The 'BfA is two expansions in one' Theory (Very Long)

(TL;DR: The current expansion is a mash of two different ones, essentially retreads of Cataclysm, and MoP.)

So, there’s been some statements floating around the forums (I’ve said so as well) that, as the way too long didn’t read statement says above, BfA is made up of two different expansions that were blended together in a somewhat haphazard way. Because I have too much free time, I thought I would lay out my theories, thoughts, and the evidence regarding this.

Firstly, in order to better see the viewpoint of this theory, we need to discard the idea of linear development for WoW content, and instead take on the mindset that this ‘much larger team’ that was boasted about some time ago isn’t unified in their work. Instead, consider the idea that multiple expansions and features are being worked on at the same time, at any given time. Ergo, a Cataclysm 2.0, an MoP 2.0, and Shadowlands, were all being worked on to some extent concurrently, as opposed to one after the other.

Next, and this one is a little more tinfoil hat (maybe an entire tinfoil suit), take into account that the direction of the latter half of the expansion flies in the face of Blizzard’s pattern that they’ve had in terms of story for quite some time, at least until Legion. That is, one expansion tackles more abstract, high concept fantasy threats, and the following one brings it down a bit by tackling more grounded, visceral threats. You’ll see what I mean by comparing The Burning Crusade with Wrath of the Lich King in terms of story beats and themes. One is extremely high fantasy, bordering on sci-fi, while the other is more grounded, gothic fantasy. WotLK was followed by Cataclysm, which dealt with alternate planes of elemental lords, collecting pieces of a ‘world pillar’ and nuking a giant dragon before he causes the end times. Followed by the more exotic but still somewhat more grounded MoP, followed by WoD, aka alternate reality time travel with demons. Now, at this point, I’m sure you’ll point out that Legion breaks this pattern, and you’d be right, but here’s the thing:

Legion was a mashed together expansion hybrid too.

The first arc of Legion is in keeping with the pattern. Yes the demons are a threat, but we’re exploring the Broken Isles, dealing with much more grounded problems. The demons are there, but we’re still within the realm of Warcraft, of Azeroth, much like MoP. A year later? And we’re on a different planet dodging fire from literal starships before we rescue the spirits of nearly omnipotent gods. If you look at Legion as the combination of an expansion dealing with the Legion threat on Azeroth, and a later expansion where we go to Argus, and several other planets, rooting out the Legion there, the disjointed aspect makes more sense. 7.2 was considered lackluster compared to 7.0, .1, and .3, and that’s because it was made to link the pieces of the two expansions together. The reason Legion did better in terms of both story and content? They sacrificed development on WoD to have more time for it.

So, accepting those ideas, what was the original plan and where’s the evidence for it? I’M GLAD YOU ASKED!

Imagine this, if you will: Blizzard has been working on five different expansions at once, and they have a loose plan for them in terms of order. Legion Invasion(Middle fantasy), Argus(High Fantasy/Scifi), Azerite and faction war(Middle Fantasy), Azshara and N’zoth(High Fantasy), and what will become Shadowlands. They get Legion out, mashing both together, and it manages to go well, great! But what about the next few expansions? Well, we have a faction war expansion, but no pre-order bonus, no cinematic, and nothing planned or even partially developed beyond the first content patch. Meanwhile, the guys working on the Old God stuff have several Saurfang cinematics, a cool Siege of Lordaeron cinematic, some designs for Naz’jatar, lots of Old God designs, and so on. There’s also some new customization options for that big overhaul lying around as well. Shadowlands is a really cool concept, and calls back to the most popular and beloved expansion, so let’s take a shortcut through this faction war and Old God stuff and sprint to that!

Tada, we have BfA. Now, as for what the two expansions would have been, well, it’s not as simple as one expac making up the first portion, and the other making up the second. Instead, we have an almost haphazard sprinkling of stuff all over, some of which is Blizzard level high quality in terms of story and polish, and others seemingly tossed together. But I’ll lay out what sort of clues we have, and try to argue the original path meant to be taken.

First expansion: Cataclysm style pre-patch, no Siege, no Burning. No one actually knows what Azerite does, other that it’s popping up all over the place, and crazy Azerite elementals are attacking major cities. Tensions run high, and due to the underlying machinations of N’zoth, we get war. This time, the Alliance is on the offensive first, with two warfronts, Arathi aaaaand… Silvermoon. Much of the other content is the same in the first bit, with Zandalar and Kul Tiras, and trying to get the fleets. Horde is losing on several fronts, the whole path of the expansion is focused on locking down Zandalar and Kul Tiras from the various major threats, with a much bigger central focus on both Azerite, and the various threats therein, with raids focusing on those local threats. No war campaign, no Saurfang arc, though he’s certainly present. The expansion ends with Azeroth’s wounds being mostly healed, and Azerite starts to slowly vanish.

