Tell me about your characters!

Hey there, fellow lore nerds. I’ve got a request. Getting people to tell me all about their characters is my absolute favorite thing to do in any roleplay setting. I love seeing all the varied and creative things people come up with. There’ve been a few threads like this here and there on various forums, but I want to throw one on here so everybody can join in. I’d love to hear about any RP characters you’ve made that you want to share, and in keeping with these sorts of threads, I’ll go first with this guy!

Mordren Haubert grew up as an orphan in Lordaeron. He never knew who his parents were, and it never seemed to matter very much. He just did what he needed to do to survive, and rarely if ever had any moral qualms about any of it. Living on the streets, he quickly graduated from picking pockets to cutting purses, and then to cutting throats. As a teenager, he was found and taken in by an ambitious noble with dreams of overthrowing the crown and taking it for himself. He taught the hardened youth the use of dark magic, intending to make him into a fanatically loyal magical enforcer. Unfortunately for him, the youth was only pretending to be loyal. He learned what he could from his mentor, then killed him and left, taking the name Mordhau because it seemed to fit his new lethal persona.

From there, he lived the life of a mercenary warlock, barely keeping himself above the law by using his dark powers against things even more despised than him, raking in money and living a life of luxury between fel-fueled killing sprees. His lack of restraint caught up to him eventually, however, and he was forced to flee into the ruins of Lordaeron after killing a soldier to fuel his magic against a particularly strong foe in the Plaguelands. There, he was infected by feral Worgen and lost himself to the mind of a beast. . . but strangely, one that could still use the full breadth of his fel magic. Some time later, a group of adventurers saw this Worgen darkcaster of particular strength and decided he might be worth something as a curiosity. They subdued him and sold him to a criminal syndicate, who in turn funneled him to the black ops division of SI:7.

There, he was fitted with magical restraining shackles that bound him to the will of a handler and had the side effect of giving him back his human mind by restraining his rampaging beast spirit. Since then, he’s been used as a living weapon, sent off to destroy the enemies of the Alliance. In time he passed from SI:7 to a neutral intelligence organization similar to the Uncrowned, but his purpose remains the same: He’s sent out to lay waste with fel magic to those that threaten the peace and security of Azeroth. Though he hates being restrained, he enjoys the work enough to not fight it too hard. But he’ll never stop trying to break free.

12 Likes

So, on this and other Pandaren Monks I have several characters I may portray. I’ll go over a couple here:

The first character made for this Monk is Zhaoyang Cloudpaw. Zhaoyang was born into a legacy of fighters, dating back to the Zandalari Wars. Her family trains Monks in Mandori on the Wandering Isle, and this too was originally to be Zhao’s vocation. Eventually Zhao’s eyesight began to fail, growing exponentially worse by the year, then the month, effecting her training and life more and more. Her eventual blindness, and the difficulty that came with it, drove her to depression, which in turn stifled her training.

Following a fateful spar with her father Zhao was inspired to once more resume her martial training. Under her mother’s tutelage, she focused her study on a single weapon, the sword, in an attempt to compensate for her disability. Outwardly she pursued work as a masseuse, finding it to be manageable and fulfilling work. When the Alliance and Horde arrived on Shin zin Su, Zhao was given the sword Yo-nara, a family heirloom, as part of a mission to learn of fate of the Cloudpaw name on Pandaria.

Years later, after years of travel and combat experience, Zhaoyang endeavored to expand her martial knowledge; seeking once more to become a full-fledged Monk. After a pilgrimage throughout Pandaria and some time with her mother and other masters between Mandori and Boralus, Zhaoyang has now finished her training; ready to inherit leadership in her family’s martial style, the Wave. Until such a time comes, she continues to wander, giving massages and collecting coin and stories in turn.

Pingyang, Zhao’s mother and current Grandmaster of the Wave Style, is also a character I sometimes portray, but there is too little about her to be worthy of sharing in a thread like this, I feel. There’s also a fair bit of lore about the Wave Style itself and the Cloudpaw Shao’din as a whole, but I digress.

Next is Liangyu. Like Zhaoyang, Liangyu comes from a lineage of fighters and especially Monks; the Wintergales, vassals of the Winterclaw Clan, a collection of shamanic assassins dedicated to the protection of Pandaria. Liangyu was raised to serve this purpose, trained in several martial styles from the famous Tiger and Crane styles to clan exclusive styles. Her practical and occupational prowess soon earned her a place among the clan’s protectors as a General, and later the favored General of Yun Winterclaw, eldest daughter of the clan’s leaders.

