Tell me about your characters!

Dedaru here is an archaeologist and anthropologist working with the Explorer’s League.

She’s been fascinated by Azeroth ever since she landed. The daughter of a Vindicator (her mother) and an absent-minded mage/alchemist (her father), she was always face deep in books.

She’s happily married to her wife who is the head matriarch of a minor noble house in Kul Tiras. They have a wonderful son who is 11-years-old now.

Dedaru is also an author of some renown, writing books about the various cultures she’s ran into.

4 Likes

That’s actually my girlfriend’s character! She made Quixxi up first, along with Mugshot and Zirconia, and then it all kind of spiraled out of control when we started talking about them :laughing: I’ll ask her to come over here and give a proper write-up for her.

I would imagine life has been tough for him the last few years with Sylvanas in charge :grimacing: Also, that is one heck of an ambition. I bet trying to achieve it leads to some crazy situations!

Her outsider’s perspective on Azerothian stuff must be very interesting!

I’m going to change gears a bit and talk about my Tauren Blademaster, Turos Ragetotem. Turos was born just after the Dark Portal opened, and that meant he grew to adulthood during the worst of the battles against the Centaur, and was one of the first wave of Tauren to eagerly volunteer as Horde soldiers after the Orcs saved them from extinction. He joined the Horde’s army and quickly rose through the ranks, as he was an exceptionally big, strong, and deadly warrior even for a Ragetotem Tauren. He became a Champion, Horde special forces tasked with going alone behind enemy lines to destabilize their foes however he saw fit. He excelled at it, and for a while, life was good.

That all changed when Garrosh Hellscream was appointed warchief. Though he was lucky enough not to lose anyone in the attack on Thunder Bluff by the Grimtotem, it rocked Turos’s worldview, and the atrocities Garrosh used the Horde to commit over the next several years left him a broken man, wracked by guilt. Though he had eventually helped siege Orgrimmar to depose the evil warchief, he had participated in the Horde’s atrocities for far too long for his conscience to forgive, spurred by threats against the civilians of the Tauren people if he and other soldiers didn’t obey. He left the Horde in disgust after that and spent a few months wandering aimlessly, lacking a purpose in life except to try to soothe his pain any way he could.

It was in this state that he was found by Garkosh, an old Orc Blademaster. A random barfight (which Garkosh handily won) led him to take an interest in Turos. Garkosh had been one of the Burning Blade who became ravening beasts during the Doom of Draenor and the First War, and he knew more than any being alive about guilt that you couldn’t live with. After sobering Turos up, he decided to take the hurting bull under his wing and teach him how to turn his pain into righteous fury and use it to protect the powerless. It was the only solution that Garkosh himself had found to the endless guilt. If he devoted himself to doing good, serving no nation or people but the cause of life itself, then perhaps he could atone for what he had done, and eventually leave the scales balanced, with his life being a net positive for the world.

Turos accepted his apprenticeship as a Blademaster, lacking any other purpose in life. He excelled at the physical parts of the training, and he slowly began to find the beginnings of peace in the mental and magical parts. Through focus, harnessing his own life energy and the energy of the world around him, he became a far greater warrior than he had ever been, and he began to realize that as long as there is life, there is hope. Eventually, he and Garkosh traveled to Pandaria, and he finished his training there, honing his skills by helping to heal the wounds the war had left. When the time came for him to make his own burning blades, filled with the spirits of fire to aid him in his battles, the blades were made using Pandaren fire spirits, imbued with Pandaren jade and stone.

The fact that the spirits of this land he had done so much to hurt were willing to accept him, to journey with him as allies, filled Turos’s heart with hope. He took his new blades and set off to do as his master had taught him. He would defend the helpless, protect those without power to protect themselves, and oppose the forces that sought to destroy the balance of the world at any cost. Though nothing could bring back those he had hurt and killed, he could make sure that as long as he still drew breath, no one within his reach would ever suffer that way again. Old wounds take time to heal, and it’s not an instant magical solution, but bit by bit, day by day, he finds peace.

3 Likes

Awww, that is awesome to hear, and I love when lore stories pour out of my friends when we talk about our characters in game. I love doing it with all genres too, but lately I have been on a Dragonflight induced WoW binge, so I am digging on them in this universe at the moment. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

He’s been dominating my mind ever since I made him, so have my Worgen monk, Edric.