Evidence/Clues: The pre-patch for BfA is very disjointed from the expansion later. Even with context, it makes little sense, and both factions once the expansion launches are scrambling for it immediately in the war campaign, even as at the same time we have an entire chain in Tirisgarde trying to figure out what the stuff is and what it can do. Characters often act as if they know exactly what Azerite is capable of, meanwhile the pre-patch events are rarely mentioned at all for much of it. As for the warfronts, a Silvermoon Warfront was conceptually datamined way back, but there’s a more obvious clue, that being the upgraded armor/weapons of the Silvermoon Guards, and more glaringly, Lady Liadrin’s new weapons. She’s running around with a sword and shield that don’t match her armor at all, the models screaming Blood Elf, almost as if they were made as a weapon model for a warfront. The first season of BfA is littered with this, designs and assets that seem more suited for raids but are then rushed past in favor of Naz’jatar. Major characters who are supposed to be central to the expansion fade out, and there’s not a single cinematic featuring them.

Second Expansion: Pre-patch event is what we got in BfA, but reversed. Azerite is scarce now, Alliance is winning on all fronts. Alliance pushes to Undercity, because there’s supposed to be a big war machine there… same thing plays out, with Undercity blighted and abandoned, which pushes the Horde to Kalimdor. At which point, there’s a feint made as if the Horde is marching to take Silithus, the last major area with Azerite. War of Thorns happens, Teldrassil burns, Saurfang, who has been slowly exhausted by the war, abandons the Horde and surrenders. He knows something isn’t right, and has for a while. The rest of the expansion is much the same as the latter half of BfA, but with Naz’jatar first, and N’zoth being released. Middle patch is corrupted visions, Nyalotha the third patch. Warfronts are Barrens and Darkshore. Saurfang’s arc is much the same, with Sylvanas finally snapping and leaving the Horde. Horde and Alliance forge a tentative peace by then, followed immediately by N’zoth making his move in full, as seen in the current patch.

Evidence: Metzen wrote the BfA cinematic years ago, and was surprised when he learned it was the Horde who attacked first. We have multiple mentions of Sylvanas being a tactical genius, but we never see it, and her turning against the Horde is very rushed, with little reason as to why the other leaders are slow to turn on her. A lot of her voice lines, especially for the last bit, were recorded very late (per her VA’s tweet about recording those final lines). Yet more evidence, the Darkshore Warfront isn’t nearly as polished as the Arathi one (Kaldorei armor in particular is very rushed, and some sets are literally missing effects), and instead of having one Warfront the Alliance wins, and one the Horde does, we have two where the Horde loses. The war campaign, and even stuff to do with Saurfang, all seems like it was tossed together very quickly. The former isn’t even voice acted, and has no cutscenes, despite being a major part of the expansion, and Saurfang being captured by Tyrande at Teldrassil could easily have been the initial plan, because the scene of him being captured at Lordaeron, a major event, is one of those pseudo-cutscenes, machinima style, whereas almost everything else is a cinematic.

If you’ve read this far, I have two questions. First, what the hell is wrong with you? And second, what are your thoughts on this? Are there any other clues or pieces of evidence you feel support this theory, or do you feel as though it’s far too tinfoil hat and there’s a plethora of other reasons BfA’s story, and content, is so out of whack?

Either way, thank you for reading my word vomit and haphazard brainstorming.

13 Likes

tldr sorry
but ive long thought this expansion was a mish mash of leftover ideas

we know they werent planning to make garrosh a raid boss as early, so they had a bunch of war ideas left over. thats why the war seems like a repeat of cata and mists and takes place in the same areas even.

but is it two expansions? nay child its more like 3 or more

• south seas
  • leftover faction war
  • old gods
  • azshara
2 Likes

I said this before, but I definitely feel this expansion should have concentrated on the faction war and the whole Azeroth is dying thing.

Starting out on Kul Tiras and Zandalar was great. But as the updates came out, we should have had new Warfronts that actually progressed the war on the mainland, while having Mechagon and Kezan added on at a later point. Then the finale of the expansion would have had us putting the war on hold to actually DO something about the giant sword killing the planet. Maybe a raid to the planets core to remove or destroy the thing and actually save Azeroth.