A few years before the lifting of the mists, the Winterclaw Clan participated in an invisible war throughout Pandaria, acting against a cabal of Mogu warlords. Liangyu participated in many battles during this conflict, contributing to what could have a swift victory in the clan’s favor. Instead, the war was ended in a single final battle, an unexpected direct attack on the Winterclaw’s home compound using the full remainder of the Mogu’s forces. This marked the mutual end of both forces, leaving only scant scattered survivors on both sides, Liangyu and Yun among them. Seeking to exact vengeance and remove the threat of the cabal for good, Liangyu and Yun launched a vendetta against the survivors among their foes. Though mostly successful, their victories soon came at a price. The anger with which they pursued their task soon led to them nearly falling to the Sha. After the incident Liangyu and Yun parted ways, with Liangyu seeking to join the Temple of the White Tiger as a priest.

After years of service to Xuen Liangyu, along with several other priests, embarked on a pilgrimage together. They now travel Azeroth on a journey of discovery, seeking to learn more about the many fighters beyond their homeland; their methods, motives and philosophies.

2 Likes

Okay that is just awesome. I had no idea people had made so much RP lore about Pandaren martial arts!

2 Likes

In regard to the styles themselves it’s mostly just historical stuff and general info, such as the aspects and types of techniques they focus on. Many of mine are derived from and/or meant to be analogous or hybrids of real-life martial systems or those from other forms of fiction. The Cloudpaw Wave Style, for example, is meant to primarily encompass elements of Aikijujutsu and Wing Chun, with elements of other systems here and there; and the familial styles Liangyu studied, Mountain Paw and Five Star Harmonious Fist, are derived from various Ansatsuken, including the style practiced by Ken and Ryu (among others) from Street Fighter and Hokuto Shinken from Fist of the North Star.

Well, since there’s all this talk about monks, I’ll go ahead and lay out my monk characters! I have quite a few.

The first, which is my overall gameplay main, is Harukeg Rivermane (Or Keg, as he prefers to be called.) Keg is a Rivermane who is the son of a powerful shaman and a great hunter. He wanted to follow in his parents’ footsteps, and it seemed like he should be able to, but he could never quite get there. He excelled at channeling spiritual energy, but he couldn’t get the spirits to talk to him reliably. He was exceptionally large and strong, even for a Highmountain Tauren, but he couldn’t aim a bow no matter how much he practiced, and he was clumsy and inelegant with spears and blades. It looked like all he’d ever be able to do was tend the farms until the Pandaren came. A Brewmaster from the Wandering Isle was touring Azeroth and had made his way to the Broken Isles. He was fascinated by Highmountain culture, and he noticed Keg because of the funny coincidence of how his name sounds in Common. They became friends and he took the young bull under his wing, training him. It turned out that the reason Keg couldn’t be a warrior or a shaman is because he was born to be a monk, and he took to it frighteningly fast. Once he was ready, he left the Broken Isles with his master to explore the world, and was a wandering adventurer for all the time since the founding of Durotar.

My second monk is Keg’s apprentice, Ortahn Stonehoof. Ortahn was born to the Ragetotem clan, but he contracted an terrible illness as an infant that stunted his growth and left him weak and sickly. His warrior parents wanted nothing to do with a child who would never be able to fight, so they gave him away for adoption to a Stonehoof woman. After the Orcs came to Kalimdor, she ended up settling in Orgrimmar, opening a simple food stand and raising her son. Ortahn grew up serving food to adventurers and desperately wishing he could be one. Then Keg came to his stand one day and saw something of himself in the young bull. He took him in and trained him, teaching him to use Chi to restart the growth of his stunted body and become what he should have been without the fever holding him back. Ortahn took to it even faster than Keg had and set out across Azeroth with two burning goals: To see all the thrilling sights and fight all the fights he’d always dreamed of, and to learn all the world’s recipes and become the greatest chef who ever lived.

2 Likes

This is just part of a story i had already typed out from before:

“My story?”, scoffed the orc. “My story is not of glory or heroism, but of Blood and death.”

A moment passes as he thinks back on his past, reluctant to speak.

“My parents were of two different tribes, rare, but mot unheard of. My father was a warrior for the Bleeding Hollow clan while my mother was a shaman for the Blackrock.”
"The first war against the humans is where they met. I was born towards the end of the second war. I remember those internment camps.
“As I grew I was taught in the shadows to honor my ancestors for they would give me the strength to fight past these humans. I didn’t believe them. Life outside this prison was a dream”
The orc chuckles as the says the words, “Then comes the Warchief and the Frostwolfs and raided the interment camps.”
"My father, trying to regain his honor after the deeds committed while consumed with the blood of demons, fought alongside them. The camps unfortunately had made him weak. While escaping my mother and I came across some soldiers that were on their way back foe a shift change at the camp. When they saw us they moved in to attack.
"Never before had I seen what power my mother was capable of. The ground opened and swallowed some of the humans, other were charred by the fires of their own torches coming to life. We didn’t see the one behind the bush. That spear came from nowhere and peirced her throat.
“I grabbed one of the fallen soldiers swords and ran it through the bush. I could hear the blade puncture his armor followed by a gasp of pain. I killed him.”
“I joined up with some more refugees and followed them back into the Alterac Mountains and the Frostwolf camp were I was just old enough to join the barracks as a grunt.”
“I was among the survivors across the sea to Kalimdor. Made friends with the Tauren. Defended against the demons.”
“By the time Warchief Thrall settled us in the lands he would call Durotar, I was also apprentice as a blacksmith.”

