Target nameplate range cap in BGs

Was hoping by some miracle it would be fixed after today’s maintenance. My hopes were too high haha

2 Likes

It’s scary to wake up blind, at least we ALL are, guess I can adapt, makes being an experienced base sitter less valuable for sure. I hope they fix this this is like playing classic in pvp now…“where’s the efc” …f*** idk? WHO’S THE EFC???

2 Likes

I kind of like it honestly. I’ve always felt that being able to target people across the entire map and see their nameplates is a bit lame. It’s like having ESP / wall hacks.

2 Likes

With addons like battleground target making it even easier.

I don’t think it’s working as they intended/meant to be this way. They broke it like this before and restored it back a bit later on.

1 Like

NGL, many years ago I posted the same exact sentiment here but over time I have definitely changed my opinion on this one.

I think the ability to track nameplates leads to more and better fights at objectives and makes thing less likely that games are just going to be determined by who has more stealth or which team has better guesswork and luck rather than planning and strategy.

Of course, without nameplates to achieve the same information you would need to have people scouting on voice comms together. It was that way in vanilla, where WSG was often a game of “Where’s Waldo?”

When running flags in vanilla, I would find a corner somewhere and /sleep such that the flag was obscured in a wall. You could end up having people practically running right by you and not notice. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

This is not good Hope they fix it soon!

1 Like

I think it’s cheating enabled by addons.

Without addons(BGE) you would have to /tar *name

The EFC isn’t supposed to be visible, thats the point, they only appear on the map after some time.

Addons remove alot of basic awareness skill requirements. No need to look around with your camera or the map. Just select the enemy in the addon frame and you can see where he is with a giant health bar.

1 Like

Base UI (under the map) allowed you to click on both FCs and see the nameplate without BGE. I agree that addons can hamper overall awareness, but there are quite a few things that the base game doesn’t handle well that need to be tracked. Particular in a BG, since you can’t really keep track of who has what cooldowns or DRs when engaging in a fight.

If it is a 1v1 duel where both are starting fresh, then sure… you can mentally track cooldown timers.

2 Likes

IMO, it’s more fun if the EFC can hide or try to sneak around.

When everyone has pseudo x-ray vision from 100 miles away, it’s less interesting.

The hide-and-seek aspect is completely gone.

2 Likes

please a hotfix here blizz ty in advance

1 Like

This is why I don’t bother with most addons.

This isn’t an addon issue, though. It’s a base game issue. You could see nameplates across the field without BGE.

4 Likes

This is game breaking for me as someone that ganks players while flying around and not being able to find them hiding is absolutely terrible.

4 Likes

Was just about to post about this: this issue is absolutely awful in BGs/WPvP! It has become instrumental to click on a player and see where they are, ally or enemy.

Everyone here is talking about not being able to find the enemy FC on the map, which I absolutely agree should be allowed, but what about your allies? I see a healer or our FC dying and click on their name to see where I have to go and now… good luck sir/ma’am because now I have to open the map and hover over players to find you. @_@

7 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought default was always 60 yards max for targeting plates?

Before this change/bug, you could target and bring up a nameplate from anywhere in a BG.

I also use a Weakaura that displays their approximate distance in yards from me, mostly so I can quickly determine whether an ally is out of range of a heal and how far I need to move to get to them.

3 Likes

nope you could click on a player if you have spy and it shows you there nameplate through walls matter how far the distance is as long as you can click on their name.

1 Like

Major mind vision buff. TY blizzard. Priests of WoW rejoice. Bust open those spellbooks and lay claim to your utility.

4 Likes

I like using Eagle Eye.

2 Likes