Tanks Shouldn't need healers, there are DPS for that

I mean… Bliz tried this S1 of Shadowlands and it was terrible. Its reasonable to assume it’ll go the same way again.

Infinite scaling keeps breaking the trinity and how roles interact with each other.

It’s inherent to the system, they need to just decide on a design and stick with it.

Everything about the changes to tanks and healers is centered around mythic+.

2 Likes

I feel like for far too long, DKs have been shat on because our niche has been largely spread around all the tanks and arguably better by some tanks while we’ve lacked the raw mitigation they enjoyed. Tanks having niches are good.

DKs should be the undisputed self sustain tank followed by druids. Prot paladins should be 3rd with less self healing but much stronger group healing. The stated changes look extremely aggressive though that even mid tiers of content are likely going to be incredibly painful to transition to (not to mention the scores of bad/lazy healers who cry to be more useful and/or more of a healbot but really just want to be an follow afk lootbot while 4 other people clear the place for them)

I have no faith Blizzard is going to get tuning right at the start but do absolutely trust that they’ll react as they normally do with sledgehammer nerfs and/or buffs. It won’t be enough to dispel the early stigmas of whose “viable/unviable” by spreadsheet dork standards, but content the literal 99% are meant to be capable of doing will be doable with more or less reasonable success.

People need to also remember Blizzard will always err on the side of people being weak and/or encounters being too strong because they want the option to tune accordingly vs buffing an encounter after the fact. Some no life mythic tryhard raiders no doubt are chomping at the bit to reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee about the handful of times encounters got harder via tuning and/or bug fixes after some prominent kill got done after the fact.

I like how they look at the shortage of tanks and decide to nerf tanks. :dracthyr_hehe_animated:

1 Like

:man_shrugging:

I’m of the mind that the game isn’t and shouldn’t be balanced around prestige areas of the game like keys outside of the reward range.

If things get harder for people in 19 keys the majority is never going to notice it. If it becomes impossible to do a 10 then you have a problem.

If this change makes it more fun to play in 10s but less fun for people in 19s…well…net benefit to the game, sorry.

1 Like

Tank Tuning in The War Within - In Development / The War Within Beta Test - World of Warcraft Forums (blizzard.com)

1 Like

Everyone should need Everyone in the group. It’s a team game not a solo game and it should be balanced around that.

3 Likes

Looks like we’re back to our s1 shadowlands kite meta

If making tanks immortal and letting healers spend the majority of the run DPSing didn’t balance out the queue numbers, I don’t think anything ever will. Might as well make tank and healer feel more like a classic MMO again.

2 Likes

They didn’t though is the thing, they were either covering minor avoidable damage taken by the group or major unavoidable damage. The only time healers are able to just DPS for the majority of the run is if the rest of the group can lock down the pull so much so that it doesn’t do anything relevant to anyone except the tank.

That’s an issue of having too much cc / control more than anything.

2 Likes

Well they’re trying so there’s that. But personally, I’m not sure it’s the right direction.

Taking agency away from tanks means the largest health pool w/ low-but-constant damage intake (Guardian Druid presumably) and the best HoT (Resto Druid) will sit at the top for a while.

Pure speculation mind you.

Instead, I think healers just need a more critical role in general. Like DPS that matters. Or mechanics only they can do at the price of sacrificing all that random “expected” healing.

The bottom line is, I’m not really sure healers have a place in WoW anymore. It’s probably time for Holy Priest/Paladin to be the only healers and the rest to go 90% support, 10% heals or something.

1 Like

Tanks have been healed by healers for like 90% of this game’s existance :dracthyr_shrug:

Then why post?

1 Like

The biggest problem Blizzard needs to overcome is their catering to the eSports crowd. When they started focusing on that, they dug their own pit and now they are stuck in it.

1 Like

You’re not understanding the difference between “avoid” and “take none.”

Right, the huge shocks non tanks take are a problem. This is not an either/or thing the way you are representing it. All numbers are convertible.

I think BDK is badly designed and is part of the reason this whole issue is close to impossible to solve.

Things that are fatal to non tanks, are background noise to tanks. That divide is the false equivalency you’ve made without realizing it.

This doesn’t refute my point, it exemplifies it. You have to push into content that is on the margins of what gear and classes were designed to do, but are reachable through infinite scaling and player ability. Gigapulls are a result of tanks being overpowered. Keys that stray damage can 1 shot are overpowered.

You’re afraid that if you lose that, you won’t have anything to do, without realizing that the reason you want things the way they are is to compensate for these things. You have it exactly backwards.

Does that mean we could run a dungeon with 5 tanks instead?

1 Like

If there was a way we could get players to respect healers more then all would be fine. Unfortunately :pensive:.

Btw, you wanna try to do some stuff together next expansion? I can be the probably never available Windwalker/Rogue anything/Derpadin/Almost anything but Hunter to your will-totally-be-respected healer.

1 Like

lol Yes I’d enjoy that!

1 Like

Tanks should need healers on a TBC live level from back in the day, change my mind.

5 tank groups can time fairly high keys.

2 Likes