3 Likes

“Goblin priests don’t make sense!”

Have you seen the world we live in, friend? The dead pop up like they got their alarm clocks set, there was a gaping hole in the sky that led to the literal afterlife until about five minutes ago, and the Horde warchief used to be a walking advertisement for embalming services. Anyone who lives in our world and doesn’t believe in a higher power (aside from the invisible hand of the free market) is basically like Gnomish engineering:

You’ve got a few screws loose.

What sets apart us goblin priests is - we know contracts. And we know what happens if you sign a contract for the wrong Higher Power. Say you follow one of those loas the trolls love, but it ends up skinned and served up as the Dazar’alor Diner special. What happens when you follow the Light those humans love so much and find out it’s little more than a flickering flashlight with some Gnome-brand batteries?

The goblin hefts out a prayer book that’s clearly seen better days.

The answer is that you don’t sign an exclusive contract. You leave yourself in a state of - how should I put this - free agency?

I got prayers to the loa. I got prayers to Elune. I got a hymn here to An’she. I got some odes to those wind chime things the Draenei are into. You want a bit of the Light? Well buddy, slap some sunscreen on cuz you’re about to get all the Light you can handle.

So don’t you worry too much about how much “sense” goblin priests make and instead think about how you’re gonna pay the bill for my priest-o-digitation, ya hear?

10 Likes

For an absolutely arbitrary reason I’ve decided to keep with a theme for these. Death Knights now (with a pseudo-bonus).

We’ll start with Yun Winterclaw. As mentioned before, she was the eldest heir of the Winterclaw Clan; a group of shamanic assassins sworn to protect Pandaria and its people. As heirs, she and her sister, Zhihao, were expected to be proficient in more than the average soldier; studying the ways of diplomacy, politics and similar social pursuits in addition to martial science, stealth and subterfuge. Yun was the only one of two to take the former seriously, while Zhihao placed as much energy as she could get away with on her practical, especially martial, prowess. Soon it seemed a given that, once their parents finally passed, Yun would be the ideal leader to take their place.

Following her parting from Liangyu, Yun also took to temple life, serving Chi-ji in Krasarang. During this time, she kept tabs on what few of her old clan, and other allies, she knew of, but made no move to reunite them yet. It wasn’t until a chance meeting with a visiting Blood Elf that she once more began to act. This Blood Elf, a Warlock, taught her much about Fel and the Burning Legion. This knowledge, coupled with the then present threat of the Legion, inspired Yun to mend her old clan and lead them to protect Pandaria together once more in the most potent way possible. She gathered the survivors of the Winterclaw, and their former neighbors the Iceclaw, with a plan; to dismantle the Legion from within. With the Warlock’s aid and guidance Yun and her followers drank felblood, becoming the felsworn Dreadclaw Clan. Zhihao was among the few spared of this fate, having been thought dead at the time. She instead witnessed the ritual, and in turn became prey to twice-lost comrades.

Unfortunately for Yun, her plan of dismantling the Legion from within quickly began to fall apart. The Warlock’s guidance quickly became more insistent, outright demanding things which went against Yun’s own machinations. When it was clear Yun would not be swayed, despite her corruption, she was replaced. The Dreadclaw fractured, split between those loyal to Yun and her cause and the true felsworn agents under the puppet leadership of Guanyu Iceclaw. Yun and her loyalists struck out against their former comrades, aided by other groups fighting against them, including Zhihao, now on a vendetta against the Dreadclaw.

It was through Zhihao’s vendetta that Yun finally met her end, facing her sister high in the peaks of Neverest. Though battered and beaten from previous skirmishes, Zhihao managed to slay Yun, much to Yun’s own relief. Some time after, Zhihao gave Yun’s body to the Knights of the Ebon Blade, hoping to give her a second chance at becoming the hero she sought to be.

Yun now spends much of her time in Northrend, culling the otherwise unchecked remnants of the Scourge. When free of duties she spends time in contemplation or working to mend internal turmoil caused by her past deeds or present state.

The woman responsible for getting Yun into the Ebon Blade was Bremuleth Autumnriver, also known as Sinothyr Skyfire. Bremuleth was originally a blacksmith, working for a time in Darnassus. She was very committed to the artistry of her craft, often resulting in untimely production which in turn made her an unpopular choice to commission. Beyond her work issues she harbored an ugly habit of killing romantic partners and sometimes others. These two were the main motives that led to her eventual adventuring career, launched alongside her then recently retired Sentinel friend, Sinothyr Skyfire.

