Tanks don't want to rely on healers

That is the difference between tanks who watch the MDI for the first time vs tanks who have played the role at a higher level and pay attention.

1 Like

This isn’t reinforcing the group dynamic, it is gutting tank agency and functionality.

9 Likes

Do you mean most durable? Why yes thats why I play a tank. I want to survive things no one else can at the expense of my dps.

What you want to be the true main character and be able to kill everything before it can even touch you? What a surprise.

1 Like

You realise I could copy paste this and replace healer with dps or a tank and it would be a valid response right?

Its fun being able to save the +20 key. It was usually only 5% to maybe 10% though and only on some bosses as others still had more than enough to kill a tank without a healer.

Now I might give it a second go but definitely not a third and so on. I’ll just drop group. I hate to be the elite guy but maybe just don’t die.

As a side note though this isn’t even limited to just tanks. I’ve finished the last 3% of a heroic raid boss as a Hunter, I’ve tanked bosses as affliction in Legion etc.

3 Likes

But standing around spamming your basic heal non stop cause everything else is on cooldown till you get carpel tunnel is the healers job like who wouldn’t want to do that like doesn’t sound lime such fun and amazing gameplay. /s

5 Likes

I don’t know what tuning looks like… my guess is they want to move away from heavy aoe damage punishing the more brittle dps classes and moving the damage more onto the tanks?

Honestly this is something we likely have to see play out on live.

Also tbc and tbcc had tanks charging for runs. Not carries…jsut to be there.

Now while leveling, normal and heroic have rdf/lfd…m+ doesnt. Some may not want to go back to those old days.

I know in tbcc it was just funny as hell. You had 2 choices.

Pay the mage booster knowing yeah its kind of not in the spirit of the game.

Or pay the tank the damn same price.

Winner…booster. 25 to 50 gold the booster would let you sit and chill. also many didn’t HR. FFA runs…they got paid and didn’t need to hoard drops lol. Some tanks were charging and calling HR.

2 Likes

Most durable doesn’t mean “doesn’t need a healer”

6 Likes

It may come as a shock but when you’re playing group content with dedicated roles you’re kind of required to play nice and work together. I know, the audacity. In FFXIV for some odd reason there’s a “Healer strike” going on because tanks have too many self healing options, All because a party without any healers managed to clear dungeons and raids. I’ve said it there and I’ll say it here, while I might be able to tank without any healers, indeed probably solo the boss with just the tank. I’d rather have a healer I can rely on to keep my stupid self alive.
Because like I said, “Team effort”

3 Likes

We’re either looking at the changes not really changing anything or a repeat of Shadowlands Season 1. They don’t have enough time to get this right, especially when you have tanks that mitigate by healing themselves.

Then they shouldn’t be playing tanks.

Healers healing tank is an integral part of literally every single MMO.

Just because WoW lost the plot of the show over the past few expansions doesn’t mean fixing it is a bad thing.

12 Likes

Relying on healers is not the problem.

Having to kite to survive from one GCD to the next is the problem.

Don’t forget healers got nerfed. They don’t heal for 50% of a tank’s healthbar in a single cast anymore.

Get ready to chase your tanks around as they kite. That’s what these changes mean. And yes you will be blamed if you fall out of range because the tank has no choice and you need to keep up.

7 Likes

Personally i am looking forward to being able to blame the healer again if i die.

“HEALZ?!?”

2 Likes

And it’s integral to WoW already, unless you’re either (a) playing with a FOTM OP tank (which SHOULD be nerfed, on a spec by spec basis), and/or (b) doing trivial content where nobody can die.

9 Likes

Tanks rely on healers already.

Everyone on the team relies on everyone else on that team, it’s a group not individuals.

4 Likes

I don’t have an issue relying on healers when things go pear shaped due to messing up mechanics or somehow too many get pulled at once.

That said, I don’t want to be chained to the healer to the point I can’t even handle a small pack (3 mobs ore less) if the healer needs to drink.

Paladins are also a tank that, until we can get gear with a lot of versatility/while we are relying more on our mastery, the kite meta is a bit of a bane. We are a tank that is made more for the set up kill zone and plant feet.

3 Likes

Correct. The problem is that that only works in an ideal world. Unfortunately we do not live in such a world. As a direct result of which, tank players want to retain as much independence of their own survivability as possible. Consider it a matter of control. By relying more on others, you expose yourself to an external point of failure you have no control over, i.e. the abilities of a 3rd party. Does that stance potentially conflict with the concept of the Holy Trinity of wow? Yes.

Now don’t get me wrong. I have no dog in this fight. I’m just explaining why so many tank players are butthurt about this new nerf.

1 Like

Like, I get what Blizzard are going for but it’s an incredibly thin line they’re walking between Tanks being unkillable gods if played well and “S1 Shadowlands where you actively can’t tank more than one mob without cooldowns or you’ll get flattened”.

The more popular power level is the former, where you live or die based on your own play and not die because the healer was picking their nose.

5 Likes

hopefully we get back to how it was when raiding and dungeons were the most fun .

10 Man raids - 2 tanks , 3 healers -one for each tank and 1 for teh DPS , and 5 dps scaling up to the 30 man when it was 2 tanks 6 healers -3 1/2 for tanks 2 1/2 for dps - and 22 dps. Tanks tanked , healers healed and DPS killed stuff .

In dugeons well over half the healing done was directed to the tanks and kiting was a big part of being a tank skill list

2 Likes