“There is no such thing as noble right, my son. Only noble duty. For when much is given, much is required.”

These words more than any other have shaped the life of Lord Edric Albrecht, heir of House Albrecht in Gilneas. He was born into fantastic privilege, for his family owned mines across the nation and beyond. Silver, iron, copper, they provided a great deal of metal to the Gilnean industrial complex, and received great wealth in return. Many children born this way would have been raised spoiled and selfish, sheltered from the real world and arrogant beyond belief. But the first of the many, many ways in which Edric was lucky was in who his parents were. His father was a scholar of the Old Ways, the ancient traditions of the harvest and the land, and both of his parents were a devout worshipers of the Holy Light, even when it fell out of favor in Gilneas. They viewed their wealth, power, and privilege as something they were not entitled to, but that they had achieved through sheer good fortune of birth. Because of this, their greatest motivation in life was to take those who had not had good fortune of birth and make their lives better. Albrecht money flowed constantly into the streets, helping the downtrodden and oppressed. They gave out food, helped people learn trades, invested in safe, affordable housing, and tried to improve Gilneas in a lasting, meaningful way, rather than by simply handing out gold to make themselves feel better.

Edric was born to one day assume the mantle of this duty. His father contracted a wasting sickness when the boy was a mere ten years old, and though he survived, it left him impaired. Thus, Edric took on his duties far younger than expected. His teenage years were split between training to be a Gilnean gentleman and doing the day to day work of managing as much of his family’s affairs as he was able. He would spend half of his day learning all that a man of his station was expected to know of both war and peace, and then the other half in the fields, or at the docks, or in the mines, coordinating the family’s vast wealth and vaster outreach programs. It left him with a mastery of the sort of logistical and military duties that most young men of his station would wait until late in life to deal with, and a severe deficiency in the areas of courting and socialization. Any chance he might have had to grow arrogant from being deferred to by his peers was lost in the sheer scramble of all he had to do, leaving him considerably more shy and awkward than one might expect of a man only a few steps down from being royalty.

By the time he was twenty years old, Edric was well positioned to smoothly take over his family’s affairs, and leave his father a few years of peace before he passed. All of that was shattered by the rise of the Scourge, and the rise of the Worgen in turn. The Albrecht family furiously worked in Gilneas city as the outbreak overtook the nation, attempting to use their merchant ships and counting houses to shelter survivors. Edric ended up on one such ship, packed to the gills with terrified refugees as they left the harbor. Unfortunately, some of those refugees were already infected, and within a few short days, the ship became a floating tomb, a ghost ship with nothing but feral Worgen on it. As a noble raised with the best of everything, Edric was the most physically healthy on the ship, and thus he was the last beast to survive. The ship drifted for weeks as he slowly starved, feral and alone. Then it passed through endless mist and wrecked on the shores of Pandaria.

Edric was far too weak to fight when he was found, and thus the Pandaren were able to both nurse him and study him at the same time. The Lorewalkers and the Shado-Pan were called, and between the two of them, they were able to make a good guess at his condition. After much discussion, the slowly recovering feral Worgen was sent to the Peak of Serenity. If anyone on Azeroth could heal him, it was the great masters who studied on the mountaintop. And if he couldn’t be healed, they could give him the most peaceful death. The masters worked with him slowly, using animal training techniques at first, but as they were able to calm and center him, the beast began to recede, and the man emerged once more. Over the course of several years, Edric came back to himself, communing with the Celestials, devoting himself to the ways of discipline, balance, and harmony. Eventually, he regained his mind fully, though he was never able to transform himself back into a man. He studied devoutly, for his life and soul depended on it, and he soon developed into one of the greatest monks of this age, despite his youth.

As he learned, Edric developed and refined the philosophy his family had taught him. He realized now that the reason those who were given much had to help those given little was because such a thing threw the world out of balance. Only when everyone was living together in cooperation, safe from harm, with protectors and healers standing between them and the dark, could the world be as it should be. He journeyed across Pandaria, learning from each Celestial personally, fighting the Mantid and the Saurok, and seeking to use all he’d been given to help others as much as possible. When the Horde and Alliance landed on Pandaria, he joined that war as well, assisting in driving the Sha from the world forever, and then he set out from Pandaria’s shores to carry his burden to the rest of the world and beyond. He had been given more than anyone he’d even heard of, blessed by the gods or by random chance with good fortune and great power. It was time to pay that gift forward to everyone else.

