The Amani are NOT the good guys

Irrelevant, it just problematizes the assumption that it would have been easy.

1 Like

Wouldn’t it have been easy ? The importance of the withdrawal/addiction thing in their departure sounds a bit exaggerated, since the Exile of the High Elves happened 7 300 years before DP, which means they lived more than 2000 years without arcane. From what I understood it is mainly for political and philosophical reasons that the Highborne wanted to keep using arcane magic (nonsense about it being their birthright and stuff).

If that was pretty much all there was to it indeed, then I’d say it would have been easy, yes

5 Likes

The issue that I have, honestly, is that people are interpreting the lore, but then make claims that aren’t supported (for example, claims of genocide against the trolls, which have no support in official lore) and insist, often to the point of being argumentative, that this is ‘how it is’ when there’s no proof supporting it.

And that’s an issue, because personal headcanon interpretations are not canon lore.

Could there have been mass genocides against the Trolls? It’s certainly possible. It’s a possible theory. But that’s all it is. A theory. There’s nothing supporting it. The best evidence that can be gathered is a map, that is very, very sparse on details and only shows major cities of the Troll Empire and the territory they once controlled at the peak of their power. That’s it.

5 Likes

“If it was under the facts and conditions I made up in my head, it would have been easy, yes”

Yeah, but I guess my issue is, like most authors, whether it’s for a MMO or a novel, not every single detail is going to be explicitly stated and or spelled out. We’re meant to interpret certain things from the little info we have on certain events.

The Kaldorei expansionism and the Amani situation are such events. That’s just me though :dracthyr_heart:

But I’m honestly tired of talking about this, it’s clear everyone here has already picked a side on the matter and nobody looks like they want to budge or at least consider the other options.

Sure, I get that, and I’m all for people having their theories and interpretations.

We have had our disagreements, but no hard feelings yeah? I’m just focusing on what’s canon.

4 Likes

Not at all. I like you, you’re pretty smart and know your stuff. We golden in my book :dracthyr_heart:

2 Likes

What ? Not making anything up. This is what I understand from reading Wowpedia :

7,300 years ago, in the centuries following the Sundering, relations between the Highborne and the rest of the night elves were strained. The Highborne’s abuse of arcane magic had led to the Burning Legion’s invasion and the shattering of ancient Kalimdor. Countless night elves had been killed by the demons. Thus, arcane magic was now a crime punishable by death. Regardless, Dath’Remar and the rest of the Highborne continued practicing their sorcery. As the highest caste of ancient night elf society, the Highborne had studied arcane magic for more than a thousand years before Queen Azshara came to the throne. Most other night elves had significantly less knowledge and skill at manipulating arcane energies. The Highborne had no intention of surrendering the magic they saw as their birthright. They felt that the lower-caste majority had neither the right nor the ability to judge the safety of arcane magic. Nor were the Highborne the only ones to maintain that arcane magic was worth pursuing.

The Highborne soon grew bold in defying the new laws against arcane magic. They would not bow to the hysterical fears of the lower-caste majority. The Highborne felt they had taken all the necessary precautions by resolving to be more cautious than their predecessors. After all, the Highborne had no desire to bring about another Sundering. Rather than execute the Highborne, the rest of the night elves sentenced them to exile after they had unleashed a terrible magical storm over Ashenvale. The Highborne were thoroughly exasperated by what they saw as a foolish overreaction against sorcery. They were therefore not unhappy at the prospect of exile; on the contrary, they looked forward to it.

3 Likes

This is wholesome.

1 Like

“If group x just simply didn’t hold such and such views with such and such interests, there would be no conflict. Yes, i’m very intelligent”

Hugs We all need to be less hostile to each other as hard as it is sometimes :dracthyr_heart:

4 Likes

“Aight let’s colonize another inhabited continent just so we can keep applying the views that just broke the world into freaking pieces. We’re the good guys btw”

8 Likes

“The usage of robots lead to a series of catastrophic events where a mega mech robot destroyed half the globe. An anti-Robo faction rose to power and banned the usage of any and all electricity. A bunch of former electricians and engineers who saw the good side of automation, electric heating and video games rebelled and got banished. On a foreign land they knew nothing about they were forced to defend themselves against a hostile species of vegetable people, who hated humanity for eating their kin for thousands of years.”

Yes ? Am I supposed to feel for the robot lovers here ?

4 Likes

They had different views about the usage of technology, which, in moderation, could be used for their benefits. They built a special force field, preventing robots from ever running amok again. Ofc there where the vegetable people, but they hated ALL humans, whether they used electricity or not. Yes. I can feel for the robot lovers here.

Also, notice how I especially exaggeraed the fate of the vegetable people to make them extra sympathetic.

The Amani are the good guys. Anyone who disagrees is wrong and can suck a dookie.

Damn. I sure can’t. Like zero. I sure hope that if half the planet is destroyed by electricity, we immediately and collectively give up on electricity. I even find the idea that one could consider refusing to do so in such a catastrophic scenario to be a bit worrisome, when you apply that to global warming.

But to be honest, this is something that’s completely in-line with my real world beliefs, and a subject I could go on for hours about — I’ll spare you that

3 Likes

I just think that there would be a lot of people who would take a moderate approach and just advocate for more hard rules and regulations, instead of outright abandoning what became almost second nature for thousands of years. Naturally, the eco-primitivist solution would seem as valid for people who have lost faith in humanities capability to regulate itself. Now, my point is that the philosophical gap between those people can’t be bridged that easily. Magic was pretty much the electricity of Kaldorei society. It ran everything, and living without it might have seemed impossible for Elves who didn’t know any better or were wary of the new stuff called druidism.

1 Like

I think this is an actual “morally grey” situation.

The place was, to Blood Elf eyes, abandoned and the really needed it (they were beginning to suffer the insanity that comes from magic withdrawal). Not having it put their survival in doubt. One can see how they might have felt their needs warranted not giving the land back to someone who didn’t seem to really need it.

OTOH, few people think their religious beliefs should take a back seat to others and it is common enough to regard the suffering other peoples as “their problem”. The troll reaction is in line with what a lot of peoples would do.

So you had one people who were fighting for their religious beliefs and another who felt their survival was on the line. Always a recipe for a long and bitter struggle.

The pyramids aren’t Titan pyramids. They built the zigurrat around a titan seal, but that’s still troll craft.

Humans/gnomes/dwarves were in sincere danger of re-origination by titanic design, along with everyone else. Titans do not approve of the curse of flesh, and do not accept humans/dwarves/gnomes as their progeny.

2 Likes