Their time together was relatively prosperous, however once their travels led them into the old lands of northern Lordaeron things began to change. For long time, Bremuleth had feelings for Sinothyr, and it was here that she decided to finally share them. The confession, particularly how it was portrayed, was disastrous and caused a falling out between the two. Sinothyr went on her way while Bremuleth, embittered and obsessed, began to stalk her, all the while being stalked by one of the local haunts of the area.

Soon Bremuleth met her stalker, a black armored knight on horseback, wielding a runeblade. The two clashed numerous times before she finally led Bremuleth to her doom; overwhelmed by an unusually large pack of ghouls. Bremuleth’s body was then recovered and brought to Acherus.

As a Death Knight Bremuleth was quite enthusiastic, reveling in the destruction and duress she wrought. She fought gleefully in the battle at Light’s Hope Chapel, where she met Sinothyr among the defenders. Sinothyr fell and under Bremuleth’s power her soul was corrupted, transforming her into her banshee servant. Once free of the Lich King’s thrall, Bremuleth came to regret what she’d done. To separate herself her past misdeeds she took Sinothyr’s name for herself.

In the ensuing years Bremuleth has grown to embrace her monstrous self, more than before. Much of her time these days is spent in Northrend, dealing with the Scourge alongside her comrades. One of her greater pass times, besides reading, entails encasing specimens of beauty in ice to be kept as works of art.

2 Likes

I ran out of room in my last post because my Draenei monk needs a whole post to himself. Here goes!

Baarulo Stonesoul began life as the child of a pair of immensely powerful Draenei mages in Shattrath. He inherited the full measure of his parents’ potential with the Arcane, and at the age of ten was already learning spellcraft to restrain the raw Arcane power spilling out of him. He never got to finish that training, though, because a reagent-finding mission to Gorgrond went bad when the family were attacked by a Genesaur. His parents managed to teleport Baarulo away as they were killed, leaving the young Draenei boy alone and lost in the Gronn-filled canyons north of the jungle. There he was found and captured by Gorian Ogres, taken to be a slave in their gladiator pits, as he was already noticeably big and strong even at so young an age.

He was put through training in order to be able to put on a good show, and this is where the young Draenei met an orc named Brograk Stonesoul. Though only a few years older than Baarulo, Brograk was already a powerful shaman of his clan before he was captured, and he was the unquestioned leader of their gladiator group. He saw the way the young Draenei instinctively used the Arcane as he fought in the training pits, and he mentored him in how to hide that power, because he knew the Gorian overlords would never tolerate a powerful mage who might be a threat to them in their entertainment slaves. Instead, he taught him to channel his Arcane power into his fists. Though the young orc had never used the Arcane himself, he understood how magical energy worked, and the Stonesoul clan were masters of elementally-enhanced unarmed combat, believing that using nothing but the elements in battle was the ultimate show of reverence for the spirits.

This strategy worked, and Baarulo learned to channel Frost and Fire through his fists, laying waste to foes in the arena. It wasn’t a perfect disguise, but he looked enough like the elemental power that Brograk was using that the ogre overlords had no reason to look more deeply. He survived his training and a further two years in the pits. Then, finally, he and his group were able to escape, and Brograk took the young Draenei home with him. The Stonesoul clan lived in Draenor’s highest mountains, far away and separated from the rest of the orcs, and theirs was a life of pure devotion to the elements, communing with the stone of the mountains and the storms around the high peaks. Though the elements had not started to speak directly to the Draenei yet, Baarulo integrated well into the orc culture, revering the spirits as devoutly as any Stonesoul and further honing how to use his Arcane power to achieve similar results to their elementally enhanced unarmed combat. Eventually he made himself an arcane focusing staff out of the sacred stone of the mountaintop, giving himself something akin to the totems that all adult Stonesouls carried, and thus became a full member of the clan and a respected adult among them.

Unfortunately, the rise of the Old Horde came shortly after this happy day. The Stonesouls refused to join them in turning on the elements, but they were unable to resist being swept away by the fel power infecting the planet as their own elemental strength waned. The tribe was left scattered and destroyed, some of them defecting to the Horde while others were killed, and the lucky few simply fled into hiding in the wilderness. Baarulo was sent back to the Draenei, as it was a home for him that was safe and uncorrupted by the Horde’s dark magics. It was difficult to fit in, but his prowess as an Arcane-fueled fighter was useful for a race being targeted for extinction, and he was able to integrate. After the Doom of Draenor, he lived with the Broken, outraged by the victim-blaming discrimination that the Draenei lucky enough to escape Shattrath unscathed leveled at their afflicted kin. When the Broken re-established ties because of their shamanism, Baarulo came back to the fold, and was with the group who ultimately ended up on Azeroth.

