The alternative to sharding: Patience

Then what solution do you suggest that will actually help?

8.2 brings flying

Just go off their current schedule, 8.2 won’t be any later than May at the latest, about 77 days i think is the best estimate.

True, though we should have a better idea of Classics state this month, as I would hope for a progress update by the end, or least next month.

As I said, there is no reason they cannot use multiple “solutions”.

Many suggestions ahve been made in this thread and other sharding threads.

Blizzard could try using a combination of those suggestions. Maybe they can even reduce the load on the servers enough that short queues might be necessary, but sharing would not be necessary. Who knows?

For someone who claims they are not dead set on seeing the totally anithtetical to vanilla technology of sharding used in Classic, you seem to be awfully opposed to any suggestion that would help alleviate or reduce that initial rush.

Ok I see where you lost me, talking about player sources, there is 2 basically, current players and non players(though this is made up of a few sub groups), and non players are by far the much larger group.

Crossover? oh yah for sure.

Yah they picked a bad expac for that, its a lot more involved since they removed or nerfed greatly passive gold income.

To be fair, the patch idea would have an effect, large enough to make a huge difference would be debatable though, but it would have an effect.

lol that quote is getting a bit unweidly

permanent sharding can go away. permanently.

1 Like

Can you articulate those other solutions?

I have named some. Dynamic spawns, shared tags, lots of realms with later mergers. Are those better than sharding?

That would be my expectation, as well. We do not know what 8.3 will bring, though.

but its completely okay to inconvenience those who just want classic to be classic. funny how we have to cater to tourists instead of catering to those who want classic to be authentic.

the last raid, and BOATS!

You can go back and read them at your leisure.

For someone who claims they are not dead set on seeing the totally anithtetical to vanilla technology of sharding used in Classic, you seem to be awfully opposed to any suggestion that would help alleviate or reduce that initial rush.

Boats could have almost as much of a draw as flying, and maybe even more if a draw.

has nothing to do with authentic anything or catering to anyone, my concern was its effectiveness.

And tourists are going to come from everywhere.

and you can’t think of anything that would help have more then a marginal impact besides the worst solution possible?

1 Like

well here’s the problem - that solution makes those who actually want classic suffer. why should those who want classic have to suffer because the tourists?

1 Like

Mat, buddy, look up at this very topic, the CE box with early access would have an effect on everyone, which will do more to help than anything. and where did you get the idea I though sharding was the best and only solution?

still not fair to those who just want classic though. they have to suffer through crap like sharding. which isn’t fair to them at all.

1 Like

Nah not really. I would prefer no sharding. But even if they sharded for the first few weeks in the starter areas like they said; it wouldnt have any long term effect on the servers and Classic would be just fine.

To be honest, the funny thing is the people on this board are so bored that you all will claim any and every minor thing will RUIN DA GAME!

Its really not that big of a deal. If they sharded the starter zones for the first few weeks, by the end of year 1 people wouldn’t even remember it. Would be far too busy working on their raid progression or whatever.

the fact that you routinely argue against any other option?

1 Like

Well you can also go back and read the objections to those suggestions that have also already been made :slight_smile: