The Amani are NOT the good guys

It’s a pipe dream to hope the narrarive actually tackles racism. Instead it’s just the big elephant in the room expansion after expansion.

3 Likes

People dislike many things for a wide variety of reasons.

Sorry, not sure I am following your point.

Says the dude who just posted the Elf massacre video.

I don’t know why it’d be cringe in a historical context.

3 Likes

There was no point. Just an observation I made about the fandom as a whole.

I mean yeah the Aylieds were demon worshipping slavers who tortured humans for sport.

Hence why the gods sent the Terminator. And even then he was letting 'em off easy until they killed his hoplite bf. Shouldn’t have done that.

That is because you are cringe

Damn, i didn’t realize that you got to decide who we were. I also love how quick you are to turn this into an insult-flinging fest.

1 Like

What’s your point? You play a Forsaken yourself, a cruel genocidal undead race. That’s what you love. That’s what I love. But unlike you I don’t pretend the stupid green hulks who massacred every Elf they came across deserve any form of vindication just because they’re ugly and lost 3 times.

1 Like

Agreed. Usually when people murder refugees and take trophies, it is less overt.

2 Likes

Irenaus says colonialism is based. More at 11.

… How is that him saying ‘colonialism is based?’

1 Like

Oh please the Forsaken have the lowest body count in this game. They pop 'em right back up with a free goth makeover.

I hate it here…

2 Likes

I actually wished the Blood Elves were the brutal colonizers people want to paint them as. Like the Dark Eldar. Completely unapologetic. Make decoration out of Troll skulls? Rugs? Blankets, or even music intruments? Be my guest. Instead, they only fought when the Amani were acting up, never disposing of them completely. Then they had their emo episode (but not really) that made me fall in love with them, before they found God and became even more boring than when they were High Elves. I feel like Blizzard really wants to make the Blood Elves completely unenjoyable.

2 Likes

I’ll say whatever I have to if it means I get to kill more trolls.

2 Likes

Honestly, and i’m aware that this is a bit of an unpopular opinion: i don’t entirely dislike the direction the Belves are heading in now. Though, they should still retain some or bring back some of the elements that people liked in TBC.

example - reviving the Sunfury Army and it’s various branches (Crimson Hand as part of the Royal Guard, Firewing as part of the Magisterium, etc etc), and building up a new Blood Knight character to embody the old TBC grindset of “Force the Light to our will to use it as a tool and weapon and nothing more or less”, rather than having Liadrin and the majority of the Blood Knight Order remain static in their TBC mentality.

Shouldn’t be treated as a political instability / civil war thing amongst the Belves, though.

1 Like

Yeah I do find it odd how we don’t really have any Dark Elves in WoW. I really thought the Velves were going to be the ticket seeing as they’re all one bad dream away from going full Cthulu Fhtagen. But alas like every other Alliance race they seem doomed to be back up dancers for the humans, in between brief asides to watch a dwarf burp or a Nelf get the ish kicked out’ve them.

I really liked the idea from Hearthstone to involve the Felblood Elves more in the story, and to give them a Demon Hunter as a leader. Other than that: Yeah, the Blood Knights could become so much more than what they’re now.

I really hoped the Nightborne would become the WoW version of D&D Dark Elves, since they even had driders (Fal’dorei). Now they’re a little bit better than Blood Elves (no Light worship), but aren’t that different either.

I feel like that is the general problem with Warcraft.

The entire world is super problematic. There really are no -good guys-. Which would make sense, it originated as a Warhammer knock off before it came fully into it’s own. War is so commonplace, every culture is a military culture in some form. And the morals of war get tricky.

“Kills 100 now, save 1,000 later” - “Be so brutal and merciless that you make it a 1 year war instead of a 10 year war”

But Blizzard doesn’t show it like that. Everyone is their own good guy. Which is probably a big reason that faction-based flame wars occurs in the forums. It’s not that we have a difference of opinion as much as it is that we have been told two totally different stories. Every narrator is unreliable.

I feel like Warcraft would benefit a lot from just leaning into the issues their lore presents. The Alliance being human imperialist. The Night Elves being Matriarchal and as comfortable with violence as any wild animal would be. The Blood Elves using humanity as a meat shield and blunt instrument against the Amani in the years of the Troll Wars and even in WC2. Completely self serving to catastrophic ends. The Forsaken’s twisted ambitions and redefinition of what “life” is. Callous and unfeeling with the loss of life, yet also sentimental, attached to things, places and even people to the point of perverting them, wanting to keep them around forever. Perhaps the only thing worse than undeath is being alone with it.

There is a lot that can be done if Blizzard can just stop trying to make every playable race as morally palatable as possible. In a setting like Azeroth, where every questing experience involves the mass slaughtering of -someone- it doesn’t make sense to get all bent out of shape about… anything, really.

The problem with something like, the Burning of Teldrassil, for example, is the complete lack of payoff. If Blizz is going to punch us in the gut like that, then we deserve our own shot. I never asked for the moral high ground, I asked for feeling like the race I play is powerful for ONCE.

4 Likes