The Cult of Forgotten Shadow (Horde Community/Guild)

News Update
Community ranks have been implemented and the guild extension of the community has begun recruitment!
The Cult of Forgotten Shadow (Horde Community/Guild) - #20 by Abbri-bloodsail-buccaneers

“We have been forsaken. Forsaken by our friends, our family, our people and even the Light itself. All of these seek to destroy us, but we will not succumb. With every ounce of our willpower, we will grow and they will quake before our terrible might.”

The Cult of Forgotten Shadow is a loose-knit organization of Forsaken born from the twisting of the virtues of the Church of the Holy Light. Rather than place great value on selflessness and compassion towards others, followers of the Forgotten Shadow’s virtues seek self-empowerment, placing their virtue of Power above all others as both the ultimate and most dangerous goal.

Further virtues of the Cult include Respect, specifically the respect of the power that others hold, as one’s own path to power may be cut short by stepping on the toes of others; and Tenacity, a reminder to never cease trudging down one’s path as stagnancy will lead directly to the death of a Forsaken’s mind and their slipping back into the thrall of the Lich King as a mindless zombie.

“What does the cult actually do?”

The daily life of cultists and clerics tends to vary wildly. While one might follow the virtues of the cult, they integrate them into their daily life more often than heading out to organized events.

When they do organize together it is usually to seek new Forsaken among the fresh graves, cull the mindless scourge, or combat their numerous enemies, including the Light-worshiping alliance, the Scarlet Crusade and the Scourge itself.

For example, a Forsaken deathstalker in the cult would seek to hone her craft, spending her personal time practicing, studying and trying to discover old, lost assassination techniques. She would set herself firmly on that personal path to power and self-improvement, only involving others to her benefit, when they might find some mutual gain(or gain just for her alone).

A Dark Cleric on the other hand has several roles. The cults clerics delve deep into the study of the shadow, the magics inherit to the death that consumes their body. Through this study they glean the power to manipulate the shadows themselves to haunt and torment the minds of others as well as repair the flesh of their undead kin, one of the few ways to safely, effectively, and painlessly heal fellow Forsaken. Meanwhile the cult’s practitioners also take it onto themselves to aid(and recruit) the freshly freed or dug up forsaken and cull any mindless undead they find, one of the few times they invoke the lost virtue of compassion.

A dark cleric may seem charitable and selfless, but, more so than anyone else, their every action presses them further and further towards their goal of power whether they directly benefit or they use others to eliminate their mutual enemies. Uniquely, the priests of the cult seek to entirely ascend from the trappings of their rotting corpse and become one with death itself, transformed into a being of living shadow. Many of the clerics you meet will be part of the way through this transformation, or able to maintain the state in part for a small amount of time. Few will truly reach shadow ascension.

“What about the void?”

In older lore, the void and shadow have few similarities. The void is nothingness, a mysterious realm where myriad shapeless creatures reside. Like the voidwalkers reside. It is more specifically a place and little is known about it.

Shadow is the magic of death. It affects the mind and body, sapping life and causing terror and madness, but also capable of relieving one of their worries or even their free will entirely. This is the domain of the cult and any other shadow priest. The void is largely irrelevant.

“What about other races?”

The Forgotten Shadow is a philosophical creation of the Forsaken born from the old ways of the Light. That having been said, the lessons and virtues of the Cult can apply to anyone who wishes to listen.

Given an open-minded member of the Horde asks, it is rare that a cleric would fail to see the possible strength they could gain in having allies outside of the Forsaken.

Trolls in particular are likely to join the Cult. A shadow ascendant fits their definitions of a Loa, though they may see such a creature as a dark or dangerous Loa, they will likely show respect and might heed the ascendant’s words.

“Is this a guild?”

Yes and no.

I’ve made a guild, Cult of Forgotten Shadow. The guild will be a reasonably casual group of friendly people who want either want to hang out with mostly people in this community or want to help come up with stories, plot hooks and RP to move things forward. This won’t be the focus of what I hope to do here.

