Tanks that get lost in dungeons

I have this 45 warrior that was my first Classic toon gathering dust and I’m thinking of maybe tanking with him. I have noticed a chronic shortage of tanks and I don’t mind taking on the role, but I’m wondering about what I will be expected to know. There’s a lot of very confusing dungeon layouts (Mara, Sunken Temple, etc) and I always get lost in them. Are more experienced dungeon members willing to point to way or am I expected to know the ins and outs of every dungeon before I set foot in them?

It doesn’t matter much who knows the dungeon layout, so long as someone does. Tank or anyone else works.

There’s addons that show dungeon maps too. I’d recommend looking them up and grabbing one!

3 Likes

As a tank myself, I always had a map on my second screen. Easy to navigate. After a few runs I didn’t need the maps anymore.

When leveling a non tank, if they looked lost I’d ask if they need a hand navigating. No shame in admiting you still have things to learn.

5 Likes

I’m considered one of the top dungeon tanks on Grob. I think knowing the dungeon layout is more important as tank because everything else falls in place once you have that down. If you don’t know the layout express it at the start. The most important part of tanking a dungeon your unfamiliar with is to know how to LOS pull if the pack has ranged mobs. Groups love tanks that group up mobs and even if you don’t know a dungeon layout, showing confidence goes a long way for groups. I forgot to mention, always make sure your mage and healer both have a healthy Mana pool before every pull.

2 Likes

Just tell people you don’t remember this dungeon and they will help you out. People are just happy to have a tank for the most part.

10 Likes

Typically it’s fine unless you are w a bunch of douches, just be honest up front, someone will know the way

1 Like

Find another person who knows their way around the dungeons and buddy up. In general I tank with my husband in the group, he knows these dungeons inside out.

Just tell your group at the start that you do not know where to go.
Find which person(s) know the way to go and get directions.

This goes for everyone. I have had people just not say that they have no idea where to go and end up agroing mobs and wiping the group which is really frustrating, saying nothing to stop people getting mad at you wont stop them getting mad when you make a mistake later on.

Any addon specifically?

Would love to get one that opens the dungeon map when I click the map button, instead of showing me the continent.

TANKS THAT GET LOST IN DUNGEONS

Are not good tanks.

3 Likes

Not a surprise to see the undead rogue has the Negative and unhelpful comment

8 Likes

I’m not a tank, but after leveling 3 toons to 60, sunken temple is the only one that still confuses me. I have a basic idea of how it works, but I could never lead the way in there.

Tanks are the de facto leader of groups. If you start leading your teammates in the wrong direction, they will lose some faith in you and start acting out or taking command. If you’re fine with that, go for it…

just say “haven’t run this in a while anyone know the way” or just invite an impatient mage who will be pulling regardless

3 Likes

just invite an impatient mage who will be pulling regardless

:rofl:

Truth

Not a surprise to see the undead rogue has the Negative and unhelpful comment

I’m kidding. Relax.

Most people will actually help you out with pulls, etc… don’t worry too much as long as you can hold threat.

Perhaps, it’s just my Server, but the folks are kind of enough to know the way, if not, get lost with you but still hold out stamina to finish the dungeon.

At the very least, try to research somewhat, even if you’ll forget. Though, IK my way around all of the dungeons and have no issues pointing out the way.

On my first attempt at a Classic mage, we had to brainstorm to figure out the way through Wailing Caverns, but we got there eventually. People are pretty relaxed most of the time because kicking a tank is like shooting yourself in the foot.

No one is going to care if the tank is lost. They’re just going to be happy to have a tank.

3 Likes

People are just going to be happy to have a tank. Let them know its your first time and or first time tanking there. They’ll be happy to help.

3 Likes