2 Likes

As requested, here is info about the missing Hazardpay, Quixxi!

Quixxi is both an engineer and a shaman. She cut her teeth on cogs, gears and springs, and was born with magical ability that caused most people to assume she would follow in Mugshot’s footsteps. They were proved wrong when, as a toddler, Quixxi inadvertently summoned a small but powerful fire elemental from the coals of the oven. The startled creature promptly blew up the teakettle, slagged half the silverware and departed, leaving a smoking hole in the kitchen wall. Her parents were fit to burst with pride.

It quickly became clear that Quixxi’s connection to the Elements was very strong, but it manifested in a somewhat unusual way. Quixxi feels most strongly connected to the parts of Azeroth where people make their homes. She draws power from the fires of forges and ovens, the towering protectiveness of stone walls, the flash and sizzle of electricity through wires, and the soothing rush of rain on the roof. As such, her shamanism is bound to, and often expresses itself through, her engineering.

When Quixxi was very young, her best friend was killed in a freak accident. The rock that killed her would have killed Quixxi instead, if it had fallen a second sooner, or landed a foot to the left. Quixxi was horrified at the sheer randomness and suddenness of the incident. She fell into a deep depression, during which she lost interest in everything, because if everything could be taken away in a heartbeat for no reason at all, then what was the point? Today, it was a boulder. What if tomorrow brought a stray meteor that wiped out all of Azeroth?

However, it is not in the nature of goblins to sit idle for long… at least, not when it isn’t fun. Although her heart still ached for her lost friend, Quixxi soon realised that a force that could make anything happen, anything at all, was something that she had to know more about. If life and death, and, more importantly, poverty and wealth, could switch places in the space of a breath, if planets could be created and destroyed, if everything about everything could change so easily through sheer random chance…

…well then, Quixxi was going to learn how to harness that force. And make a profit from it, of course. And so Quixxi’s lifelong obession was born. She is determined to understand exactly how Luck works, and how she can take control of its power. Her wardrobe is a constantly changing display of various trinkets, charms and amulets. Cheap gimcrack rings are strung on cords next to priceless gems. Bits of wood and bone alternate with twisted gears and polished glass. Her connection to cities means that she tends to make her armour and weapons out of scrap metal and found items, so she sometimes resembles a walking junkheap.

She is prone to asking seemingly random questions and taking detailed notes about the strangest things. She will wander off with objects said to be lucky or cursed, though actual magical items are usually safe from her, as she already knows how those work. (She has never studied rabbits’ foot talismans, reasoning that the rabbit cannot possibly have been that lucky). And despite her often erratic approach to life, she takes her duties as a shaman very seriously. “Azeroth don’t talk to me like she talks to that sparkly dwarf fella, but she lets me know when there’s a problem I can solve. Bad luck for everyone if the world dies, right?”

3 Likes

Both were MARVELOUS stories, and I am grinning at the synergy I sense you two have sharing your stories and watching them grow in each other’s minds. Thank you both for sharing. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would have written that just a bit differently.

“I grabbed one of the fallen soldiers swords and ran it through the bush. I could hear the blade puncture his armor followed by a gasp of pain. I pushed it in deeper, I still couldn’t see him but I kept pressing until his cries stopped and the dirt underneath the bush was covered in flowing blood."

1 Like

Here’s another one! Meet Tansy Twistwire, my Mechagnome shadowpriest! She’s a friendly and affable little… haunted doll. No, really.

Tutorial to be read prior to interaction with Unit TW15-TW1R3, the chassis built to preserve the consciousness of the gnomish priestess Tansy Twistwire following her near demise.

It will be apparent even to observers without a modicum of magical sensitivity that this unit is steeped in Shadow magic. Do not be alarmed! Prior to the installation of her brain, Sister Twistwire conducted extensive psychological testing upon herself to establish a baseline personality, considered by the majority of peer reviewers to represent the condition of “sanity” as it is experienced by Sister Twistwire.

