TBC Warlock professions

Pretty torn between Alchemy/Herb and Enchanting/Tailor

Any recommendations?

I am going tailoring/enchanting.

Boost a druid for flower picking.

2 Likes

You listed two professions that provide no benefit other than gold-making vs twothat are primarily picked up for in-game benefit…

So… do you need gold or do you want to be slightly stronger?

1 Like

If you want to make money then herbing and alchemy are certainly a good way to go.

If you want to raid and be competitive with other warlocks then tailoring and enchanting are your professions.

Plus don’t forget; if you’re farming the reputations and getting the patterns, you can make a lot of gold with your raid professions too. I’d personally suggest tailoring/enchanting unless you just don’t care about raiding.

TL:DR
Tailoring and Leatherworking are yor mandatory performamce professions for TBC.
There’s a decent chance they’ll change drums so in the meantime just do Tailoring/Enchanting and be prepared to swap to Tailoring/Leatherworking in TBC.

Tailoring let’s you craft the Frozen Shadoweave set which is BIS for a very very long time. Kinda like Bloodvine on steroids. Spell thread and bags are lucrative to an extent as well.

Leatherworking will be mandatory for drums, AS OF THIS MOMENT, they may, I hope, make changes in the future but 400 haste across 5 people (about 5.5% haste for each player) is not insignificant. It’s more impactful than world buffs because it’s got a 100% uptime instead of disappearing on death.

Even if they do some change with it, having 5.5% haste for 30 seconds on a 2 minute cooldown is extremely important because all you will be doing is spamming shadowbolt and in that build a haste buff has huge value. So it’s still very powerful in dungeons and more solo combat.

Hopefully they’ll change it so you don’t have to be LW to use the drums. I hope this is the change they do so people stop laughing at me
for being a full LW hunter in classic :frowning_face:. If so then enchanting is your best bet because of the ring enchants for 2x12 spell damage.

Enchanting pretty much is just for the 24 SP from enchanted rings and is expensive/annoying to level. Considering there’s a good chance you’ll have to swap professions in TBC and tailoring is your priority it’s not the best idea unless you plan to commit to it and make money with enchanting.

If you are not interested in performing well then it doesn’t matter what you go.

I’d recommend giving your alts skinning/mining and mining/herbalism. Mining double dips with BS and JC and (based off classic) is less ravaged by bots than herbalism.

Source for all of this? Me. I raided as a warlock in TBC and cleared prenerf BT. Didn’t clear sunwell because of high school graduation. Should have just gotten a GED and cleared sunwell instead. >.>

9 Likes

My warlock is already alch/Herb and I thought about changing but it’s not worth it IMO. Alch/Herb is great for gold and just self sustaining myself for consumables.

Plus all those casters go tailoring for their cloth means less competition for raid drops for me. So I can handle the DPS loss.

Tailoring, it’s foolish to not have max tailoring for tbc

2 Likes

One of your professions needs to be leatherworking. If you refuse to take that your other choices are irrelevant.

If you’re horde always make your herbalist a tauren. Though I forget if you can fail picking high level herbs in tbc, never failing a black lotus pick in classic was great.

Tailoring/Leather working.

You can do enchanting, but why bother. Enchanting rings is nice but it’s nothing special.

Leather working is not mandatory.

2 Likes

Any guild taking TBC raiding seriously is going to want as many drums users as possible.

A group wide 5.5% haste buff for 30 seconds on a 2 minute cooldown alone is going to be hard to beat in terms of performance from professions. I’d take the drums over 2x12 spell damage ring enchants as a TBC lock any day.

And like I said, if you don’t care about performance, do whatever you want.

I took it quite serious back in the day. Drums got used occasionally. We were happy when it happened. But it wasn’t mandatory, and content still got cleared.

2 Likes

Enchanting Tailor has a great synergy. The gear you craft in tailor > you disenchant for enchant materials.

Plus, frozen shadoweave set is great for warlocks.

Just clearing content means you’re in the lowest percentile of players.

If you want to be competitive, which just means how many hours after launch did you clear it? And, how fast did you clear it? You will have drums groups just like you had world buffs.

Those are the only 2 raid metrics worth considering.
For individual damage it’s just the normal percentile system with quality grades.

You won’t parse above a blue if you don’t have a drums rotational group, period.

So my statement still stands. If you want to be competitive you do drums groups. If you don’t care about being competitive then you can keep clearing behind everyone else and parsing low.

Leatherworking is ‘mandatory’ due to the drums. However, it is not ‘mandatory’ for everyone - or, at least, not in the same way.

If you’re an Affliction Warlock, Leatherworking probably isn’t even on your list because you won’t be in a dps group and it doesn’t provide a particularly good personal benefit (DoT are unaffected by haste).

If you’re a Destro Warlock, Leatherworking may be useful for you. In the most common configuration, you stack 3x Destro Warlock with a Balance Druid and an Elemental Shaman. That means your group already has 2/4 of the Drum cooldowns it can use (from the Druid and Shaman). You’re going to get a 3rd cooldown from the Resto Shaman who is swapped into your group for Bloodlust/Heroism at some point.

So you really only need one of those three Warlocks to have Leatherworking for the drum buff - and it’s not actually all that strong because it’s the 4th (least used drum buff).

Split the difference, Tailor/Alch.

Already stated above but as a warlock (or any clothy) tailoring is mandatory. The pre-raid BiS are BoP tailoring recipes. And if you re tailor might as well be enchanter too.

And?

If that’s your thing, then fine.

I don’t pay attention.

2 Likes

BS with mace specialization.

2 Likes