The Drust, possible allied race?

The thought hit me that when thinking of allied races, most people focus on the races we work. However I started to wonder what if allied races could come from those we’ve fought against and my mind immediately went to the Drust.

While with the exception of the Thornspeakers, they’ve only been antagonistic but it hit me that one of their goals is to leave Thoras and enter the living world. What if the deaths of Gorak Tul and Gorak Zhar make a group of Drust rethink their stance, and thus seek to align with the mortals in order to escape Thoras.

Should the Drust become an allied race, I can actually see them joining either the Horde or the Alliance.

With the Alliance, it can easily be this segment of Drust examining themselves and deciding that the Thornspeakers had the right idea of it and seek to join them, making Ulfar their racial leader. This would also be a sign of that Blizzard talk of Alliance internal tensions, as the Kul’Tirans should have issues with this.

With the Horde, I can see the same principle involved with the Drust deciding that the Thornspeakers had the right idea of it, but them rejecting the idea of working with the Kul’Tirans, and thus their new Gorak seeks to join the Horde. This would fit the theme of races seeking redemption joining the Horde.

So if you approve of a Drust allied race, would you want them to join the Alliance, Horde, or even be a neutral race, like the Pandaren?

1 Like

Gorak Zhar incidentally already sent most of the Drust back to the World of the Living(with the remainder being wiped out by the Winter Queen) so they do have a chance of becoming an Allied Race.

Hmm. I think it would be better for them to join the Alliance because of the Thornspeakers. It would be pretty dumb to ‘give’ an allied race to the faction that explicitly doesn’t have prior links to them. I’d compare it to if mechagnomes went Horde, Sethrak were to go Alliance, or ogres to the Alliance.

6 Likes

Undead are a unique race considering that they are made through magic. The Forsaken could recreate the process of various undead creatures like drust, necrolords or liches.

This is how playable drust could be possible. Is it likely? No.

We already have Drust, inasmuch the Thornspeakers/Anti-Gorak Drust mixed in with the Gilnean Diaspora that became Kul Tirans.

Doubt we will have two Drust races given we already gave all the Drust druid forms to the Kul Tirans.

5 Likes

Drust for Alliance , Naga for Horde :wink:

3 Likes

OR they go horde BECAUSE when they go to join the alliance the Kul’tirans make a huge stink and due to their “Strength above all” mentality a fight breaks out. The drust then leave seeing the alliance as weak, and that they don’t wish to be allied with their primordial enemies. The kul’tirans and the drust have gone at it for ages and I think its likely they wouldn’t join the alliance.

An example of this exists, the nightborne joined the horde BECAUSE of tyrande and how she treated them upon meeting them. The blood elves were much more open to helping them, and understood their plight. So friendships and even romance blossomed there.

The drust then would seek out the horde, whom I might add have had much to do with them. Just not central. In the drustvar campaign we dealt with them, and in aredenweild we dealt with them. It could be that they seek out the “outcast and misfit faction” because that is exactly what they’d be. I can’t see them going alliance strictly because Kul’tirans exist. (It would then give a worgen vs forsaken niche. Since both of those races hate one another and are rivals. Same with the kul’tirans and drust.)

All they have to do is ensure that the drust can’t be druids, so that the kul’tiran druids can be unique if that is the big issue. (Though Id love for the spooky druids to exist on both.)

Wicker Beast should be Cat Form and Wickerman should be Moonkin Form! That leaves just Flight, Bear and Swimming Form to make new Models of…

1 Like

I mean granted, Id be down. I just worry that it would open up a ton of whining. Im down with them being anything but druids; I could rock a Drust Warrior for sure.

Certainly possible, and a good point. I forgot that Gorak Tul was basically their leader lmao.

They joined the Horde because they had a kinship with the blood elves - the lack of enthusiasm from the Kaldorei was a lesser factor, if at all. But point taken I suppose.

I’m convinced. The drust wouldn’t be in my top 25 allied race candidates, but if they came Horde would be the go to.

1 Like

I think they would be one thats cool too see once they are flushed out, but ogres, arakoah and sethrak/the fish people from BFA seem like more likely canidates. I could see the Drust being given too the horde, if tuskar or something was given too the alliance. As it seems like while close to theme, they are different in some sense based on pairing.

Void Elves/Lightforged against Nightborne and Highmountain= Easy to implement legion races.

Mag’har vs Dark Iron = uncorrupted orcs vs corrupted dwarves

Zandalari vs Kul’tirans = The oldest navy vs the newest navy

Vulpera Vs Mecha-gnomes = Nature vs technology

An amount was sent. Citation needed on “most”.

When you said a fair amount I thought by fair amount you meant most…

“Fair amount” means lots normally…

The Drust don’t want to just leave Thros cause that doesn’t achieve their goal, they want to return to the natural cycle of life and death that their time in Thros has knocked them out of. It’s why they invaded Ardenweald due to their unique reincarnation abilities, and interestingly the blighted lands is a part of the nightmare and the corruption runs deep.

1 Like

honestly, I’d much rather have normal Vrykul as an allied race over Drust Vrykul. And they’d be easier to explain story wise as well so IF we were to get a Vrykul allied race, the chances of it being normal vrykul is much higher than it being drust. (Especially since almost the entirety of the Drust are dead or living as wicker constructs possesed by their ghosts)

4 Likes

Definitely would rather have vrykul over Drust, plus we already got good skeletons for them with some customization variance.

1 Like

Stormheim Vyrkul as alliance race would be sick, i would play one.

1 Like

Yeah they would, give us humans that aren’t a physical downgrade.

Stormheim Vyrkul for Alliance
Mogu for Horde.

1 Like

You mean like how the void elves, Nightborne, night elves, Forsaken and blood elves joined their respective factions?

1 Like