After the crash, a wandering Pandaren monk came to help the Draenei with healing the damage to the isles, and in time he met Baarulo and trained him in the ways of Chi, showing him how to take all the varied bits of unarmed, energy-enhanced fighting he’d learned and combine it into a deadly fighting style all his own. He channels the power of Chi and the mists to enhance his body, and then further empowers his blows with fire, frost, or raw Arcane energy. He also uses conjuration magic to produce an infinite number of brews, using focus items he’s carefully crafted to be able to summon the exact brew he needs when he needs it. Armed with this power, he’s spent all the time since arriving on Azeroth fighting to safeguard his new home, journeying across three worlds to help those in need and drive back evil.

1 Like

Let me preface this by saying I’m not an RP-er, but a fanfic writer. Almost everything I’ve written can be found on this section of the forums, and most are in Kersia’s writing prompts. Its more of a small hobby that I occasionally indulge rather than a dedicated one, so this may/may not be of interest to you.

• Tanthelara Rosecrown- a former priestess of the Light in Silvermoon, survivor of the Scourge and destruction of the Sunwell, corrupted by the Void when her betrothed died during the assault on Icecrown over 10 years ago. The trauma led her to question her faith in the Light, allowing an entrance for the Void’s influence to take hold. She held the two in a tenuous balance for years before some mysterious benefactors offered a way to fully contain the corrupting force.

• Fahr Dawnshade (deceased)- priest of the Light who answered the call to duty and underwent profane rituals to harness the power of a naaru, after which his resolve and natural affinities allowed him to wield that power exceptionally well. Betrothed to Ms. Rosecrown and pledged himself to her after the events of Quel’danas. Fell when his group got overwhelmed by Scourge forces in Icecrown while attempting to establish a forward base deeper into the glacier. Held a deep hatred of humans after the hardships caused by the actions of Arthas and Garithos, which manifested in the opportunistic slaughter of the weak or innocent on multiple occasions-- the ramifications of which echoed well into the afterlife.

• Rin Dawnshade- former magister of Silvermoon and younger brother to Fahr. Became intrigued by the potency of fel magic when Kael’thas Sunstrider introduced the resource to his people as a measure to slate their arcane addiction. Sees himself as a disciple of the fallen Sun King, carefully studying the prince’s failures in attempt to perfect the “true legacy” of the Sunstrider dynasty – an Azeroth where the sin’dorei reign surpreme, powered by an inexhaustible supply of demon souls and the fel magic they contain. Went missing during the supernatural event in Northrend that followed Sylvanas Windrunner’s departure from the Horde.

Having said all that, I am working on alternate timeline versions of these characters to coincide with my play time in Classic. The simple take is this-- all 3 characters had a major event occur in their lives.

3 Likes

This is peak goblin and I love it. I’m picturing her having a massive tangle of holy symbols like Beni in the 1999 Mummy.

It’s still stories about characters, and that’s why I made the thread. I just want to see all the creative stuff you all come up with and so far (including your post!) I have not been disappointed.

5 Likes

In keeping with my arbitrary rule I’m doing Mages next; specifically Highborne Mages, Astrea Evermoon and Keermiel Lightriver.

Astrea Ellya Evermoon was the younger of a set of twins; allegedly bred for maximum proficiency in magic. As a scion of a powerful family in Winterspring, Astrea was privately schooled in the arcane arts, and generally excelled in her endeavors. Following the War of the Ancients Astrea was displaced, having lost much of her life to the chaos of the conflict and the treachery of family vassals. In the following years, Astrea began a vendetta against demonkind, spending her time collecting lost artifacts and lore, consolidating power, researching demons and hunting them where they could be found, sometimes in their own worlds.

In the later part of this period, Astrea began scrying on other parts of the world from her then established base in Isildien. Among her discoveries of the world beyond Kalimdor was the city-state of Dalaran, which she eventually visited. Astrea lived in Dalaran for a time, contributing to the Kirin Tor’s efforts in the Nexus War. Sometime after that conflict, she returned to Isildien, where she worked on several different projects until the War of Thorns. Around this time, she convened with her long-lost sibling, Maesha, a Priestess of the Moon and Sentinel Commander, and henceforth endeavored to aid their operations, hoping to earn glory among the Kaldorei so she may utilize her influence in favor of her caste. Following a crippling loss after an operation in Suramar, and a political loss prior, Astrea left her sister’s cadre and any hopes of gaining political influence among the Kaldorei, and began a career in education; teaching advanced classes in Dalaran on the school of Conjuration.

Keermiel was born Kelordrin, a member of the noble House Lightriver who held court in Ethel Rethor. House Lightriver was rather close in prestige to the rulers of Eldarath. Kelordrin’s mother, Velassi, harbored ambitions to usurp Eldarath’s ruling house in court; ambitions which her son shared.

