TBC has more players now, than classic did during naxx

So Ironforg.pro is a website that tracks player data, it is not perfect because it bases it off raiders that are uploaded to warcraft logs but it does show a decent data point.

During the timeframe of 9 May 2021 to 16 May 2021, they recorded 215814 players across all classic realms. That means that many unique players raided at least once during that time period.

as of 6 October 2021 to 13 October 2021, they had 355789 players that raided.

I think a lot of this doom and gloom about the game dying, is mostly from players on dying servers because blizzard has refused to do anything about server populations. There are many ways to deal with it and I dont want to rehash all the options they are failing to do because I want to point out more people are raiding now, than towards the end of Naxx.

There are also a lot of players that just do not raid, but still play, so there are many more people playing than you think. Is there drop off? Of course there is, but it is not the end of the world.

9 Likes

Pretty sad, but not surprising

1 Like

If this is true why so many dead servers?

1 Like

Does it take into consideration alts raiding? Cause I’m sure some if not most players have at least 1 alt doing kara.

3 Likes

So we’re comparing the week before prepatch of a new expansion with a raid that has been going on for almost 7 months to a couple weeks into a brand new raid phase ?

6 Likes

Interesting data, but to be fair, a lot of guilds quit raiding in Classic after they had killed KT and farmed it a bit. Because all of that loot would soon be replaced in Outland. Certainly in the last month, there were a lot of guilds taking a break.

1 Like

Are these individual accounts? With boosting, that makes sense. People probably raid on 3 or 4 characters now

Obviously because people transfer to mega servers. That’s just a reshuffle of the population, that doesn’t decrease total population.

1 Like

Was that the moment of peak raid participation for Classic? As in, the highest amount of Logs at any point?

(Legitimate question, not snark)

Like Daxigar said I don’t really think it’s fair to take the numbers at the end of Classic. I know A LOT of people who were taking a break that week. I raided but not on both my characters.

I don’t think the game is necessarily dying but yes servers are. A lot of more people are raid logging now percentage-wise than were in Classic. That just means that if their guilds die, or their servers die, they might just walk away and not come back instead of bothering to find a new guild etc because there’s really nothing else (but their raid group) keeping them playing.

2 Likes

May…So around 5 months POST content launch of the last phase?

Curious how those numbers look in classic phase 2 compared to TBCC phase 2…

1 Like

All the doom and gloom makes me laugh. I just hop on my server and see so many people, ah is packed with stuff, a lot of people doing arenas and bgs, feelsgoodman. Hey I have an idea, how about you transfer to a mega server? I did in p3 classic and it was the best decision.

5 Likes

Some of us don’t want to play a Retail clone with layers making everything feel disjointed, a total garbage “server community”, zero accountability, tons of scammers and botters, running into extremely rude people constantly, guild hoppers, people leaving groups all the time etc. All in a boring PVE world. That’s great that you enjoy these things though.

Horde side on my server is fine even if the ally side is not, I can get whatever groups I want, the world is just boring.

3 Likes

Big servers getting bigger, small servers getting smaller. Just like what happened in retail’s lifespan, but at a much faster rate.

The world was “boring” in Classic. I don’t know if you remember or not, but literally 95% of alts were standing at the beginning of a dungeon while a mage pulled everything. Wpvp died when bg’s were implemented etc.

BWL was, it was peak pandemic though

I don’t know why anyone trusts those numbers from that site. They’re not accurate and never were. Only Blizzard knows the population numbers and activity and those have been kept secret.

1 Like

and they keep them secret now because it’s not pretty.

1 Like

Because in 2021 most people view things in absolutes. So instead of seeing a balanced server they see a dead server and only consider megaservers like Mankrik or Benediction as healthy populations.

Case in point. Any change equates to “retail clone”, if its not a 0 its a 1 to these people.

1 Like

That was what you took out of my post about the poor community on the super mega servers? Interesting.

I don’t agree with you on Classic but that’s ok.

1 Like