The Dark Crystal: Age of the Resistence

Obviously the heroes aren’t going to be able to stop the Skeksis from killing all but two of the Gelflings so it’s no surprise the showrunners claim the show’s primary purpose is to show us the world of Thra.

This is a show focused on the world which is rare in my opinion and as such we get to see a lot of wonder in the series.

8 Likes

Oh wow I can’t wait. I love that movie so much.

1 Like

No surprise that the original film can be watched on Netflix now.

I love the fact they’re working with Jim Henson’s company for this.

2 Likes

Jim would be proud <3

2 Likes

I’ll try to watch it… but I found the original incredibly boring. Maybe it’s the puppets that never done it for me, dunno.

I want to like it, but I don’t understand why so many people are so into it.

Because it’s amazing.

I saw it in the theater, when I was 14-15 or something.

We thought it was pretty OK, back then. It looked pretty hokey, but was kind of amazing for what they could do with “puppets”; People take the CGI of today for granted.

What I saw:

What the new thing looks like:

Whoah, I just read that the new one is NOT CGI. So they are doing that with puppets too? Wow, they came a long way with the puppets.

Oh, well… SOME CGI, but still puppets.

Produced and directed by Louis Leterrier ( The Incredible Hulk ), Age of Resistance looks like it’ll be a very dark and very fun adventure about bringing light and goodness to a world of corruption and evil. In any case, the project marks a step forward in the world of puppet-based films and TV shows. Sparing no expense or effort on production, Leterrier was determined to put a modern twist on the medium, while maintaining the purity of doing everything practically in the frame of the camera.

“I wanted to bring puppetry into the modern age,” he told Empire magazine for the publication’s summer issue. “To take a modern filmmaking style, using Steadicam, and [make it work with puppets]… Nine takes out of 10, it looks terrible. It’s a nightmare. But that one take that goes right, it’s life, it’s pure… There’s not anything we tried and didn’t succeed in doing.”

Yet another thing makes me feel “old.” :wink:

3 Likes

Good. I think the puppets had charm.

2 Likes

The new puppets are clearly made of mostly Latex and Plastic while the old ones apparently had Latex and Foam…

I’d assume the old ones made of Latex and Foam were mostly Foam since the Latex isn’t obvious.

This is definitely one of the shows I’m most hyped to see this year. And I love it when creators find ways to keep puppets in use. I don’t want to jump on the “boo hoo CGI” bandwagon, but well-done practical effects and creatures should always have a place in film/tv.

1 Like

Yeah, Brian Henson also had a part in Farscape. I really LOVED that show.

There were even Bird people aliens, who reminded me of the “Skettis” from the old Dark Crystal film.

I watched that Farscape episode, thinking “couldn’t they be sued… oh wait, same people.”

2 Likes

Those were the Skeksis. Skettis was the area in the northern part of Spires of Arak, from WoD. The Arrakoa populating that area (well… all Arrakoa really, and Sethekk) are clearly based on the Skeksis, or were at least heavily influenced by them. :yum:

1 Like

New trailer y’all.

2 Likes

They included the Novelization information about the Crystal’s damage making it easier to infuse it with Darkness!

What I want to know is where did this Darkness come from? It was intended to rejuvenate the Skeksis during each Conjunction(with Gelfling and Podling Essence drained by this Darkness reflected into the Podling/Gelfling’s faces) and during Great Conjunction was supposed to make them immortal.

The Skeksis were said to originally be benevolent yet the Darkness they used to preserve themselves it seems corrupted them until the Crystal was healed upon which it no longer could hold in the Darkness and along with the Skeksis and urRu was purified by the Triple Suns’ Light which was used to merge the Skeksis and urRu back into the purified urSeks.

The Darkness’s source is the true source of trouble in regards to the Skeksis’ atrocities aside from the ambitious Chamberlain’s attempts to turn the Gelflings against the urRu right at the beginning of Skeksis history.

1 Like

I just watched this on netflix, and though I knew they were doing prequel, I knew very little of the details. I was tickled when I saw they were using puppets. I really enjoyed the series myself, and am looking forward to seeing more.

1 Like

It is a Prequel not a Remake. Furthermore we already know what the Gelflings’ fate is due to the movie this is a Prequel to: The Gelflings will be rendered extinct.

Details from the first Episode while holding back the details on the rest of the 1st Season:

Shocking how the Chamberlain is not only ultimately responsible for the exile of the Mystics(according to the Comics) but also ultimately responsible for the draining of Gelflings as well. He is also good at political manipulations making Age of Resistance into a better Game of Thrones!

It also seems as if the Emperor is afraid of an afterlife… Possibly a plot point that could be used for a Dark Crystal Sequel(by which I mean summon him from the afterlife)? The Emperor’s death came as a result of the Darkening rotting him from within it seems. The Darkness also gave the Emperor his Nightmares before which he couldn’t dream.

Darkness is not natural to Skeksis nor Mystics who were both created from an attempt to purge the Darkness from the urSeks so it comes as no surprise that it would poison it’s users.

An attempt to remove Darkness without destroying/purging it with Light would result in a split as well though into 3 entities instead of 2 one would think.

There are 2 female Skeksis yet we don’t know if they lay eggs. One of the two is only mentioned in the Comics(though might very well appear in Season 2 of Age of Resistance) as being banished and becoming a Pirate Girl. For all we know there is a major Skeksis settlement across the sea that hasn’t been corrupted by Darkness!

Oh, I’m sorry. Let me edit so people can focus once again.

Just finished the 1st season and WOW! This is a fantastic series. Like the original, there’s not a human to be seen anywhere and all the characters are puppets. Some enhancement by CG but it’s like 95% puppetry.

The performances are great and the voice cast is astounding. SkekSil/Chamberlin sounds so much like the original you’d swear it was the same guy but nope, Simon Pegg. Augra also sounds identical, and just as sassy, as her '82 version.

Of the new characters, I think Deet is going to be the most loved. We get to follow her, Rian, and Brea are the 3 heroes on their own Heroes Journey to go own. And what a beautiful world they travel through.

Now, even though it is an entire puppet cast, it’s not exactly child friendly. The Skeksis do some terrible stuff and are some nightmare fuel to look at.

Overall, it is absolutely worth watching.

The show even delves in politics like Game of Thrones does. Of course we already know the Gelflings’ fate(extinction) so the political game’s most interesting facet is on how the Gelfling politicians wind up dead and how the Skeksis politicians that don’t appear in the Movie aren’t present for the ending.

Hopefully the LotR TV Series set in the Second Age does the Game of Thrones-esque Politics just as good! Of course since the Nazgul’s identities are unknown until they get their Rings we won’t be able to tell who lives and who dies in the LotR TV Show.

I’m still waiting for a Labyrinth series with Lady Gaga as the Goblin Queen.