In the lore, the cult is meant to be disorganized with many branching sects and groupless individuals with minor disagreements on the best ways to accomplish their goals and I have no intention of claiming that my guild is the whole cult or discrediting anyone who doesn’t join.

The main goal I’m hoping to accomplish is to create a community spanning a large number of individual people in many different guilds who attend events and incorporate the themes of the Cult into their character’s RP.

I encourage anyone who is interested to drop in here and say hello, send me a whisper in-game (my character name is Abbri on BB as well), or join the Discord at the link below where we can have lore discussion, character building, plot development, and event planning.

Discord: vNvqGhK

12 Likes

Ooooh, I love this! I’ve been on the hunt for a good cult of forgotten shadows group

1 Like

This is awesome! I will totally participate with my Forsaken alt. I’ll send a whisper in-game

1 Like

Q shall be a Whisperer into this Shadow…and see what comes of that.

“When I was lost in Shadow I did not cry, I cried out…”

1 Like

Count me in! If you accept Affliction Warlocks as clergy I’d love to participate in that segment as well.

2 Likes

“The path that a cleric takes is a simple one, at least at the start. You need not tools, not money, nor reagents, not even a mouth with which to cast spells.
All we need are our minds. Our form of power is that purely of will and our thoughts and and rituals will bend the world to what we wish.
I may make it sound too easy, and I do. But you have already taken that first step towards exerting your will upon the fabric of the universe by wresting control of your corpse back from the Lich King.
From here on you will begin with the mastery of yourself. Then we can build upon your skills. You will learn to use the weave of death through this world and your own body to force that growing willpower upon others.
But for all of this, we will need to have some time alone to talk and practice. And of course, you would need to be taught the less glamorous rituals our clerics have established.
I see no reason why you wouldn’t be able to continue your demonic studies but you yourself may some day decide there isnt enough time for both endeavors.”

What about those of us who find ourselves so far from this Light of the Clerics that we have Forsaken even The Shadow for Rage…?

1 Like

"One who is consumed by rage will seldom find themselves in the state of mind needed to exert dominion over anything, even their own self.

Uncontrolled rage is nothing but a weakness. A chink in the armor of the mind that can be exploited by both magic and simple words.

Look at the fate of the orcs. Orcish rage, both innate and that caused by the blood-curse, has been used by demons to manipulate them to the brink of their people’s destruction.

That is not to say that strength can not be found through harnessing rage. Rage can be harnessed and controlled. Time needs to be spent honing the mind to keep that fury in check and not beyond the grasp of your control. Be not consumed and your path to power will ever remain true."

I am thrilled to see this, and very much interested in participating. You can find me holding monthly Forgotten Shadow sermons over on Wyrmrest Accord in Retail.

On Bloodsail Buccaneers, I play the same character (Maerlyn Eldham, in-game name: Maerlyn).

Expect to hear from me soon! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maerlyn’s the man! For any of you who don’t know him, he ran some of the best CFoS events I’ve ever been involved with back on WrA.

1 Like

I’m happy to see other people around who are familiar with and passionate about the Forgotten Shadow lore. Welcome.

Our first dark gathering approaches, brothers. Our path does not simply end at power. Power is the means to our own ends and with it we will achieve our truest wants and desires.

In a few short days we will gather in a place of rest to offer our vows to one another. Some of us taking the first step on the path, others emerging from the embrace of shadow to show our how they have grown.
Think hard on what you gather power for. What do you desire and what do you hope to accomplish. Together we will strive forward and refine our goals, clarifying our paths towards the ultimate virtue of power.

The Night of Vows
Date: 9/7/2019 Saturday
Time: 6PM

4 Likes

I won’t be able to make it, unfortunately. Any chance of a write up or summary being posted for those of us that will miss it?

