The Colossal Failure of Locking Servers

These forums: Blizzard knew Wrath would overload the servers and should’ve locked them before the queues started!

Also these forums: Blizzard has made a “colossal” mistake locking these servers!

6 Likes

They could have announced what they were planning in advance so people could avoid having their groups split. No communication whatsoever, and they completely ignored the server population issue for the entire TBC expansion until the very end. They could allow refunds for people who recently transferred to fix the issue, to allow groups to rejoin. They do not seem interested in doing so.

5 Likes

I would argue the opposite.

They should have locked realms long before queues became an issue.

Its a compounding issue of blizzard allowing servers to get too big and players all flocking to the same place.

If blizzard had capped servers initially at 5k/5k, none of this would have ever been a problem.

4 Likes

The thing about this is Sulfras was also a 99 percent horde server before they opened it for free transfers. We had played on this dying server for months unable to recruit and fill the ranks. We missed raiding several weeks due to one person not being able to make it. We decieded to trransfer a couple of months before pre-patch. The day we started transfering they locked out the server and only half of us was able to make the move. If we knew they where going to open up sulf to have free transfews to it, we would have not moved. We all paid to move and we aren’t able to even go back so are guild can be whole. Blizzards lack of communication has messed up our guild. Blizzard is one of the largest gaming companies in the world and should be better than this. I know myself over the years I have spent several thousands of dolloars on wow and other games made by blizzard and I am about to walk away from it all.

3 Likes

I think the worst part about this is your friends now have a transfer CD, so even if you guys decided to bounce to old blanchy or something you can’t

3 Likes

Its a bug. These are the servers that are supposed to be locked.

I don’t know what’s going on at Blizzard… I want to say it’s extreme incompetence for them to let this get this way.

It seems they want to make videos more than they actually want to manage this game and create a healthy player environment.

I paid to transfer 3 characters from Sulfuras to Whitemane and now our guild is cut in half with no resolution available. Blizz should either refund our transfers and revert our characters back to Sulfuras or lift the embargo from Whitemane to allow the rest of the guild to move.

3 Likes

Why wouldn’t you all move at the same time to avoid this?

1 Like

Amen. Half our core raid is stuck on sulf still after the other half had already transferred to whitemane….

1 Like

please open sulfarus. My bro needs to xfer off benediction or make a new char at the very least. PLEASE

I’ve been thinking about this, I remember there was a Blue post saying something along the lines of that they could open/close servers at anytime with no warning.

I suppose a reason for the lack of communication is deliberate as they don’t want people to transfer in a last ditch attempt to get onto a server and possible cause a ton of issues they were trying to resolve by locking the servers in the first place.

If they said that Sulfuras was getting locked, there could of been a surge of transfers as people make that leap if they hadn’t yet taken the free transfer to begin with. If said surge of transfers just causes a ton of issues (especially if Sulfruas was already getting large queues) then the point of locking servers (to stop transfers) is nullified by the fact that announcing the lock beforehand just causes a surge.

Obviously just a theory, it could be that they’re really just fumbling hard as they’re trying to get as many people playing without servers dying quickly after the surge dies down leading to free transfers, server merges or people using paid transfers.

1 Like

We started transfering off to whitemaine before they opening up free transfers to Sulfuras. There was no warning on locking Whitemane or any warning that they where going to open free transfers to Sulfuras when we left. We decided to move months before pre-patch because our server was dead. They then openned free transfers to Sulfuras after they had already locked whitemaine. The free transfers operpopulated sulfuras to the point it now has a que. Whitemaine still does not have a que but it is locked. The post you are speaking of did not occur until a few days after they locked Whitemane, they then started dicussing closing the free transfers to Sulfuras after it had que.

Your friends should transfer off the locked server.

We can not because there is a 3 month cooldown after transfering a toon. Plus sulfuras is a locked server now too. We would not have left if we knew they where gonig to open up the server to have 40k tranfers to in in a few days. We started transfering to Whitemaine on pre-patch day, they then locked whitemane the next day and half did not make it over, After a few days a huge que started Faralina and others servers. they then opened Sulfras to free transfers from pther locked servers. Sulfruas was practically dead before they opened up the free transfers, and it now has a que.

1 Like

We’re you not aware of this before transferring?

Shame. Not too late to level a toon before wrath!

Look, I get that Blizzard isn’t run by the most competent people, but I’m sure they knew threads like these were coming. That’s probably why they didn’t want to do this. But this is what we asked for. We wanted them to be heavy handed in managing servers. This is what that looks like. If you start making exceptions for guild A, then you have to make them for guild B, C, D, etc.

I was more saying that I feel like the no warning was intentional, not out of incompetence. Warning ahead of time would of caused a surge of players to transfer, making the situation they are trying to fix worse.

I know it has had consequences as a result but they are working with imperfect solutions. At least you can say, at least right now, they are trying even if results are unsatisfactory.

Yes we knew there was a cool down on transfering toons, what we did not know they where going to lock the whitemaine server before we could all transfer, nor did we know there was going to be a influx of 40k transfers several days after locking whitemaine because they opend Sulfuras to recieve free transfers.

Our guilds raiders is in almost full BiS gear and leveled professions for WOTLK. Several people have 50k+ in gold saved. To have these people leave there BiS geared toons and start all over is crazy. Most of the people that are left will likely just quit playing the game before they think of doing that. They also have jobs and what not, to level and gear a toon with proffesions would take longer than a week.

At this point most of us would pay just to get us all on the same server but half of us have the 3 month CD.

Its also funny considering how before the queues they said that server communities were to big to have meaningful social interactions and as soon as they are forced to transfer all of a sudden its “I cant because I don’t want to leave my social network” typical entitled modern mmo player. They want it all.

1 Like