The 33% Defense Nerf

First of all, it’s a warrior in T3.

SECOND…you tried to claim Patchwerk was a bad example because crit wasn’t possible.

Did you forget he doesn’t only use hateful?

I lol’d at your failure.

2 Likes

Why don’t you show the uncropped image then?

When did I say Patchwerk was a bad example? I’m saying he’s not critting your tanks for 12k in any way shape or form because his regular, non frenzied, attacks should be hitting you for about 2k in tier 3 in your case

I’ll wait for the uncropped image, bud.

wowwiki.fandom .com/wiki/Patchwerk_(original)

says otherwise. Not knowing the armor you’re wearing in that test image, or the tuning veracity of the server you tested, I can’t say how accurate that 16K you just posted is. That said, it looks like you tested w/ close to 0 armor rating, which leads to the following post-mit hit:

~16k unmitigated hit
~70% mitigation in T3 gear
Leads to ~5k post-mit crit, or 2.5k post-mit hit, which is exactly in the range of what WoW-Wiki said patchwerk’s melee hits should be. If you’re dying to a 5k crit your healers should be sent out on a boat in the pacific and sank.

1 Like

Confirmed troll. Flag and move on, folks.

Back to the topic on hand. How do you guys think that the 1.7 defense nerf is going to affect 1.1-1.6 content, and whether or not there should be measures taken to fix any unintended changes?

Moving the goal post are we?

I don’t work for you, and I don’t take orders.

You were WRONG simple as that and I provided proof of that. Where is your proof that tanks get hit for 2k(LOL) by patchwerk?

Awaiting the image.

Edit: Ohh and it’s mathematically impossible to get hit for 2k from Patchwerk. You can’t reach that level of damage reduction.

2.5kish would be the lowest.

1 Like

Try posting on an alt in the future so I can’t see that you’re affiliated with this train wreck.

You didn’t provide anything. Sorry kiddo.

Ohh you want proof of your ignorance again, you must have missed it the first time?

Here ya go!

i.imgur .com/jo3Crla.png

1 Like

Waiting on the uncropped image.

So what you’re saying is that 2.5k would be the lowest, which is what you should be having with a tank in tier 3 with inspiration/ancestral stacked with greater SS pots…how does 2.5k get multiplied to 12k again?

Looking at it, 2K is definitely possible reverse-engineering from your posted #s. 17k crit becomes an 8.5k hit.
8.5k hit * 73% armor (not even capped) --> 2295 hit.
At that point you only need ~300 block value to get a 2k hit. If armor is higher you need even less.

No inspiration, no SS and no shield.

1 moment while I provide you with armor and laugh at you.

That math is flawed. You are assuming the 17k crit is with the player have 0 armor which is not the case. Because you then apply the 73% armor reduction.

I can tell you for sure that we absolutely didn’t have tanks taking 7k+ normal melee hits from patchwerk, nor does that number look like what geared tanks take on Naxxramas videos. Simply put, the number you posted is not from a realistic mitigation setup that a tank would wear on Patchwerk. Trying to masquerade it as anything otherwise is disingenuous.

To put it simply, the bosses dont crit for that much. At least on a warrior under normal circumstances (obviously insta gib mechanics are gonna insta gib, but a standard melee attack won’t crit that high).

I’m not. I was never asked what my defense was until I was level 70, so unless you can dig up some forum posts or YouTube videos from '06 that talks about how important it is to reach defense cap I stand by lived experience.

Defense cap is not a necessity. It is a tool among many other tools to give certain raid comps a crutch during the learning phase.

Good guilds with experienced players with equally experienced and good tanks and healers will communicate periods or situations where there are large volumes of tank damage.

A scenario where a defense cap would help would be as evidenced above, Magmadar, Golemagg, Broodlord, and other hard hitters.

How do you suppose tanks do on Ragnaros without a defense cap or large volumes of fire resist? What are the positives and drawbacks to gearing either way?

There are certain benchmarks when you are raiding to aspire to.

I’d much rather have a hit-capped tank Horde-side than a defense-capped one. Allowing my DPS to stretch their legs would benefit the healers spending additional mana between shield block and cooldowns because bosses would die faster.

It really comes down to your raid comp and the people playing, but I’ve always personally found a hard 440 and hit-capping together being extremely difficult in earlier progression. I found a balance of 4-5 with a defense cap and immediately sacrificed the cap when I acquired the better tier pieces.

Druid tanks don’t operate around defense either. Their toolkit is entirely dependant on their armor and health value.

What people forget are debuffs. Having 1 Warrior spec into improved demoralizing shout and keeping it up instead of taking Unbridled Wrath will pay massive dividends.

Cstrike/Baron touched on this in one his videos. You can see large percentages of difference when it isn’t up versus when it is. Thunder Clap helps as well.

Patchwerk also is not hitting you for 12k. I’ve tanked him over 100 times over the last 3 or so years and I’ve yet to see that.

cmon blizz even if you don’t fix any other itemization, I don’t see how you get an authentic MC/BWL experience without reverting defense nerfs.

Not trying to be difficult, but you tanked a boss that’s inspired by patchwerk.

Here’s a log of a Naxx clear:

legacyplayers. com/Raids/Viewer/Default.aspx?id=28873&exp=0&upl=45169

Things to note:

Average tank hit: ~2.4k (not 7k+)
Crits: 3 of them, 3.7k average

Note: not def capped because he got crit. Simply put, if you don’t need def cap on the hardest hitting boss in Vanilla, you don’t need it for every normal boss. Also note that this matches existing (real) vanilla documentation of patchwerk’s hits, unlike your “data”.

Also, I can’t see your buffs. If your tank in Naxx isn’t at least showing up with stoneshield potions & other mitigation consumes, you should drop them like a rock.

Anddddd checkmate.

i.imgur .com/amiqrHl.png

Now provide YOUR proof that Patchwerk cannot crit and hits for 2k.

Jesus, all this private server “numbers” is laughable.

Vanilla screen shots or get off.

2 Likes

http://guildwarsmovies.com/movieview.php?id=29420
if you want to watch a tank pov from 2006 and compare.

http://i.imgur.com/akynMrn.png

Which one should I believe? What’s with you and posting cropped images by the way? Is it possible there’s something misleading going on with your private server repack?
https://wowwiki.fandom.com/wiki/Patchwerk_(original)
“Patchwerk’s Hateful Strikes can never crit”

You seem to be confused kiddo. You seem to believe that Patchwerk has no other attack but Hateful Strike.

Again, Patchwerk CAN crit. No one mentioned Hateful Strike until you did.

Another win for Nekrage.

It’s been a good debate, sorry about the loss you accrued.