TBC Classic 2.5.3 Client, system crash

Anyone else having issues with the TBC Classic 2.5.3 client crashing their Macbook Pro when launching the game?
Sometimes the game fails to launch and gives this code:
CommandLine Parse Error: psn_0_69649(0): Invalid argument: psn_0_69649

Sometimes launching the game just outright causes my Mac to crash and reboot.
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)
MAC OS Catalina
version 10.15.7 (19H1615)
2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7
6 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

4 Likes

Since this mornings update, launching the game from both the battle.net client and the wow app directly causes my entire system to freeze requiring a hard reset. I have not had any issues with TBC before this mornings update.

Deleting and reinstalling the game does not fix the problem.

Specs:
2019 Macbook Pro 16 - Catalina
2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
32gb ram
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M

Same behavior I am experiencing, prior to this morning’s update, I didn’t have any issues.

I had the same issue, and adding the line mentioned in PSA: SET gxAdapter issue allowed Burning Crusade Classic to finally start successfully. This of course means you are playing with the lesser graphics card, so just a temporary fix.

Tried that fix and it didn’t work for me. Still get a total system freeze when launching the game.

What model Macbook do you have? Me and Sarkonis both have a 2019 16" Macbook pro with the Radeon Pro 5500M. I wonder if it’s related to that card.

I also tried with “automatic graphics switching” disabled but had the same problem.

I have the very same, 16 inch 2019, AMD Radeon Pro 5600M / Intel UHD Graphics 630, Catalina. What does your Logs/gx.log say? It should indicate which card it is picking via a line something like

Choosing gpu by name: “Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630”

Edit: I just realized my card number is slightly different, so not exactly the same.

What does your Logs/gx.log say?

can’t seem to find a gx.log file, but in my system info it shows these display adapters:
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M
Intel UHD Graphics 630

This is a WoW log file; if you are on the battle.net launcher, with Burning Crusade Classic selected in the lower left drop down, click the [Gear Icon next to Play] > [Reveal in Finder] to bring up Burning Crusade Classic’s installation directory. There should be a Logs folder in there, and then a gx.log file inside of that folder.

Update, working for me now with the intel graphics, I didn’t notice the note about retyping the quotes when copying and pasting from the forum. FPS kinda sucks with the integrated graphics though.

I’m having the same problem, crash on TBC Classic client launch.

MAC OS Catalina
version 10.15.7 (19H1615)

Anyone with Big Sur or Monterey seeing the same problem?

Yep, this is hopefully only a temporary bandaid until it gets fixed.

Exact same issue. 2019 macbook pro on catalina using an AMD 5500M. I suspect they didn’t test with this GPU at all.

I have to hard reboot for my machine to be responsive again.

App freezes on login screen and have to hard reboot, and then I had this error message:

CommandLine Parse Error: psn_0_57358(0): Invalid argument: psn_0_57358

Hey everyone,

I found it odd that so many reports have come in for this since the update today. It seems the AMD Radeon Pro 5500M is a common factor here yet I’m not sure if that’s true for everyone posting here. Typically a full system crash or restart is outside what we’d have much to assist with, yet based on these reports I’ve poked the developers and will update back if I hear anything.

In the mean time, can anyone who’s affected by this reply with their OS version and their GPU in the system?

4 Likes

Catalina 10.15.7 (19H2)
64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
AMD Radeon Pro 5600M 8 GB

It was actually an issue on the PTR but I just ignored it thinking it would get fixed :frowning:

OS X Catalina 10.15.7
2019 16 inch macbook pro (Intel i9)
64GB RAM
AMD Radeon 5500M

It has to be due to catalina and AMD 5500M. I actually updated to Monterey and it did work (but I’m rolling back to Catalina for work).

So I believe it’s a Catalina/AMD 5500M specific problem.

To add to this though, I have been playing Burning Crusade Classic on this same system for weeks now with no issue. It was only this morning when I went to start Burning Crusade Classic that this issue started happening. Retail still works fine, even using the AMD card.

Edit: So pretty much yea, what you said seems to be the case (except that I have 5600M).

Macbook Pro (16”, 2019)
OS Catalina Ver. 10.15.7
Processor 2.4 GHz 8-core Intel Core i9
Memory 32GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Graphics AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB

having the same issue after today’s update
macOS Big Sur Ver 11.2.3

I was having this same problem and so I updated to Monterey from Catalina and now I can at least launch the client. I have a different problem now which is that all water appears discolored though.

Graphics AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB
OSX Catalina → Monterey