Thank you for backtracking on the "Purge Squads" Blizzard

I don’t know if it was the fact people pointed out they went against the general theme of the Alliance, the fact the Alliance story you wrote for the Vol’dun Incursion contradicted the Purge Squads, or the general outrage on the forums, but thank you for removing all references to the Purge Squads before the Incursions went live.

For anyone who didn’t pay attention to the Horde side of the Vol’dun Incursion today compared to the PTR:

The Purge Squad NPCs have been renamed to “7th Legion Despoiler” and “7th Legion Incinerator” and the NPCs that referred to the Alliance Purge Squads now simply call them “The Alliance.” Nisha still compares the Alliance to the Sethrak, but is no longer so bloodthirsty about it. (Which may have been a bit TOO much censorship, considering the Alliance did burn their camps and currently have Vulpera in chains and tied up) But the Purge Squads were way too much.

10 Likes

Glad a basic rename helps you so much despite the fact that their acts of crappiness are still the exact same. But I guess a name change makes you less evil.

52 Likes

I’ve been reading the quest text during the War Campaign and I still couldn’t find any rhyme or reason as to why the Alliance are attacking the Vulpera at all.

Does anyone here know why? I haven’t done the new incursion yet.

6 Likes

Nisha’s explanation is the Alliance asked the Vulpera to stop trading with the Horde, the Vulpera said no.

14 Likes

But we want to be morally grey/gray too!

5 Likes

It’s interesting that Alliance players don’t ever get to see this interaction.

I mean, not that it even makes sense. The Vulpera aren’t exactly a rich faction, so what if the Horde wants to buy some furs?

1 Like

Its all about that faction branding :wink:

11 Likes

This thread highlights exactly what is wrong with the Alliance and how it will never be as interesting as the Horde.

Tired of being in the narrative backseat Alliance players? You’re going to have to get your hands dirty. Otherwise, I suppose you can just enjoy the ride courtesy of the Horde’s narrative which isn’t lame and boring.

23 Likes

I found it more ironically stupid then anything else. The Draenei were victims of a genocidal purge on Draenor and fled, which is what led them to crash on Azeroth anyways. To see a Draenei running around exterminating all the Vulpera in the original content before the changes seemed well completely out of place.

I’m not saying they shouldn’t utterly wipe out the Vulpera, it’s just the Alliance isn’t known for that in the first place. Even at the end of the second war, they pitied the Orcs and spared them.

5 Likes

So you can’t think of any real life example of hypocrisy? Say… one group of people that may have been historically persecuted or discriminated against that are now persecuting or discriminating against another group of people in turn?

This is why Alliance can’t be morally gray… too many of you guys deal too much in absolutes. You’re either all good, or all evil.

7 Likes

In Christie Golden’s latest book, Anduin was painted as an altruistic paragon of peace.

I’d be willing to accept the Alliance committing treacherous acts of war, but it would involve justification.

If Anduin is on board with it, there was some character development there and I want to know about it.

If he wasn’t, who went against his wishes? There’s some intrigue there I want to know about.

Alliance becoming genocidal maniacs overnight due to “I don’t know, supplies I guess?” just feels lazy.

Also this ^^, why is this not okay when we’re fine with our new BFFs Tortollans hanging out with the Hordies on the side?

18 Likes

Alliance should purge Tortollan in 8.2, those turtles is running around and trading stuff in Dazar’Alor, cant have that.

3 Likes

Again my issue was more the draenei doing it. If you want a real life example it’d be like if there was another holocaust only with the roles reversed. Is that concept too hard to understand?

The Dranei fled Genocide on Draenor. and then in the original version of the the Vulpera purge they’re committing Genocide.

Last time I checked it’s been 70 years and the jews haven’t gone around systematically wiping out the germans. China hasn’t gotten revenge on japan for their atrocities in world war 2. Do you want more examples buddy?

1 Like

The Vulpera give the Horde safe passage through Vol’dun, supplies when they need it, etc. but don’t offer the same to the Alliance.

The Tortollan offer a truly neutral stance, they allow both factions passage through their settlements, respite in their houses, supplies if properly given payment, etc.

And the issue with the purge squads and not with what we got now was the fact the idea behind the purge squads is they were created with the intent entirely just to wipe out the vulpera.

What we have now are 7th legion soldiers deployed to stop the Horde, and just happen to encounter Vulpera, who have violated the request to stop aiding the Horde, and are considered enemies of the Alliance now. They were not dispatched specifically to kill the Vulpera, because that makes ZERO sense.

What’s wrong with Draenei doing it, they’ve been burning Mag’har homeland after Mag’har believed peace could be achieved?

You guys do realize these digital creatures are all ones and zeros? no real foxes are being harmed here?

2 Likes

Discussing a video game story on a video game forum?

Yeah I think we’re aware. Thanks.

19 Likes

Pretty sure they have a forum for that though?

You do know that’s through the Naaru’s bidding, and that’s a complete different type of Draenei. Those are the Lightbound, or did you not pay attention to the scenario at all? Alternate Draenor is falling apart, and the Lightbound hold the Mag’har responsible.

Every time they try to make the Alliance “evil” or even “morally grey” it comes off as awkward and forced. While the Horde can pull off both sides of the moral coin, the Alliance never feels like it fits the “villain” mold.

Maybe it was the tone set by Marshal “My Hands Go Oink” Garithos, but at no point has Blizzard really successfully made the Alliance out to be a believable, coherent “villain” in any instance.

3 Likes