The Animal Companion Talent is horribly bugged

Just a reminder to submit tickets if you are also facing this bug. In case you’re unaware, the very first BM hunter talent, Animal Companion, is supposed to summon a second pet alongside your main one. The bug comes from the summon times, which instead of coinciding with your main pet (like Hati almost did, usually, or at least it tried to) the second pet takes anywhere from five seconds, up to twenty-plus seconds before summoning, no exaggeration. This is a huge loss to DPS, especially if it loses out on Bestial Wrath.

Just as it was with Explosive Shot before, I’m honestly baffled how such a major bug has gone unfixed for so long. It has been persistent for me for weeks (months?) now. I only noticed it since I started maining BM, as I had to finally give up on MM, another story. I don’t remember Hati being nearly this bad, at least as consistently, in Legion. Who knows who long its been going on?

9 Likes

The talent in general needs help
it’s a massive DPS loss currently because it lowers bite damage, EVEN THOUGH THE 2ND PET DOESN’T CAST BITE? like… what is this logic?
I know they don’t wanna force BM to use 2 pets again, but you could at least try, blizzard.

7 Likes

I wish that I could use this talent, because I actually really enjoyed the “Beast Cannon” playstyle in Legion of having 2 pets and then summoning a 3rd with Dire Beast, but you can actually feel the DPS loss and with how buggy and inconsistent it is, it’s just not worth it.

4 Likes

It’s horrible.

As you mentioned, it has a lots of bugs.

Also this talent does not help damage increasing.

I simmed my hunter to compare talent, then my dps decreased almost 9k while i choose animal companion.

Animal companion talent is one of the largest blizzzard’s trash.

2 Likes

I’ve used AC and made an OP build around it by building up Mastery and basically having each of them deal double the normal damage of a single pet.

20% increase KC/meele/Stomp but 40% decrease bite. Also decreasing beast cleave (cause of bite damage reduction)

What a Blizzard logic :smiley:

2 Likes

Question for you guys. I just started playing my BM hunter again and use this talent for fun, not a serious toon. How do I make the two pets look the same? I swapped my pet order around at a stable master but the second pet is always the same one, regardless of the order and the swap blaster I got minutes ago does nothing. Do I have to unlock Hati first or something?

It’s absurd how long this has been busted for…we are a year in to bfa. A year in and still busted, actually still waiting on my AC pet that I summoned last August…taps foot…any minute now.

4 Likes

Hey Mackenzy, if you want two identical pets out you are going to have to tame an exact replica of whatever pet you want double of (yes even the super rare ones - I went back to northrend to tame another loque when I first saw this talent). Then take whatever second pet you want out and put it in the first slot of your stable. Animal companion will pull out the first pet from your STABLE, not another pet from your call pet ability. Be warned though…the talent is a massive dps loss AND it may take upwards of 30 seconds for the second pet to appear.

Thanks Vytalz, I missed that it was the stable, not call pet. But if it’s as big a dps loss as everyone says, I’ll probably ditch it. Getting Hati is separate from it tho, right? Or is he just another pet now?

When people are talking about 20-30s delay in summoning having an effect on DPS loss etc, I don’t quite understand; wouldn’t you summon both pets way before combat…? The AC extra is an ability like Kill Command, is it? I thought you had 2 pets running with you all the time…?

1 Like

I think its because of how sometimes the 2nd pet takes a while to arrive after the first one.

Also if u have to res your pet mid fight that time it takes to spawn is a massive DPS loss, really hope they fix this talent at some point

I just compensate and excel dmg-wise by using Mastery-based stuff with AC and i do 2X what my one pet would do.

1 Like

The thing with this buggy talent is you can only summon the first pet while the other second pet is supposedly summon by itself; thus you have no control of calling or dismissing this second pet like your main one. Like people mention this buggy talent can randomly summon your second pet in 1 second or 20 second.

1 Like

Except it ISNT a DPS loss with the correct traits and gear, so please stop spreading that information. However it is very buggy. It’s not going to be fixed either.

Except the second pet doesn’t despawn when the first one dies so it isnt a DPS loss so I don’t know why you said that. You would literally have to take like 30+ seconds to rez your pet before the second one despawned.

Isn’t it dps loss talent?

Theoretically writing,

Melee: 20% increase
Kill Command: 20% increase
Stomp: 20% increase
Pet bite: 40% decrease
Beast Cleave: somewhat decrease cause of pet dite damage reduction.

I think animal companion still not helpful for dps.

1st pet still has bugs and you want them to fix 2nd pet good luck op.

1 Like

Building mastery solves that issue on some end, though AC can be buffed.