The 10.1.5 Warlock Questline was pretty silly

After reading much praise about the new warlock questline, I finally decided to check it out myself. I thought it was supposed to provide a proper narrative justification for unusual warlock races, especially Lightforged warlocks. But oh boy, was I disappointed. Although it introduces a bunch of new warlock characters, it accomplishes the opposite: a narrative justification for not becoming a warlock. As it turns out, the warlock trainer was actually a dreadlord in disguise and kills more than half of the initiates. Oman, the hesitant Lightforged initiate, raised to believe in the Light and mistrust demons (a cultural skepticism that ends up saving his life), sees how his worst fears come true. Everything reinforces his old beliefs, but he decides to carry on regardless. Apparently, Blizzard’s lore justification is that all warlocks are a bit insane, no matter the race.

11 Likes

Well yea, you’re not going to parley with demons withought being a little strange

9 Likes

The confusing thing about Oman is that he’s also portrayed as the only sane guy in the group. Everything ends in a complete and utter catastrophe for him, and now he considers teaching other Draenei about fel magic. It’s not very psychologically plausible- maybe he’s a Dreadlord too, who knows.

6 Likes

All Oman seems to have learned is that Warlocks can only trust themselves.

He says he might teach other Lightforged Draenei or he might not. He of course is addicted to Fel as one might expect from drinking it for Fel is addicting.

He also believes that you have to beat the Demons into submission and figure out a way to bind them on one’s own power not by begging from others like he and the others did from “Madame Shadow” AKA Lord Banehollow. Only the strongest may become a Warlock in otherwords.

One can be sure he will be experimenting on Fel to figure out what works and what doesn’t rather than asking others.

Sargeras while possessing Medivh(clearly in the Post War of the Ancients Trilogy Timeline as the Chronicle Vol.2 says the original Timeline has Medivh in control except during his fight with Aegwynn and in the final battle) described the asking of Demons for power in terms of “No matter how learned and knowledgeable, how wise and wonderful, how powerful and puissant, there is always one more sliver of power, one more bit of knowledge, one more secret to be learned by any mage” while describing it as a trap.

Sargeras of all people knows of the dangers of trusting others for acquiring secrets as he exploited it when assassinating the Council of Tirisfal. Arrexis decided to replicate the Warding Spells of Karazhan and Sargeras in the form of Medivh taught him Warding Magic which turned out to be a Portal Spell to the Twisting Nether where an army of Demons waited in ambush.

Yes. Sargeras pulled off the same trick as Lord Banehollow though in a way that appealed to Mages trying to stop Demons not Warlocks trying to summon them.

Furthermore I’m sure he did the same thing multiple times on smaller scales and made certain he was personally watching the procedure so that both he and the newly arrived Demon could kill the accidental summoners(who thought they were practicing warding Magic not summoning Magic) on the Council of Tirisfal.

Sargeras as Medivh made a point to point out to Khadgar that a piece of straw can break any wards or abjurations a summoner could perform(his statement would later turn into a secret gloat that his own genuine Anti-Demon Wards could not save Khadgar from him) though I’m sure the Magi he assassinated didn’t include actual wards or abjurations as they didn’t even know they were summoning Demons.

If any of the Council of Tirisfal wanted to summon Demons they would have gone to Korrigan the Librarian of Dalaran as he was known to his assistants to have knowledge about Demons though obviously keeps the summoning rituals out of said assistants’ untrained hands.

Because they wanted to keep Demons out of Azeroth they instead went to the guy who had Wards to protect against Demons coming in on their own and surprise surprise he ended up being a Warlock like the Librarian and backstabbed them. In hindsight they would have been better off going to the known Warlock(I.E. Korrigan the Librarian) instead since he always had eyes of Dalaran trained on him unlike Medivh.

Basically any mysterious Mentor one knows little about could be secretly teaching you to summon Demons(or some other malevolent entities) without the proper protections so you must have preparations made incase your Mentor turns out to be a backstabber.

Oman and the other Survivors of Lord Banehollow had to learn that lesson just as Khadgar who survived Sargeras possessing Medivh did.