Kelordrin and Velassi sought every opportunity to gain the favor of the Queen, and in turn prove their superiority over the Prince of Eldarath and his House. They soon saw an opportunity with the Prince’s eldest heir, a known womanizer, studying at Mennar Academy. Kelordrin and Velassi conceived a plan to seduce the heir to set in motion a plot for Kelordrin to assume leadership in the Prince’s court. Under Velassi’s masterful ministration Kelordrin was transformed, becoming Keermiel, her name based on the astromantic invocation Keermissar.

For years Keermiel worked to balance her studies in the prestigious magic school and her attempts to win the affection of Prince’s son. She was in the process of arranging her marriage when the War of the Ancients began in earnest. By the war’s end much of both houses was destroyed, along with their holdings. Keermiel struggled for a time to survive, taking her grief out on any demons she encountered in her travels. Eventually her drifting brought her Dalaran where she came to stay.

After the Nexus War, upon interacting with High Elf and Blood Elf descendants of House Lightriver, Keermiel formed an agreement with them and other like minded arcanists, forming the Lightriver Synod; a collective dedicated to study and research to mutually benefit the entire magic community.

She has seemingly all but abandoned her old political aspirations, perhaps due to a perceived futility in the effort. Instead she focuses on the acquisition of knowledge and history, occasionally placed at odds with her mother, now the leader of a tribe of Naga.

And now a bit of meta stuff. Astrea and Keermiel were at one point the same person. Astrea was originally of House Lightriver who, like Clan Cloudpaw, has a bit of a history written. Following an agreement with an old guildmate, Astrea was retconned as their character’s sister, placing her in another player created noble house with its own lore. The summary written here is something of a reconciliation of two versions of Astrea; one of Wyrmrest Accord and another on Moon Guard. They don’t differ much accept in their ultimate fates, where Wyrmrest Astrea becomes a bitter hermit while Moon Guard Astrea joins the Kirin Tor to become a teacher.

Keermiel was created in an attempt to utilize background elements previously cut from Astrea to fit with the Evermoon canon which, for the record, wasn’t a lot. The transgender angle was inspired by an interpretation of a Shakespeare play (I forget which), wherein one of the female characters wishes to be made a man if it would grant her the power she craves. The poetic tragedy of changing oneself to such an extreme level in interest of achieving something that is later rendered ruined and obsolete is about as far as that particular plot point goes.

Personality-wise I intended for the two of them to contrast so as to further differentiate them, with Astrea being somewhat cold and forward, heavily interested in empowering the Highborne socially and politically; while Keermiel is meant to be more playful and lighthearted, focused solely on intellectual development and historical preservation over politics.

2 Likes

This alone was worth the price of admission.

6 Likes

A bit of an addendum to share some more meta info I neglected to mention before.

Yun was originally created as one of the main antagonists of a guild campaign I had planned during Legion. Suffice to say, for one reason or another, I didn’t get far in executing it, but I managed to do a few things to salvage some of the plot elements. The most notable of these was a series of vignettes detailing Zhihao’s aforementioned vendetta, the likes of which ends with Yun.

As a slight tangent I don’t know if I ever posted any of those vignettes. I remember my intent to do so, however.

My making Yun a Death Knight was something of a spur of the moment thing, brought about when Pandaren Death Knights were made available in-game. I figured it would be beneficial to me in several ways; giving me a character that was more or less already written, as well as another opportunity to once more utilize elements of that unfulfilled plot, in addition to giving me a new kind of Death Knight character to develop.

1 Like

I like the idea of a mage basically being a demon hunter but just using their own arcane power for it instead of doing the whole demon eating ritual. I also never thought of a Highborne becoming a Kirin Tor before the Cataclysm but it totally makes sense.

Well, since we’re talking about ancient Kaldorei, I’ll go ahead and throw out my elf warrior.

Kalrendor Stormsword was born the son of a simple blacksmith in Suramar, growing to manhood in the ancient Kaldorei empire. He had no idea whatsoever about what was going on in the Queen’s court, being focused on making wagon wheels and grain scythes and such, but when the demons invaded, he used the size and strength that years of forging had given him to join in the fight to save his people. Despite having no magic, the sheer ferocity he discovered in himself let him survive the entire War, coming out the other side a battle hardened veteran.

When Kaldorei society began to restructure following the Sundering, Kalrendor had no desire to go back to being a simple civilian. He wanted to stay a warrior, but the options to do so in an official capacity were limited, since the Kaldorei military had been given over exclusively to the Huntresses of the Sentinels. In the end, he became a Guardian of Hyjal, protecting the druids as they slumbered in their barrows, training constantly to hone his edge, and being part of life there in the roots of the sacred World Tree. He did this for the better part of ten thousand years, leaving occasionally for conflicts such as the War of the Shifting Sands, but otherwise remaining settled in place.