Nazjatar and Ny’alotha I would have just saved for their own expansion. Where instead of being one zone, Nazjatar would have been a whole series of zones surrounding the Maelstrom like they were in some of Warcrafts older maps:
https://gamepedia.cursecdn.com/wowpedia/1/1e/Maelstromundersea.PNG
And then Ny’alotha would have been an Antorus-style update later on.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s been a growing concern of mine that Blizzard seems determined to blaze through all of their expansion concepts and squander their potential. Between these last two xpacs we’ve had

-Broken Isles
-Emerald Nightmare
-Argus
-Kul Tiras
-Zandalar
-Nazjatar
-Ny’alotha

That’s seven potential expansions explored in just two. Now I’m definitely not saying none of those should have been grouped together but there’s a middle ground. The last two in particular were done dirty in terms of scope. And of course, it’s not just the geography that suffers but the story as well.

I used to just believe that Blizz was terrified of us getting bored of one theme (think back to complaints of orc fatigue and fel green fatigue) and were simply trying too hard to avoid that but BfA’s completely nonsensical story does support the notion that some eleventh-hour Frankensteining of different projects occurred. Pretty much everyone agrees that at the very least BfA would have functioned better if split into a faction war xpac and a Nazjatar/Ny’alotha one.

Shadowlands, being their most sandboxy expansion concept ever, lets them completely avoid the burnout problem since new zones can have wildly different themes. So if we still wind up absconding to some other plane of existence or planet by 9.2…

6 Likes

Lol seven some of the stuff you named couldn’t hold a whole xpac and lol the emerald dream blizzard has been saying they refuse to make a xpac set there since the dawn of wow every gamelead from mezten to ion has said no to a emerald dream xpac

Personally I would have clumped them into 5 expansions. Make Emerald stuff a proper patch. Keep Kul Tiras and Zandalar together. Basically what OP believes they were originally going for except additionally splitting Nazj and Ny up.

Suddenly my thread is semi-active, what the heck happened?

In any case, there’s also some evidence in regards to the allied race portion of my initial post that lends more credence to the idea that a lot of BfA was a last minute hashing of several different projects. There are several hairstyles in the game files, some since WoD, that have never been given to players, indicating that they’ve been working on this customization revamp for a really long time.

One of the styles we actually see on female nelf NPCs… and it’s actually the style used in the female nelf Artcraft, to boot.

1 Like

Nope those styles have been in the game since cata, blizzard just has never made them available for whatever reason
infact, even tho blizzard updated them for wod, and they still never made them available makes me think that they will also not be available for shadowlands, and the customizing they are talking doesnt include them.

You’ve essentially hit the nails on the head. The best part of the expansion was the non-faction war parts. Would like to add the problematic “let’s make it like Game of Thrones’ but with more Lovecraft!”

2 Likes

The pieces are all there, is the frustrating part, and it genuinely makes me wonder when their development style possibly changed. My assumption is that it happened in WoD development, as a way to sort of… mitigate another WoD from happening. Prior to Legion, we’d never really had a story beat where we literally leave the main continent behind completely in terms of story like we did in 7.2 and 7.3.

You can barely tell 8.3 is the same expansion as 8.0, and quite frankly the same could already be said for 8.2.

4 Likes

Not just between patches, between everything. One point I’m at war with the Alliance, then trying to find Saurfang to help the Alliance. Don’t get me wrong I’m pro-Saurfang, but if I am pro-Saurfang then why am I killing Alliances when we will need them in the end?

Worse so on the Alliance side. One point you’re at war with us for very justified reasons. Then the next you’re helping us. Jaina bouncing from “I’m listening father, beware of me Horde!” To “We must save the Horde!” Did I uhhh … did I miss something? I am so confused here.

I’m hoping that the whole “N’zoth makes a comeback” theories become correct. The tragic part is that BfA wasted a Void expansion. Also an actual well written faction war expansion, if that is possible really, it is very hard honestly.

4 Likes

I’m of the belief that a faction war can never be done right because it poisons nearly any character involved, and makes it impossible for any sort of objectivity to come about in the writing, the writers themselves included.

However, if they’d actually done a build up as my theory suggests the plan was, they’d have come really close.

5 Likes

True I do believe there is yet another faction war being cooked up with Tyrande and Genn being aggresive. The epilogues are just screaming that to me. Will have to wait and see until after Sylvanas’ fate. The other issue is the Alliance has to start it without just wiping out the Horde with a flick of the wrist. Need to balance the power scales in a more sensible position before another faction war starts. Want to avoid another “Tyrande should kill everything with a thought!” Fiasco.