Prior to upgrading her magical abilities with the power of the Void, Sister Twistwire uploaded this data into the memory banks of Unit TW15-TW1R3, where it serves as the control for a series of personality analyses which Unit TW15-TW1R3 performs at random while observing Sister Twistwire’s behavior. Should a significant deviation from the “sane” baseline occur, Unit TW15-TW1R3 will perform a more in-depth examination of Sister Twistwire’s brain before selecting a pre-programmed course of action.

Depending on the severity of the “sanity failure”, Unit TW15-TW1R3 may:

1. Request that a nearby ally adminisiter an open-palmed blow to the back of Unit TW15-TW1R3’s cranium. (Should you be selected for this duty, please be aware that this unit will defend itself from strikes with weapons, both purpose-made and improvised.) To complement this technique, Unit TW15-TW1R3 has been programmed to respond to verbal commands such as “Snap out of it!”, “Get a grip!” and “Take a chill pill!”. Feel free to ehance any of these vocalisations with the judicious application of profanity.

2. Shut down momentarily, to allow Sister Twistwire a moment to consider the impact of her actions up on herself, her companions, and the universe at large. During shutdown, one arm may be left running to facilitate the transfer of tea, chocolate candies or other soothing comestibles into Unit TW15-TW1R3’s mouth.

3. Disconnect entirely from Sister Twistwire’s control and walk itself back to the area that it has identified as the current base of operations, where it will seek out the assistance of allies competent to perform purifications, exorcisms, stern talkings-to and other procedures likely to help Sister Twistwire return to the mindset colloquially referred to as “sanity”. Should this occur at an inopportune moment, please accept Sister Twistwire’s pre-emptive apologies, and understand that the decision to upgrade herself with Void and Shadow energy was a carefully considered one, based on the belief that, with stronger magic, she can be of greater use to her allies, and to Azeroth as a whole.

For more information, please read the FAQ below:
Q: What are you made of?
A: Unit TW15-TW1R3 is composed of a number of alloys selected for durability and light weight. Her face and much of her torso are made of a proprietary material which Sister Twistire has designated as Organic Porcelain. It is meant to have the strength of an inorganic compound along with the capacity of organic flesh to convey information via facial expressions. Sister Twistwire herself is a disembodied brain, and as such, is made mostly of fat, water and electrical impulses.

Q: So you’re a brain in a doll?
A: Please see previous question.

Q: How does your, uh, chassis know if your brain has gone insane?
A: Unit TW15-TW1R3’s behavior analyses are based upon an incredibly complex algorithm relating to keeping Sister Twistwire’s core personality intact while allowing for beneficial personal growth and preventing the onset of the condition commonly known as “insanity”. Common tells of impending “insanity” include, but are not limited to:

-Speaking wistfully and/or enthusiatically of cataclysms, apolcalypses, disasters, demonic invasions and other large-scale events likely to have widespread negative impact.

-Attempting to summon demons, old gods and other ill-intentioned beings outside of the scope of combat.

-Demonstrating a shift in preference in personal decor, tending toward spikes, skulls, fel crystals and other tacky, overblown items.

-Stating the intent to “Show them! Show them alllll!!!”

Q: What do I do if I think you’re about to… you know… go nuts?
A: Unit TW15-TW1R3 is capable of monitoring and regulating Sister Twistwire’s sanity. Outside observers need not concern themselves with this task. Should “insanity” occur, appropriate action will be taken.

Q: Okay, but what if you’re looking at me funny?
A: Should Unit TW15-TW1R3 display facial expressions consistent with negative emotion, it is likely that Sister Twiswire is experiencing distress, anger, concern, discomfort, or annoyance. If you are the cause of any of these conditions, please desist.

Q: Who am I talking to right now, anyway?
A: You are speaking to Sister Tansy Twistwire. The conversation is being facilitated by her chassis, known as Unit TW15-TW1R3.

Q: That’s a mouthful.
A: Sister Twistwire, Professor Twistwire, Ms Twistwire or simply Tansy are all acceptable appelations.

Q: So you’re basically a haunted robotic doll that might go completely psycho at any given moment?
A: See first question.

6 Likes

Oh my GAWD! I just might be a mechagnome! Am I typing this or just processing a response digitally? Hehehe just kidding… I think. Hmm, I think I need a cup of Earl Grey and some dark chocolate covered almonds.

