Tempest of the Lightbringer needs a downgrade

I “main” a ret paladin. Meaning I consider that my main but I don’t do much group content (M+) anymore because it is so hard to get an invite.

Playing prot now and I’ve noticed almost always when I pug a ret they wind up pulling extra stuff because of the legendary. After talking to others I’ve heard similar complaints and that people don’t invite rets anymore for this reason.

The range is just too far. It would be so much better if it were dialed back some, to say 10 yards (or less even). This would technically be a downgrade, but as a whole it would be a reason for groups to consider inviting rets again.

Thoughts?

Anyone using that legendary needs to learn the range. That’s what I think. If the Paladin is pulling extra, they’re positioned wrong, as 20 yards isn’t that long, even if you’re in melee.

6 Likes

I agree, but a lot of keys have tight quarters between packs. And then there is stuff on the ground to dodge. You simply can’t trust a an unknown ret unless their score is super high

It goes through walls too, a pain in sang the first time using. Once you get it though it’s not hard to manage. I’d honestly prefer it just increased radius of divine storm by 2-3m. Not sure if intended to be dual edge sword by design??

3 Likes

I only ever have this problem in 1 dungeon, Plaguefall.
It’s a non-issue in everything else IMO

1 Like

There are plenty of paladins out there that don’t have this problem at all.

The problem is there are enough that do that it creates a stigma against inviting rets

Additionally all the 20 yard range is good for is pulling aggro from incoming mobs

hard pass on the “downgrade” lol its really a non issue 20 yds is like pretty short havent seen any of this since like when the necropolis “y” axis was bugged in necrotic wake

1 Like

Tempest should just buff the damage of Divine Storm and perhaps the radius. I cannot count how often I either pulled something through the projected DS or bodypulled because I had to reposition because I didn’t want to pull with the projectile. It is just absolutely unneccesary, no one is shooting out 20% Divine Storms to kill something, it’s just an annoying side effect. And from the top of my head I cannot think of another legendary that has a downgrade effect build in.

1 Like

Absolutely not.

Players simply need to aim the thing properly. The fact that its 20 yards is a boon, not a hinderence.

Its like Barrage 2.0 and I never thought I would see myself typing this but players need to git gud.

3 Likes

Anyone pulling extra stuff is just playing it wrong. Having it increase the radius of Divine Storm would be fine with me though. They can have the extra 20% damage blast just be the in same extended radius and not fly in front. Doesn’t really matter to me either way.

May I present you with:

Just increasing the radius would be enough, this brings up Divine Storm as a 12yards radius.

1 Like

I think its fine the way it is, I quite enjoy it on my ret paladin

I think those people with no situational awareness and lack of positioning “skill” need to be told they are doing it wrong

1 Like

Tell me exactly what is so enjoyable? The projectile is 20% of a DS which is literally nothing. Just let it increase the damage of DS by 20%, the projectile is just an unnecessary culprit.

1 Like

Slightly more dynamic gameplay instead of flat % damage increase, requires slightly more thought than mindlessly smashing DS, allows for doing some damage during down time in encounters if you have 3HP or a proc instead of doing 0 damage

If it’s an unnecessary culprit, it’s being used wrong tbh, look at your surroundings not just the pack in front of your face

1 Like

A 20% that is uncapped which makes it very valuable.
Also I don’t get how 20% increase in damage on DS can be conceived as bad.
They increased DS some week ago by 10% and the general opinion was that it was substantial even if it wasn’t quite enough to some to compensate the lackluster performance in M+.

1 Like

So once every 5 dungeons you can do an extra 1500 damage raising your overall throughput by almost over 0.01%

In that situation using divine steed to let you get your whole cast off is preferable

A ret paladin is going to handle this in 2 ways

1. They are aware of the problems and are constantly maneuvering to avoid pulling unintended mobs. This is a constant mechanic to deal with on top of dodging the rest of the mechanics

2. They are clueless and let that thing fly everywhere

I have grouped with both types, and #2 is more common in my experience.

As a result you’ll never see me invite a ret to a key I care about unless I know them or they are one of the top rets in the world

It boosts your overall dps by a significant margin in m+ not 0.01%. seriously sim or try for yourself.

You misunderstood me. They were talking about the odd time where one could do a little damage from something out of range. Yes if used flawlessly it can add the full 20% damage increase to divine storm. And a skilled ret can really maximize that. But if the range were shorter … say oh … 12 yards? then they could still get the same dps out of it without the added problems

I know you’re not asking me in particular but since this is an open forum, Im’a answer with my thoughts:

Because it looks really, REALLY cool.

And at the end of the day, that(along with the 20% uncapped modifier, is enough for me.

1 Like

It looks goofy at best and while it being uncapped is great we could have achieved that with Tempest just uncapping the ability (although the target cap should have never existed in the first place) by default. I still think a slight increase of DS radius plus the 20% damage increase would have been the best way. That said I disliked it from the start to chose between an ST and an AoE leggo.
On the other hand I don’t expact any changes now and I really don’t see Tempest being carried over into Dragonflight (in contrast to Final Verdict).