I agree that BfA is a combination of at least two expansions; the N’zoth expansion and the HvA expansion. And I agree these were being developed while Legion (possibly as early as WoD) was being finalized, and Shadowlands came about around the same time. But as I see it, Shadowlands was supposed to be the follow-up to Legion with the other two coming later, only for something to stall the Shadowlands expac and forcing the under-developed Horde-Alliance conflict and N’zoth stuff to be merged to buy time.

Here’s my tinfoil contribution.

My (shaky, barely worthy of being called) evidence

Simply put, both a Horde vs Alliance conflict and the final (known and confirmed) Old God are the headliners for an expansion, complete with major end bosses (Sylvannas and N’zoth respectively), and tier 2 bosses for the X.2.5 patch raid (Nathanos and Azshara, also respectively). This fits nearly all prior expansions, and by merging the two potential expansions, only bosses from one were used. We never fight Sylvannas, even though both sides have every reason to. We never fight her best guy, who has seemingly vanished from the narrative by 8.3. Even the reason we don’t fight Sylvy is weak; she just flew away after arbitrarily throwing her former loyal soldiers aside for no reason, and nobody tried to stop her, in spite of Thrall and Anduin both being present.

It don’t make any sense for an expansion headlined with Sylvy as a main antagonist. But it makes perfect sense if this was never intended as the expansion where she goes full Garrosh.

Additionally, the entire Old God subplot… Or main plot… The entire Old God something plot is missing narrative beats, while also being the only narrative telling a full story. We go from some Alliance-only questing zone with an old god presence to a dagger searching for a body. Azshara shows up to maybe take the dagger, but really wanting the adventurer’s heart. N’zoth’s free, we fight him, the end.

But… The entire questing experience (other than Stormsong) has nothing to do with N’zoth. Azshara’s involvement is now somehow tied tangentially into the HvA narrative because of Dagger Girl, even though removing that entire subplot changes very little. The Nyalotha we’ve been getting whispers around for nearly a decade exists as nothing but a raid. In fact, most of the N’zoth stuff exists solely in the form of a mid-expansion zone, two zone reskins, 16.6% of the leveling zones (linked to only one faction, mind), and dungeons and raids.

I was about to use this paragraph to try and compare this to some past expansions, and I struggled to come up with one. The closest I came up with was WoD and Archimonde, but even that doesn’t really work. We were told from Frostfire and Shadowmoon that the Iron Horde was the bad guys, that Gul’Dan was being sneaky and already was working with demons, and in the end that was all tied together more tightly that we the player base expected. But with hindsight, we can see it.

With hindsight, I can see the N’zoth stuff clearly, but only if I remove all the Horde and Alliance stuff. Or I can see Sylvannas betraying the Horde, but only if I throw away the N’zoth stuff. Because in both situations, the existence of one in the others storyline begs for a more closely connected conclusion, but no such thing exists.

In other words, N’zoth wasn’t freed because of Sylvannas’s direct actions. Azshara wanted the heroes, and Nathanos leading them into a trap was a convenience, nothing more.

Sylvannas didn’t turn traitor against the Horde because of N’zoth’s influence. She… Barely seemed aware that an Old God was waking up.

So in conclusion to my evidence, everything about each super-important, major narrative exists as close to separate from the other narrative as possible, which we haven’t seen before in a WoW expansion.

So why do I think Shadowlands was planned first?

This is where I really reach, so strap in.

Throughout Legion’s Death Knight campaign, we see Bolvar becoming more akin to the old Lich King. He’s raising his Horsemen, he’s trying to steal the corpse of Tyrion, he keeps threatening to take over the DK champion’s will. There’s a strong theme that the power is corrupting him. It’s all clearly building towards something more than getting punked out by Sylvy in a 1v1 duel.

Also in Legion, we have a few surprise and sudden deaths. Vol’jin and Varian are obvious, as is Tyrion himself. Even with just those three, we have more major NPCs dying in the intro to the expansion than we’ve seen in the whole of any previous expansion. This builds up the threat on the surface, but also gives us plenty to work with in a death-focused expansion.

We also have Sylvannas’s deal with Helya, and really all things Helya-related in general. Sylvy’s bargain (maybe) coming to fruition two expansions and at least four years later is a pretty long wait for a moment from a single quest, but following up on that right in the next one, only two years later? That works much better. Through Helya we’re also taking our first trip into a death realm (Helheim) and seeing the afterlife might not be exactly what we’d previously thought.