Yep, pretty sure.

The hilarity of this was I just spent time running around Mechagon and ran through Operation Mechagon collecting clockwork pets. Partly because I returned to get some Big Mech Sandwich Supplies and realized I never grabbed any of those adorably INSANE mechanical pets when I was first there. The odds make this story even more fun. Maybe Tansy could compute those. hehehe

What great fun you must be to chat with Talet! Mordhåu too! Thanks for letting us all peek into your imaginations.

2 Likes

Drahliana’s memories of Mechagon are mostly those of one continual migraine.

Learn the use of paragraph breaks.

Trust me on this it really impacts the readability of your work.

1 Like

I’m not on an RP server but I still have a story for this main:

He had 2 brothers in Gilneas and when the Scourge came and the walls were closed, he was left on the outside in Pyrewood Village, defending against the undead as well as the worgen. He was infected with the curse and was on death’s door when the Scourge finally found him, bleeding in the wilderness. Raised into undeath, he was one of the few worgen death knights, and served well until he broke free. Years later, after the War of the Lich King, he returned home only to find the doors of his home closed off.

He served the Alliance in Stormwind, and also witnessed refugees pour into the harbor from across the sea. Worgen and Gilneans alike. Supporting the displaced survivors, he asked around for his brothers but found out they stayed behind to fight the Forsaken invaders. Then, he set off to help them in Gilneas, and reunite his family.

You may now applaud, tips are also appreciated.

1 Like

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a story that closely follows the in-game presentation, nor with having a story that is very simple. I barely RP with my gazillion characters, but the story gives me motivation to play them in gameplay. So no worries!

2 Likes

I’ve more or less run out of characters with longer backstories that I’d consider to be interesting, save for my Worgen Mage, so this post will cover one that is comparably less detailed but still significant in content:

Yshalar Alan’thera was originally a General of the Kaldorei Empire’s royal army. While her place in the military was initially gained through nepotism, she grew into the role overtime, becoming a renowned marksman and tactician. After the end of the War of the Ancients, Yshalar faced a variety of unfortunate situations at once, the condemnation of her caste, the loss of family, and especially the loss of status with the establishment of the Sentinel Army. She soon divorced herself from her people, choosing to leave Kalimdor in pursuit of a long-held interest in sailing.

With a crew of old comrades and like-minded Elves she set off, eventually becoming a privateer. Her long career was eventually disrupted by a vicious pirate attack, ending in the death of most of her crew and loss of control of her ship. After some time in the pirates’ custody, she managed to slay the captain using his own weapon, a pistol. Taking control of what remained of the pirate crew and what little remained of her own, she once more became captain of her ship. All the while she kept the pistol, dedicating the ensuing years to learning the mechanics and techniques of firearms.

Something during these years, Yshalar met with a pair of Mages, one Gnome and one Dwarf, each technically inclined and developing a new form of firearm. With her own experience she joined the project, eventually culminating in a peculiar rifle, and later pistol, bearing no physical triggers. These guns, dubbed Arcanus, were capable of firing a variety of bolts of arcane energy by way of a runic trigger inscribed on a user’s hand. As the designated tester of the first Arcanus, Yshalar inherited what soon became a powerful weapon.

Eventually Yshalar’s weapon was set to be put to frequent use. She had retired her vessel, unable to fully work past the grief tied to its initial theft, and instead began to take on contracts as an assassin; further developing the Arcanus she helped create on her own time.

Yshalar was one of a few character concepts born of the desire to interpret classes from the WoW ttrpg, and one of the few iterations of that I’ve managed to actually do anything with. In particular her abilities are mainly a hybrid of the Gunman and Deadshot with the Arcanus providing quasi-mage twist. The concept of the Arcanus is, at least as far as I am aware, generally original; derived in name and concept from a weapon in my own fantasy setting, in which it was devised by a magic-inclined race of Elves who inhabit a feudal magi-technocratic plutocracy. I imagine the general concept of magical guns is by no means new, however I can’t recall any previous examples of such that are specifically powered by magic.

Yshalar’s separation from her people is an angle I’d like to one day explore more, however it has yet to come up much in few opportunities I’ve had to portray her. I like to imagine she still in some way cares about the Kaldorei in some form but has become too deeply embittered to change her ways.

