The Amani are worthy of respect

It doesn’t say as they traveled for a month, it says stuck for a month as they traveled.

So again.
A cop stopped me for five minutes as I traveled home.

This means I’m stuck for five minutes, not lost.

A blizzard stopped me for a month as I traveled home.

This means I’m stuck for a month during my travel home, not lost.

I mean, it does.

Ultimately, Dath’Remar chose to lead his people away from Tirisfal to avert violence and spare them from further calamity. He decided that they would try to make a new home in the north. There, Dath’Remar’s scouts had discovered a region rife with lush forests and powerful ley energies. Intent on reaching this land, the beleaguered Highborne struck out north and into the unknown.

False equivalence.
If a cop stops you, they literally stop you.
That’s what cops do.
You can travel in a snow storm and make no progress.
You are ‘stopped in your tracks’ because you can’t find your way out as you travel for a month.
You cannot travel for a month if a cop stops you.

Come on Irenaus. You can get this. Keep trying.

Also, as an aside, it’s amazingly hilarious that the elf player compared Dathremar and his invasion of troll land (which had already been invaded by the night elven empire) to orcs literally not knowing that night elves exist at all.
:joy:

Again, it doesn’t say they traveled for a month, it says they were stopped for a month as they traveled. The storm stopped them. Nothing about being lost.

I thought you were lying about the lost thing. But now I think that was giving you too much credit.

Peak Dunning-Kruger.

The only point I’ve made in this thread is that the elves, like the orcs, entered an uncharted forest and got shot at by natives whose presence they weren’t aware of. I should thank you for your fantastic demonstration of this bit:

This stuff you’re talking about here was before the Sundering. What Sunstrider or literally anyone knew of geopolitics or geography itself was about to become irrelevant for the next few thousand years; 80% of Old Kalimdor’s landmass fed the ocean. Even if it weren’t refuted by the canon, which it is, it’s illogical to presume the Highborne exiles docked on that alien coast with knowledge of specific forests of trolls to conquer. We know they didn’t.

… unless I’m misreading this, and you recognize that you got the facts wrong, but insist the Amani were right to jump straight to the slaughter anyway? Because that would be progress, if Zerde tier progress.

Eh, Zul’jin’s a fun minor character imo with pretty consistent characterization.

This might be a bit of a hot take, but he’s nowhere near as overrated as Arthas, WC3 Kael’thas (who might as well be his own character since that’s pretty much the only time he’s characterized like this), and Illidan, who all are mostly just riding off of their WC3 screen-time in terms of popularity.

If we’re going solely off of material made from OG WoW to now, Illidan, Kael, and debatably Arthas have all had very little added to their characters that would justify them being lauded over other characters such as Wrathion, Khadgar, or now Xal’atath.

1 Like

When I say he’s overrated I mean his accomplishments and credentials don’t really warrant his reputation as a legendary warlord. As a character he’s perfectly fine, probably one of WC2’s best.

2 Likes

I think his reputation mainly comes from being the first troll to unite the Forest Trolls under one banner, since their defeat in the Troll Wars.

2 Likes

The Amani deserve a chance to finally shine and rise. It’s so depressing seeing them continue getting the villain bat alot.

3 Likes

I talked to one of the WC3 devs and asked for his opinion Amani/Belf conflict, and what the intent was when it was written. Got some interesting answers!

• The conflict was always meant to be two-sided, with both parties having good and bad qualities. Both were always meant to be native inhabitants of the forest (remember, night elves came later) and had an equal claim to the land.

• The Amani started the conflict by attacking first, out of a desire to gain more territory and control. The Elves responded disproportionately, using the conflict to expand their own turf and take over a sacred site for them.

• Not every forest troll follows Zul’Jin or the Amani, and not all of them hate the Horde. The Witherbark have been a part of the Horde since vanilla.

• Elves and trolls are basically the same species, as revealed in the War of the Ancients lore: Night Elves descended from Dark Trolls who interacted with the Well of Eternity.

The Revantusk tribe have been a part of the Horde since vanilla.

5 Likes

yeah sorry, I think I got them confused.

The elementals are the true indigenous beings of azeroth, but as far as mortal races go trolls are one of the oldest. Since their true origins are still in question I wonder if maybe the HOTS lore is right and the trolls are elementals.

Threads like this just remind me how Midnight does need a zone dedicated to the Amani and you know finally kinda settling the whole age old problem with them and the Elves.

Now will people like how that may turn out? Probably not because it’d involve the Amani admitting that maybe trying to genocide an entire group of twice wasn’t the best play in the grand scheme of things.

It’d also involve the Elves maybe admitting that they kinda OVERREACTED on basically gobbling all their resources and land to further their resentment of them instead of working out a solution (Not that I think the Amani at the time would’ve actually taken such a deal, they were very much caught up in the idea of being a ‘powerful empire’ still even in TBC.)

Their worthy of respect in the sense that they are probably one of the few troll groups that still has a chance of actually recovering especially when compared to the Dark Trolls (all killed off because silliness.) and the Sand Trolls (very dead.)

They didn’t though. The elves settled on like maybe 10% of the total land the Amani ruled over. It was the humans of Lordaeron who took over the vast majority of the Amani land.

But for some reason it’s just constantly hammering out the elves vs. trolls over and over again.

Amani deserve nothing but the very best from the story and I hope we can finally play as them since the Revantusk are too small to be a serious faction.