizing all these races? My point was that none of the races had a connection to the factions they joined. In some cases, they had more ties to the other faction. Blizzard made a connection up, and they can do so for the Drust.

1 Like

Your post was worded in such a way that it implied the races you listed had a stronger connection to the faction that they did not join.

No, it was worded exactly as you framed it- those races were given to factions they did not have strong ties with ( and in some cases, they had more ties with the other factions). Any new ties Blizzard created when bringing those races to the factions.

Regardless, at least now I know what you intended to say. Point taken.

I’d be kind of surprised if they ever do more allied races. It was a pretty cheap gimmick, all things considered, with only the Zandalari and Kul Tirans feeling like actual new nations joining the coalitions.

Blizz already struggles to divy out the story spotlight amongst it’s core races as is and I’m not terribly interested in a new faction if they’re basically just going to be wallpaper. And the real kicker is with the truckload of fresh customization options for the OG races they don’t even have the excuse of at least looking cooler anymore.

3 Likes

I’m ok with wallpaper races if they are a little bit interesting, even gimmicky, say angry mushroom men for forsaken. But also after Revendreth and Maldraxus I find myself with a hankering for Forsaken Vampires and Death Druids.

If we are wanting a former enemy I think there’d be a few better options imo.

Like Man’ari for instance is something that could work, and bring a complex story with their past. Not all Man’ari were willing, etc.

I want Maldraxxi Skeletons for the Alliance! The Alliance has 2 Necrolords( Amber Kearnen and Alexandros Morgraine) while the Horde has only 1(Draka)!

Horde can get Venthyr and Drust!

Want Drust Features for the Kul’tirans since that would help out the Kul’tirans of being Half Drust Giant Viking Monsters.

I personally can’t see the Drust becoming playable. But i’d like to see more of their assets made available to Kul Tirans. It makes sense especially if some Kul Tirans have Drust ancestry to explain their large size.

There’d be a lot of good Drust aesthetics to add to Kul Tirans. Tattoos and maybe some wicker charms for starters. But i’m sure there’s a lot more you could give them. That’s all i can think of off the top of my head.

2 Likes

That much is confirmed, as per Ulfar.

I maintain to this day that the Kul Tiran Balance Form should’ve been the wicker man model, not a new wicker chicken model >_>

Also a Treant form that resembles the Drustvar trees, or a glyph for the Balance Form that gives you the Witch or Hag model.

2 Likes

I kind of think the Drust are one of those races that is going to remain antagonistic - not because they could not be an allied race, but because they would be too derivative of the already existing allied race in the Kul Tirans.

I say make vrykul a playable race.

3 Likes

Could work. We do see neutral Vyrkul traders in Boralus, so it’s not like all of them are antagonistic and clearly can be dealt with reasonably

Yeah, and plus id get to play the physically superior human if I wanted to.

2 Likes