9 Likes

Wait there was a Dreadlord in the Warlock quest and no one is talking about that?!

Which Dreadlord? can you tell me more?

I have to compliment you, that was a very thoughtful response. Beating demons into submission instead of being passive is also fully in line with the warlock class quests in Vanilla. My only criticism is that Oman’s success relied on trusting the player character- another complete stranger from his perspective. So the logical conclusion, in my opinion, would have been that he survived by sheer luck and a healthy amount of mistrust- because he’s a Draenei, a race hunted down by demons for millennia. When he finally decided to fight Lord Banehollow while shouting “For the Xenedar!”, I expected him to reject fel magic.

1 Like

It was lord banehollow, the dreadlord from classic

7 Likes

I’m really upset that he didn’t recognize me :dracthyr_cry:

5 Likes

Lord Banehollow judging from the dialogue is the owner of Darkmoon Isle. He is the one that Silas Darkmoon made deals with to host the Darkmoon Faire on the Island for one Week of every Month.

Darkmoon Isle might be another branch of Revendreth for all we know.

Uhhh yeah?

1 Like

I mean, my lady here is insane… But the questline was a bit weak to represent Warlocks… being a Warlock isn’t truly justifiable, that’s why I like classic, the trainer’s recognized the manipulative beings they were training, and you had to fight your voidwalker to summon him and so on.
But, I guess claiming and such is a bit taboo nowadays in a game leaning toward inclusivity and representation. And it is a bizarre subject…

I dono what else to say, Fel is evil and Light is good.

An interesting angle for future Lightforged Warlocks could be seen with many fan theories around Lothraxion and Illidan’s potential fate by Xe’ra. That being demons being infused and controlled by light, or somehow “tamed” their fel energies. I suppose some kinda enslavement, how demons and vodi are capable of corrupting or coersing others via curses, bindings or mindcontrol.

I’ve refuted that fan theory so many times, I’m just going to say;

1. The fact that Lightforged can still use fel undermines Illidan’s objection as this quest proves he’d still be able to tap into Fel if he’d been Lightforged.
  2. I’ll also leave this here;

His objection stemmed from being forced into this. He did not want to be the puppet of a cosmic force.

11 Likes

How was he forced into something if he didn’t object beforehand? Illidan’s goal and Xe’ra’s prophecy were already the same - Illidan ends the Burning Legion - so there was no puppeteering. Otherwise, Xe’ra trying to moderate a loose cannon like Illidan isn’t exactly villain territory…

If you’re calling the forced Lightforging puppeteering (you’re not the first, so I’ll say here we go again), I’ve already addressed that here;

If a Lightforged Draenei who’s served in the Army of the Light for millennia can use Fel, Lightforing wouldn’t have stopped Illidan from getting his fel crack back. This whole premise of Lightforged warlocks raises plot holes.

No it doesn’t. It is perfectly explained in the lore.

Some people have a hard time understanding the lore because they blind themselves- either through head canon or IRL religious dogma that doesn’t allow them to comprehend lore that any child can grasp.

Um, he is objecting to Xera’s unwanted advances the whole time she is forcing herself on him.

You can plainly see that in the cinematic.

He never agreed to being Lightforged and turned it down repeatedly as she offered, but she kept going. She refused to take no for an answer. So he defended himself.

10 Likes

Oh, man, that’s wild.

(See what I did there?)

Fel and Light are not direct inverts, so they can technically cohabitate for at least a short time with each other. They are still from opposite “teams” so to speak—Team Structure vs. Team Change—so they don’t get along very long, but Warlocks do not usually permanently absorb fel energy into themselves—They channel it as they cast spells just as a mage does ley energy, so it is not there long enough to react in any negative fashion. Demon hunters are a different story. They trap a demon inside themselves and are at risk of literally exploding at any moment from the amount of fel they are containing to fuel their transformation techniques.

So, a Lightforged being a warlock is a lot more sensible than a demon hunter like Illidan being lightbound into the champion of Xe’ra. The fel and light within him would not of tangoed for long, and one would of had to of gone.

2 Likes

Also, Paladin spells like “Turn evil” and “Exorcism” used to mean something :dracthyr_lulmao: