The Battle for Wintergrasp in Wrath Classic

Blizzard is so out of touch with community or maybe just lazy these days…

Lets remove RDF because we want player to be more social but lets make Wintergrasp and an instance BG as well. Where is logic here? Why do you have to mess with something which was perfectly fine before? Don’t you listen to the players anymore?
We want RFD, we want original Wintergrasp, we want classic WOTLK experience , stop making it WOTLK as retail.

8 Likes

They shouldn’t have sat back and watched these 1 sided mega servers form without doing anything to prevent it from happening, then they could have just released wintergrasp as is. Probably never occurred to them that it would come back to bite them in the butt, despite the forums being littered with posts warning them.

7 Likes

There’s a simple solution. Just add a wintergrasp like NPC that queues players up for random PvE dungeons.

2 Likes

I think this is a fine solution, Atleast based on our surface view of it. I’ll be looking forward to see if the team changes the “Essence of Wintergrasp” buff before it actually enters beta. But we shall see.

Tho, I dislike that you’re taking this approach while also removing RDF from the game. I understand the team doesn’t want to have WG like this, but you might as well just bring RDF back at this rate. Lol

1 Like

God I’m glad I’m not playing this spit storm

2 Likes

You mean that PVP community that demands cross-realm battlegrounds, and then when there aren’t enough, demands that they can play cross-realm against their own faction? That community?

You have posted in the WRONG FORUM. This is the Vanilla Classic spot and not Wrath Classic.

I cannot report this post for being in the wrong forum…

This is a reasonable solution for the complex problem of Wintergrasp…

My TL;DR understanding is:
-Wintergrasp is now an instanced battleground that is run once every 3 hours.
-If a player on my realm and faction participates, and wins, my faction on my realm is granted the Essence of Wintergrasp buff which gives ‘control’ of the non-instanced zone.

Here is my criticism:
Tenacity will not work. You will eventually have to make Wintergrasp 40v40 or similar.

Tenacity was always a crappy band-aid solution to Wintergrasp in WotLK.

Even if you are a ‘raid boss’ in Wintergrasp, you are vulnerable to crowd control and spell lockouts etc. which prevents you from engaging in PvP or makes PvP low-quality where some class/specs do ok, and others can’t do anything. It’s also not fun fighting a ‘raid boss’ player when you approach them and randomly get 1-shot.

Secondly, the main feature of Wintergrasp is siege warfare using vehicles. The vehicles do not get Tenacity. So you can’t destroy a wall. So you lose. Even if vehicles got tenacity, who wants to fight a 1 bazillion hp tank that shoots fire and obliterates anything within 100 yards. That would be fun for about 2 minutes.

Other criticism and suggestions for Wintergrasp:
Wintergrasp when not in session was a crappy World PvP zone. There were a couple of weekly quests to go kill some elementals or whatever.
Add more quests/things to do in the zone if you want people to actually go there.
Secondly, disable flying in the zone permanently. Flying is death to World PvP, but farming bots love it.

4 Likes

So is this cross server or not? Am I randomly going to get the buff because a handful of people from my server won a WG thats on a 3 hour cross server timer?

If this is not cross realm you are going to have worse than 5v40 you are going to have 0 people of a given servers faction Q.

So this is now a cross server on a 3 hour timer BG or is just going to be the joke we knew it would be when you let these servers go to hell.

I don’t really get it but I’m glad most people here are getting turned off from wrath classic. It’s time for us to return to our roots. Just take a break and wait for new fresh vanilla servers to come out. Vanilla supremacy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Same complaints about Tenacity were voiced when Wrath was current. Exact same.

Doesn’t matter if you’re 750,000 DPS with it. Fear fear fear. Stun stun stun. Silence silence silence. Then rinse and repeat. As long as you’re CC-Ed, it simply doesn’t matter.

1 Like

That’s not how I recall it at all. As I remember, the faction that had tenacity always wins.

1 Like

Honestly, if a server has a 95%+ of one faction dominating, it’s because the people on that server chose it to be that way. If the minority faction can’t win or get the benefits of it, then that’s what they asked for. Some servers, one faction always has the Spirit Towers. Always. That means, that faction can always work towards the level 67 epic rings and the other faction has no shot. If imbalanced servers always have one faction control WG, then tough cookies to the other faction.

Again, everyone on that server chose that.

1 Like

This is a outrage so many people were excited for 120v120 and now you took it away because of a “Phasing issue” this isn’t 2008 anymore were not a bunch of dumb kids to buy into you’re excuses and think this is ok the game is over 17 years old on the same bad ip with terrible coding because you have terrible young developers that have no idea what they are doing just getting out of university so instead of putting you’re foot down and kicking them in the butt you decided to take the lazy route and give us a lazy excuse thinking the community will buy it it would of been true if this was actually a wraith release back in 2008 but honestly this is just a spit in the face its just one thing after another with you blizzard if you guys are not gonna put up with having to make your community happy give the game to someone who actually cares cause this is starting to piss me off i been playing since vanilla after mop is when your game went down hill adding pandas to the game

2 Likes

It’s not a phasing issue. Well actually it is, sorta. Layering is a ghetto stitched together fix for sharing. In reality, if blizzard had the hardware to handle all those people on one area, it would be no issue. Private servers can run this volume on hardware costing the host 3k a year. Blizzard just doesn’t want to spend money on you guys

1 Like

Any consideration on removing the “No Fly Zone” in the open world Wintergrasp, since flying restriction on the zone was originally placed based around the original purpose of the zone being PVP based? Sorry if its been asked already, but if the battle for WG becomes instanced content it seems only natural to remove the flying restriction, at least for the winning faction.

my understanding is that the outdoor Wintergrasp zone will never host a battle, it will only be instanced.
Therefore the zone will always be flying.

I am hoping they actually make the zone a permanent no-fly zone. That would encourage World PvP a lot better, and discourage farming bots.

2 Likes

Well maybe not entire.
But enough to ensure bonuses for somebodies.
:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

I think they should just force balance the servers. Pull people from servers based on population and faction and just balance them and let people cry about it. That way they can get the whole social aspect of meeting new people and finding new guilds and we can all have Wintergrasp as it was intended. Sounds perfect to me.

3 Likes

Hi,

Can you clarify if this is server specific or cross realm?

You mention the concern about people not being able to participate, but it is still a 40 man pvp instance, meaning only 40 people can queue in a specific realm. Or if its cross realm, as long as one member of your faction wins, the entire server will get the essence and do the raid. That makes WG pointless then