Fun fact, she is my oldest Night Elf character by a few thousand years, with my youngest being in her eighties.

1 Like

I’ve seen something vaguely similar in various DnD-inspired settings with magitek, but they’re usually more along the lines of a wand that’s had a certain number of fireball or magic missile spells charged into it. Yours sounds more like those guns that were in Bloodrayne 2 that ran on blood, except Mana. I like it!

I bet it would be fun to bounce her off of Kalrendor :laughing: They could be grumpy about kids these days together.

After Shattrath was reestablish, Kaioon spent his days manning the walls as a guard. He even mastered the skill of Nether-Ray riding and joined the Shatari Skyguard; eventually attaining rank of captain.

His nights he spent in the lower city where he would compete in Jed’hin. The ritualized draenei wrestling matches were experiencing a revival and Kaioon met with success under his ring name of Iron Elekk. With victory came fame and even minor celebrity. At least in the very nitche world of Lower City’s amature Jed’hin tourney circuit.

With the close of the Shattered Sun invasion, Kaioon honorably resigned his post with The Skyguard for a comission as soldier of The Alliance as the Azerothian forces had impressed him greatly. The Prophet said that Azeroth was the future of their people, and who could argue otherwise after seeing the defeat of The Deceiver at Quel’danas?

From that moment forward it was a soldier’s life. He was at Icecrown when The Litch King fell. He was in Stormwind when Deathwing shattered the world. He plied the mists of Pandaria, faced the Warlords of Draenor and set hoof on bloody Argus. He has fought bravely and honrably and for all of it he has yet to be recognized by any but his comrades and superiors.

But still to this day when drinking at a bar or tavern frequented by draenei, he is occasionally recognized as Iron Elekk. To his pride and his embassment.

2 Likes

As the child of a merchant and (quite) low ranking noble, Telvyran had thought he was destined to be a nobody.

But after the Scourge Invasion destoryed large swathes of his people Telvyran jumped at the chance to train in the new Blood Knight order. He wanted to help his people in their rebuilding and struggle to survive and this seemed like a good option. Since the Light had failed and abandoned his people, he thought why shouldn’t they take it back and save themselves?

While he took to his new powers and training well, Telvryan was a bit of an awkward fit for the Order at that time. Many of it’s members seemed to care more about the amassing of power than of using it to help their struggling people.

He did his duties well and was a loyal soldier (arguably to a fault at times) but was sometimes a bit looked down upon for his views and for his caring for the weak and powerless.

You might think things would’ve changed for the better after the purification of the Sunwell… and they did in one sense, but also got worse in another.

While now the Order was more devoted to helping people and keeping the Blood Elves safe and protected, which was just as Telvyran had long hoped for, there was more of a change than just that. Now most of the Order, and particularly those high up in it, seemed to forgive the Light for it’s abandonment of Quel’Thalas and devote themselves to worshiping it as the Alliance do and in the past the High Elves had.

Which led to the different conflict between Telvyran and the mainstream views of the Order.

While most of them forgave the Light for abandoning them and accepted that it had tricked them into stealing it’s power to lure the Blood Elf people back to it’s worship, Telvyran considered it more proof that the Light was not worthy of worship.

As his views and how openly and often he shared them brought him into conflict with the Order he was eventually court martialed and kicked out.

He still has his powers, using the Sunwell’s Light by taking it as he was trained rather than worshipping it. But while he is still a Blood Knight by training (he would never call himself a Paladin as he doesn’t worship the Light) and still using his powers for the greater good of his people he is always forced to clarify he is not a member of the Order (or face it’s wrath) and to work independently because of the political and theological disagreement.

1 Like

First or Second Edition?.. the first was based on Warcrat up to Warcraft 3, and the second on WOW which makes them very different. Also the Second Edition books had a lot more color as opposed to being almost entirely monochrome illustrations.

Apparently, they’re from the Second Edition. I must admit I kinda forgot there were multiple iterations, so I had to look it up. I’ve pulled pretty much everything I know about the rpg from Wowpedia as, sadly, I don’t own any of the books myself.

I got them all… they’re long out of print and apparently DriveThruPDF doesn’t sell he pdfs any more… so …Google is your friend.