It’s more of an interactive sort of thing than that. I’m not sure how useful a write-up would be. I plan to do this sort of event monthly as a way for everyone to check in and sort of share their character’s progress as well as get newer characters into the story.

Anyone who misses it for now can always come around for solo rp to get them in. I have no intention for the big events to be so important they cant be missed.

1 Like

eXcruciatingly inarrested in bringing leastways my Shadow Priest Burrose to this Edifying Event…unfortunately the Real Q cannot be on unto about 9P EST.

Saw you were attending the Tavern Event in Brill around 8P…will you still be ITW (In The World) at 9P, so we might talk, and I might learn a thing or three?

Hope to see everyone there soon!

Due to layering, if you plan to attend please send a whisper to Abbri for an invite to the raid.

Thanks to Abbri for organizing and planning an awesome event! I’m looking forward to more of these!

Thanks to everyone who came!

Keep in mind, I really want to move forward with what we started at the event and likely will be seeking out people who attended and other people who joined the community for more RP in the future.

2 Likes

Two large announcements!

Firstly, we’ve squared out some ‘ranks’ for the community, which are primarily displayed through roles in the Forgotten Shadow discord server. The ranks will quantify where characters in the community stand as members of the Cult for the sake of how others will interact with them.

Ranks are handled more loose than a typical guild might, essentially upon joining you simply announce where your character would best fit, outside of the requirements for the Dark Cleric(leadership role) you will simply be given the rank.

It is important to remember that ranks will not come with any OOC power.

Dark Cleric - A leadership role reserved for players willing to take the responsibility of being a storyteller and play one of the clergymen of the cult. Dark clerics will be doing several or all of the following: taking apprentices, helping push forward plot lines with cultists and initiates, running events, testing cultists and apprentices, and assuming a role of teacher in character. A Dark Cleric is constantly interested in the actions of others in the cult, both to assure no one undermines the greater health of the Cult and to keep cultists on their path and away from stagnancy. A Dark Cleric’s domain only extends as far as they reach their hands. Do not expect control of things that you haven’t orchestrated. I ask that any character of the Dark Cleric rank be at least level 20 and display a firm knowledge and creative interest in the Cult’s lore. You do not need to play a priest to take this rank.

Cultist - The bulk of the cult. Cultists show a firm understanding of the Forgotten Shadows virtues and live their lives/unlives in a pursuit of power. They work with the dark clerics to eliminate the cult’s enemies and work with each other in pursuits of mutual gain. They are constantly tested and pushed to their limits by the clerics. Cultists come in many forms, from a mage or swordsman to a lightslayer, one of the cult’s assassins specialized in murdering priests of the holy light. Cultists are expected to have a firm grasp of the cult’s virtues both ic and ooc, constantly incorporating them into their character.

Initiates - Initiates are still in the learning process, finding their path to power and in a state where they are trying to prove themselves of worth and loyalty. They are tested more gently by the dark clerics and may find more friendly cultists guiding them from time to time, or less friendly cultists hazing them. Expectations are low for initiates, the weak outnumber the strong and many will fail on their path.

Friends - Allies to the cult are simply friends. They may join us for events and work with the cult on mutual tasks. Typically friends have expressed little intention of joining the cult but may occasionally change their mind and become initiates.

Outsiders - The bulk of everyone. Those not privy to the cult or aware of it. Outsiders are not shunned, but rather they are encouraged to participate. Ambitious outsiders are of distinct interest to the Dark Clerics.

Secondly, the guild is now open for recruitment. Requirements for the guild are more strict than the community discord, including a level requirement of 15 for entry.

The guild and community as a whole are not separate and you will not gain advantages or special treatment for joining the guild itself. That having been said, the guild has higher expectations for writing skill and time investment and does not recruit alt characters. For the time being all Dark Clerics in the guild will need to progress up from lower ranks by proving themselves.

The guild and the community share the same themes and concept. If you are interested in joining the guild itself, please join the Discord and join in on some upcoming Forgotten Shadow RP before asking.

2 Likes