The Ashbringer

It is no secret that the Corrupted Ashbringer, or just the Ashbringer in general, is a very iconic and likely the most known weapon in all of World of Warcraft for players. But what i’m about to suggest may either get a few nods, or a lot of hate. But what if blizzard at the very least did 1 singular change to the Classic WoW when it releases or maybe even down the line when people have reached that late end-game content.

The Corrupted Ashbringer is an extremely rare item in WoW, last I checked only 1 person per server was allowed to obtain this particular item (I could be wrong, do correct me if so) and it was even more rare when you were able to even get to the boss who dropped it, let alone defeat them (The horsemen from the Naxxramas raid was considered 1 boss, but was 4 entities). So why not add a simple quest line for the Ashbringer for specific players who manage to acquire to turn it into the holy weapon that it once was. Kinda like a similar questline that they used for Shadowmourne in the later Wrath of the Lich King expansion.

In doing these quests you would essentially get an upgrade from an epic Corrupted Ashbringer to a legendary Purified Ashbringer. Which would give you much more notoriety and make you that much harder to defeat on a battlefield with any player or npc.

Anywho, this is just a simple thought I conjured up while watching a lore video behind Classic WoW weapons. If there were to be any changes at all that blizzard would like to incorporate to classic, the most notable one would be adding a quest chain to purify the Corrupted Ashbringer in my humble opinion. I’d certainly like to hear your thoughts on this from both the community and blizzard, and if anything generate a nice topic discussion for those who loved classic back in 2004.

1 Like

I hope this thread dies fast and painfully you sound like a casual noob player. Post in the unarmored mount mega thread and stop rambling about loot that can drop its not 1 per server educate yourself . Later

And you sound like someone who had a stick up their rear end over a simple post. Do calm down and go drink some tea. It’s an idea. I wasnt demanding this.

4 Likes

Yea chief that whole per server thing is fake and you’re just going to get flak from the no changes crowd. Interesting for the Classic+ thread.

1 Like

Every time you make a low frequency low IQ thread like this a valuable one gets pushed down.

6 Likes

No.

Really bad idea.

3 Likes

Also the most ninjaed and /gquits afterwards.

Not my problem mate. If it’s that valuable then someones gotta pin it. If theres an issue over an idea such as this then there should be more rules + regulations on what gets posted on here regarding classic. Like I said, go drink some tea and chill.

I already have a Corrupted Ashbringer… In Diablo III

i wouldn’t add it upon release, but i also wouldn’t necessarily have a problem with it being added later under the argument that (from what i remember) they were planning to add a quest to cleanse the ashebringer in original vanilla but they didn’t finish it, also calm down lilskyx

from wowpedia

The Ashbringer may have been originally intended to be in the game during Classic. Parts of what seems to be a scrapped quest line can be pieced together:

• [Nat Pagle] learned the location of the Ashbringer and wrote about it in his book, [[Nat Pagle’s Guide to Extreme Anglin’]], of which players only had the last page.
  • The full but unreadable copy of the book ([A Thoroughly Read Copy of “Nat Pagle’s Extreme’ Anglin.”] could be found in [Dire Maul].
  • [Shen’dralar Zealots] also in Dire Maul claimed [Prince Tortheldrin] knew the location of the Ashbringer, and was willing to tell the [adventurer] if one were to bring him the [[Head of Nefarian]].
  • The Prince, being a bibliophile, ostensibly learned of the Ashbringer’s location from Nat’s book, and discarded the book in Dire Maul where the adventurer found it.
  • The zealots’ words suggest there were plans for Ashbringer to be the legendary item associated with [Blackwing Lair], which would be released four months after Dire Maul. However, the Blackwing Lair legendary became [[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]] instead. This was supported by the fact that the item ID for Thunderfury was originally used for Ashbringer, found from datamining.[[ citation needed ]]
  • At one time, [[Timolain’s Phylactery]] could be looted from [Large Vile Slimes] in the [Weeping Cavern] of the [Western Plaguelands]. Lengthy discussion on the official forums led to an incorrect but popular conclusion that [Timolain] was the name of the [mage] referred to by [Bardu Sharpeye] and [Alexia Ironknife], and therefore was the crafter of the Ashbringer in its original questline. [Bloodmage Thalnos] was also speculated to be the crafter of the Ashbringer at one point, since the [Scarlet Crusade] had no affinity for the arcane.

i definitely don’t want any changes in the game, but post release after everyone has settled down and had time to enjoy the game fully, i could see them maybe adding it given that it was intended to be in the original vanilla anyways

2 Likes

Yes. The entire reason this thread was posted was based off of what blizz had planned for the Corrupted Ashbringer. It would’ve been nice to have a quest chain to actually cleanse the blade and give another nice legendary to people.

The lore, at the time, said the blade was uncleansable and that it was possible to craft another but would have to be crafted by his son which was hinted to be in outland.

1 Like

Ah I see. Interesting to know, but still it provided excellent potential for a Purified Ashbringer. Even if it had to be in the later Burning Crusade expansion, which was unfortunately not what Blizz was planning with the Classic servers.

Some say Corrupted Ashbringer?

The Ashbringer…

1 Like

The ol Trashbringer. Making ret pallies feel valid since 2006.

1 Like

The Ashbringer. . .

2 Likes

the original plan for it was to craft a new and even better sword in Outland, since as Fairbanks said, throw that horrid thing away, it’s corrupted beyond any hope of repair.

1 Like

Based on what everyone has said so far about what blizz had planned in the past, and now I have a better view on how things would’ve been I have to agree on what some have said. Sure, leave the game as it is when it’s first launched. However later down the line when some things start stagnating I can easily see content such as a questline for the New Ashbringer get made for people to do when it gets to that point.

There’s a pretty cool cinematic if you go into SM Cathedral and you have a Corrupted Ashbringer. That was the only “lore” bonus I think the weapon had and considering no other weapon could do that, made it unique in that sense atleast.

3 Likes