When the Legion invaded and Hyjal was destroyed, he lost everything. Every friend he knew was dead, the druids were decimated, and the way of life he had guarded for so long was gone. Griefstricken, he left Hyjal and joined the Alliance, simply seeking to escape his pain. He spent several years as an adventurer, fighting threats across Azeroth, but he was forced to face his trauma when Deathwing returned and what remained of Hyjal was threatened. He fought his way into the Firelands and saved his home once and for all, but though he had learned to live with his memories, he didn’t stay. The reason Hyjal had fallen in the first place was the Kaldorei getting complacent. He wasn’t going to stay there and wait for threats to rise again. He would stay out in the world, seeking anything that threatened it and lending his ironwood blades to destroy it before it could gain power. Now, more than ever, he was a Guardian of Hyjal.

This isn’t part of his story, but it’s RP details I enjoy about him so I’ll share them as well. Kalrendor doesn’t use steel in his gear. All of it, armor and weapons both, is made of druid-grown ironwood, like what was made for Broxigar in the novels. Thousands of years of constantly polishing it with magic-infused lacquer have made it stronger than forged elementium, while still only weighing as much as wood.

On the personality side of things, Kalrendor is often unpopular with other Kaldorei for his opinion that they failed the task they were given. He feels that it’s completely right that they lost their immortality, and that trying to make a new World Tree to regain it was selfish and stupid. In Kal’s view, they were given their immortality in the first place to defend Azeroth from the Legion and other threats like it, and they clearly failed in that charge. You don’t get to keep the perks of a job you got fired from.

1 Like

I’m currently in the process of making this gobo a human but a notion I can say all my characters share is that they are all witches. I love the notion of witches and witchcraft so I ALWAYS incorporate it into my characters. Even my Paladin, Warrior and Rogue are witches in creative ways. :wink:

1 Like

Oh I wish I could link my silly fan fiction site where I just put up a small intro to Ripoff Sanchevy and his daughter Gooddeal Sanchevy. That said it was short so I can include a non-photo version of the story.

"The Xoffie Shop has acquired another piece of their private equity empire with the acquisition of Auction House Horders (Symbol on the Orgrimmar Index was AHH.) Rumor is Ripoff drove the company into the ground by investing in linen cloth and rough stone futures leaving the company exposed to a take over bid and the company being removed from the OI as it is no longer publicly traded.

This expands The Xoffie Shop’s holdings by giving them one. As in holding. As in one business they now own. They are retaining the less than famous junk dealer Ripoff Sanchevy, not recognized for many unknown endeavors, as GIO (goblin in overhishead) of Auction House Horders as his daughter Gooddeal Sanchevy turned it down. She is staying on as daughter, and only child, of Ripoff Sanchevy out of the pure kindness of her heart. Ripoff has had some moderate success in the past reselling knockoffs of the designer brand “Gotri of Orgrimmar” bags, pouches, and sacks.

After being threatened with legal action, Ripoff began to diversify into a media driven company, creating concepts for stage shows like the classic STANDcom series,”Sanchevy and Daughter” where he plays himself; A cantankerous junk dealer whose ways are often at odds with his good natured daughter and business partner, Gooddeal. Ripoff’s get rich quick goblin shenanigans lead to more explosions than a Goblin Bomb Dispenser.

Then there is the REAL reality stage show “Auction House Horders” (FOR sale to THE HORDE!!!), where Gooddeal is often just trying to keep the guild bank clean but Ripoff keeps stacking various types of cloth which he them tries to sell at exorbitant prices on the Orgrimmar Auction House. Not to be confused with the ROBcom, “ArenotinFACT Roadshow”, where Ripoff takes his wares on the road to various Flee Markets (markets he ends up fleeing from when people discover what he is selling are not in fact rare artifacts but are actually 3D printed replicas (3D – dirt, dust, and debris.)

You can find Ripoff’s and Gooddeal’s items at an auction house near you, thanks to cross server sales. :wink: "

Come ON dude, you can’t tease us like that! I wanna know the creative ways you did it, that sounds awesome!

The level of punnage in this post is nigh-Pratchettian. Hats off to you, friend. Hats off.

Since we’re on the topic of funny goblin characters, I think it’s time to talk about the Hazardpay clan! I have several characters who are part of this extended goblin family. The heads of the family are Helen “Wheels” Hazardpay (geddit?) and Gilbert Goldrims Hazardpay. Helen is a massive Amazon of a goblin fury warrior who was born into the Hazardpay’s Hammers, a very well-respected goblin mercenary battalion that mostly works for the Steamwheedles, but keeps their options open. Under her enthusiastic front line leadership, the Hammers grew from a run of the mill free company to something that a lot of rich people had first on their list if there was trouble that needed shooting. Gilbert, meanwhile, was an absolute Titan of a forensic accountant who kept books for multiple cartel bosses and crime lords alike. Though he was small and nerdy, he was feared and respected throughout Gadgetzan for his ability to move money around seemingly at will. A big bruiser might be able to punch him out without any effort, but they’d rapidly find their accounts empty and a great many even bigger bruisers at their door wanting to have a spike-covered talk with them about why they beat up their favorite accountant. Wheels was swept off her feet when this financial juggernaut showed interest in her, and they were married in only a few short months. With Gilbert’s financial prowess supporting Wheels’ ability as a battlefield commander, the Hammers were soon raking it in and climbing the ranks. Their daughter, Zirconia Hazardpay, had everything she ever wanted, and pursued a life of knowledge, becoming a world-class engineer.