Legion also shows us another instance where death might not be the end we expect. When Ysera dies, we see Elune take her away and later, at the end of the first raid, we find her existing as a shadowy thing in the Emerald Dream. This also implies much about what we think of death being incorrect, but I really don’t know what to make of it beyond that.

Finally, we also learn through outside media around this time that there is one thing both the Light and the Void hate; undeath. They really hate that crap. We always knew the Light had a thing against the unclean walking dead things, but we now learned that the Void kinda agrees with the Light on this. Zombies are abhorrent and must be squashed.

So. Lots of big deaths. Lich King 2.0 becoming even Lichier and Kingier. Deadlands aren’t what we thought, and has at least one special god thing in Helya, and might be broken up into more than one zone. And, it even ties into the Light vs Void theme we saw through Legion, building up towards the end, with both sharing a special hate-on.

We’re summing it all up and knitting it together now.

This has the makings for a good expansion. There are far more hints here at a Shadowlands-adjacent expansion than a “Horde vs Alliance, costarring N’zoth” expansion. We can see elements from Legion leading into a death-inspired expansion. And while I’m sure that I think I could use what I’ve already conspiracy theoried together here to make a more logical (to me) lead-in to a HvA and then N’zoth expansion, I’ve rambled and derailed enough. Bye.

1 Like

I think Blizzard underestimated how underwhelming the Island Expeditions, Warfronts, and Azerite gearing system would be. Also, their decision to try and add Kul Tirans to the allied race roster after BfA was well underway meant they wouldn’t be ready at launch.

It wasn’t the bad story that really did in BfA. It was the bad gameplay. People will stick WoW if it’s fun to play. No matter how stupid the plot is. They won’t stick with WoW if the daily gameplay loop is unrewarding. Not even if it got an award for “best videogame script” or something.

They started developing modifications/replacements/addons to the Azerite system. They scrapped all the proposed warfronts after the first. Island expeditions didn’t get expanded all that much either. Instead, they focused a lot on Azshara/Mechagon in 8.2.

I’m pretty sure the whole plan for 8.3 was scrapped at some point, which is why the faction conflict seems to end so quickly in a 0.5 patch before veering off into a very different story. Note that 8.3 has none of the high quality CGI cinematics that 8.0, 8.1, 8.2, and 8.2.5 had. Those things take time to create.

2 Likes

Exactly. It was blizzards attempt to connect the two storylines.

Now try removing the plot point that the faction conflict accelerated the Sha Primes escaping their prisons from MoP. You can’t.

Regardless of whether or not Blizzard intended some of these threads to be multiple expansions; I think it is frustrating how much the faction war had nothing to do with N’zoth. I wonder if they originally intended it too, maybe present the faction was as this kind of GRIMDARK setting from which N’zoth can manipulate truth and lead us down a path of self destruction… But what we ultimately got was just several ideas put into one.

BFA isn’t one story, it’s five or six stories all in one trench coat pretending to be one story, and that’s pretty undisputable. The question is why?

Did Blizzard have a means of connecting these threads that ultimately didn’t make it to the final product? Were they something Blizzard pulled the plug on or something that just didn’t get produced in time? Is Blizzard suffering logistic issues? Or is this something they did willfully?

Could it be that Blizzard is just trying to sweep up as many plot points as possible in as few expansions as possible, and if so… Why?

Maybe they want a full reset? A WoW 2? Maybe a Warcraft 3 Reforged was to gauge the demand of the RTS Market within the WoW community for a Warcraft 4?

Or maybe Blizz just messed up, idk.

1 Like

The cynic in me says that the new staff wants to get rid of the threads started by the old staff so they can try and show off their creative genius.

1 Like

It really does feel like this. N’zoth and Azshara were really the last big plot points hanging around before we’d be in uncharted territory with Shadowlands, the Void Lords, and the Light.

I get the feeling that Blizz wanted to charge ahead into this unknown where they wouldn’t feel shackled by issues that had been sitting on the backburner for years, so they just slapped them onto BFA and got rid of them.

With N’zoth unceremoniously kicking the bucket, I fully expect Azshara and Sargeras to fulfill Illidans old “break glass in case of emergency” role for when they feel they need to hype something up.

5 Likes

It’s a fascinating theory, and I’d love to know how right it is. But the thought of the Sylvanas/Saurfang plot dragging out over four years of real time makes me think maybe this way is better after all.