Meanwhile, in a very different strata of goblin society, a young man named Mugshot Blastback was climbing out of the gutter with the help of his bigger, stronger, and lethally protective brother, Buckshot. The two were orphans on the streets of Gadgetzan, and Buckshot fought tooth and nail to keep his delicate younger brother safe from the street and give him the life he dreamed of. He begged, borrowed, stole, and killed for money in any way he could, to keep Mugshot safe and fed and get him into school. Eventually, this led to Mugshot being able to attend a good goblin university, where he met Zirconia and nearly instantly fell in love. With Buckshot’s blessing, Mugshot married into the Hazardpay clan. The safety and belonging the brothers had always wanted was theirs, and Mugshot used it to become an incredibly good enchanter and a competent mage. He and Zirconia would endlessly bicker about whether engineering or enchanting would make better devices, and in their love-fueled quest for knowledge they were a danger to everyone around them. This being a goblin town, everyone loved them for it and they were considered one of the brightest and best young couples in town, with Wheels, Gilbert, and Buckshot as proud as they could possibly be.

The only thing lacking in this goblin-tale marriage was a child. Though the goblin doctors swore that according to their charts, both young parents were fertile, they just couldn’t seem to conceive. They put it out of their minds for the moment and pursued their hobbies, ending up out at the Shimmering Flats raceway to check out all the cool cars there and see if they could use their twin methods of enhancing machines to make the best car ever. While scavenging for parts, they came across a sight that would change their life: A black furred Tauren calf, no more than four years old, lying on the salty desert floor half dead. Both of them immediately swept him up and took him back home to be nursed to health, and when he came to, the little calf couldn’t give much coherent information about where he’d come from. What little he could say, combined with his mental state when they found him, led the young couple to conclude that he was a Grimtotem who had fled an abusive home and nearly died in the desert in the process. With zero hesitation, they adopted him as their own, naming him Tarruk Hazardpay. The young Tarruk was raised as a goblin, with absolutely no mention or discrimination because of the fact that he’d been assigned Tauren at birth. He was welcomed into the clan with open arms, beloved by his grandparents and uncles, and he proved to be a good luck charm. The couple’s second child, Quixxi Hazardpay, was born just a year later.

Tarruk grew up into a proud, strong bull. He eagerly learned all he could of his family’s disciplines, and by the time he was an adult, he was an engineer enchanter on par with a Draenei Artificer, creating weapons and armor of incredible complexity and precision. He used those weapons to join the Hammers, becoming a mercenary and growing to full adulthood on the front lines with his uncle, Hardak Hazardpay. Only Tarruk called him that, though. The rest of the hammers knew the massive, grizzled goblin merc as the toughest sergeant they’d ever known, and they replaced the K in his name with a double-S. He whipped Tarruk into shape and taught him how to be a man both ethical and strong. Eventually, Tarruk branched out on his own, using a suit of customized power armor and a gun that would make the Skyfire jealous to become one of the best bounty hunters on Azeroth. That’s where he sits to this day, using his wolf, Shadow (who is also power armored, of course) to hunt the worst kinds of scum across four worlds. It doesn’t matter whether they run to another dimension or the afterlife itself. Tarruk Hazardpay will find them or your money back.

1 Like

Your praise is too much, but equally appreciated. LOVED the story of the Hazardpays, especially the part of how Tarruk was welcomed in with open arms and was actually seen as a good luck charm. I am so glad I started snooping around on the forums, this little area may prove to be addictive. :slight_smile:

Any more about Tarruk’s sister, Quixxi? Whose name, I must add, I TOTALLY love!

2 Likes

I’ve got quite a few toons; most of them I’m still working a story for. But I do have some that I’ve fleshed out pretty well. One of them is my orc, Bhemarg.

Bhemarg is an orc that was born after the first orcish invasion of Azeroth in the mountains of Alteraac. Though his mother was a Frostwolf and he was raised among Frostwolves, he was something of an outsider because of both his father who was a Bleeding Hollow, and the green skin that came from them drinking the blood of Mannaroth. I don’t want to go too much into his backstory as I’d rather that be explained and explored further in RP, but he was raised into a ferocious warrior, one that fights with the ferocious savagery of a Bleeding Hollow, but also behaves with the honor of a Frostwolf. He is a true loyalist of the Horde, one who would fight and if need be, die for its survival. But alongside that, his greatest goal in life is to live and die as a warrior; one with a legacy greater even than that of Broxigar the Red.

5 Likes