Tanking should have more incentives

we don’t have enough tanks, and we know that is one of the less prefer position of the triad.

Party:

• 3 dps, 1 healers and 1 tank.

Raid:

• 2 tanks, 3 healers Bunch of dps

Tank have to:

• Know the mechanics better than anyone else.
  • Keep track of the agro that the rest is doing, there is always the dumb one that starts with the most powerful spell and getting attack by an enemy (to later on blame the tank for not doing agro)
  • Know the path of the dudgeon for exact percentage to get to the last boss
  • Know the path in BFA of the obelisk since no DPS want to guide.
  • In raids if a DPS mess up well we have a bunch more, if a healer die, well we still have some back up heals of from a dps that can throw a heals here in there( druids, shamans etc…) if a tank mess up… well we have 28 people complaining

All that much responsibility!

Having personal loot at the same probability than anyone else in the raid is not fair.

in LFGroup you get a little bit of cash and a bag of secret stuff that must of the time is the enhancement rock that give you extra stat for 1hr (buff gone if you die)

Tanks should be in another loot table, should have access to more transmogs, there should be more/better incentives to be a tank in the game to draw more players to at least try it. with that the rest of the players don’t have to wait for hours till a tank decide to show up; is very frustrating having a few hours to play during the day, to spend time just waiting for another player to decide to join. to pool should be bigger so we can all enjoy the game.

What do you think guys?

• as DPS how you think about this solution?
  • as Tanks how you think about this solution?
  • as Healers do you think something should apply to you as well?
16 Likes

This tanking problem only exists in pugging. If you dont want to experience it join a guild or be a tank.

24 Likes

And to do the 4 horsemen you need 8 tanks. How about the game stops dictating how players should play?

even in a guild having dedicated tanks, the pools is small, and is part of raid night, you can only kill the raid bosses once a week, so is no like you are in constant need, 1 night and is done, what about the rest of the week?

3 Likes

Tanks used to have awesome rewards

You could get pets/mounts out of the CTA bag, but dps cried as usual so now it’s just the stat rocks

14 Likes

Why would I want tanks to have an even bigger overly inflated ego.

And what do I think? Don’t know, I have to wait around on a que. Something tanks don’t have to…

You could always ask your tank to do his weekly mythic+ with you. If you need a tank more than for raid and a mythic or two then become one. I personally love how scarce they are, if I need to pug something I just swap roles and bam instant queue.

2 Likes

All roles should know the mechanics well.

Most tanks I know find raid tanking pretty darn easy, with a few specific exceptions. I usually heal, but I’ve also tanked & dps’d raids, and I’d say dpsing well is harder than tanking.

I will say tanking M+ is significantly harder, more due to the responsibilities of pacing and pathing.

1 Like

Tanks generally have the easiest job. I would know. I tanked from TBC to MoP, and briefly in Legion, and I started tanking again here at the end of BfA. It isn’t hard to use some mitigation abilities, move to the side, and taunt off your buddy when he has too many stacks of x debuff on him. Tanking used to be a little harder when positioning mattered, but that’s basically a thing of the past. Tanking in M+ isn’t a challenge either. You just pull as fast as your party can keep up until your healer runs out of mana, give it 10 seconds, then start again. The pressure is primarily on the DPS to do their jobs and the healers to keep on top of the damage dumb dumbs take.

4 Likes

Tanking isn’t that difficult, in raid a lot of time we have less mechanics than the dps. Mostly it’s “swap at this many stacks,” “stand over there,” don’t get cleaved.” Monitoring threat isn’t really a thing anymore, knowing routes for m+ is something everyone pushing higher keys knows. As for queues for lfg, the instant queues are pretty much incentive enough to play tank.

6 Likes

Yes! More for tanks! Ice cream delivered to their house for every LFD they do! Cake for LFR!

2 Likes

I love tanking. Yet, I basically never do it.

The reason I don’t usually tank has absolutely nothing to do with incentives.

It 100% has to do with the way people behave.

17 Likes

I tank because it’s fun. Admittedly, I didn’t do mythic dungeons (took a hiatus) and I’ll say the whole needing to know the %, paths, etc is intimidating, but I plan on making my own groups in sl specifying it’s for learning, people newer to mythic, etc.

Perfect solution? No, probably not. But I’m sure it’ll be ok! Lots of people probably also will need to learn the content or simply will want a group in general. Adventure happens outside your comfort zone!

I’d just play tank more if it was viable in PvP.

Brewmaster has been a joke in PvP this entire expansion, maybe now would be a good time to try again and see what I can do.

Make tanks competitive with dps, and people will play tanks again.

Otherwise, nothing will really work.

If it’s not fun to play a tank, it’s not fun to play one.

1 Like

You mean, “Become the problem! Pass it on to everybody else!”

Raiders who need a tank for something can always find some chump in the guild to tank for them who is hoping that some consideration will come his way the next time the guild needs a tank.

The new paradigm is the old one: there are enough tanks for raiding, so it doesn’t matter if there’s a single tank out there for randoms or pugs. I guess all those people should just quit.

The actual issue is that the devs’ obsession with forcing people to play the game with harsh restrictions results in fewer tanks and healers for pug groups. Before devs got into the full control freak mode, a fair number of dps would look at their queue time and just switch over to tank for faster queues. They weren’t all great tanks, but they got better just by tanking. And having people play multiple roles and understand what people who play other roles go through is actually good for the game. It builds community when people understand what the tank and healer need to do, so they can have an understanding and work together, rather than just attacking people who can’t find a tank and blaming them for the game design that made this happen.

Most of the people who are in guilds are not star raiders. The really good people in their guild don’t have time to take from their own progression to help someone they don’t know who cannot reciprocate. Most people who join guilds still have to pug all their own content.

2 Likes

Eh this isn’t true for raids. Each roll has different mechanics to keep track of and dps and healers have way more to worry about.

The lack of appeal of tanking is that your life is mostly out of your hands. Healers babysit tanks and dps needs to do their job well enough so healers don’t have to stop healing the tank or go OOM. A tank has a rotation and if they do damage, great, but their main job is to soak damage and be babysat. I sometimes felt I needed a mini game outside of my rotation to not get bored.

I feel like we lose a lot of potential tanks when they are leveling and most tanks just refuse to tank for pugs anymore and there are reasons for this. I think it’s less about rewards and more about the attitudes of the people playing the other roles.

7 Likes

Which I find interesting and wonder where it falls apart. I’ve only had one dungeon (as a healer) recently where people were rude to one another. Overall, it’s usually silence.

I guess in the harder difficulties the pressure puts people on edge though. Terrible shame, because lots of times a chill group makes for fun runs!

No one tanks pugs because people are awful to pug tanks. I will never tank because dealing with these jerks is not worth the hassle.

7 Likes

It’s all good till you say something. As soon as you make any sort of comment about ya know, your group letting you tank or asking them to let you pull you can count on one of them ripping your head off.

I think for me it’s more annoying because I am a veteran of the game and I will pull wall to wall and when I’m pulling full rooms at a time and you’re still pulling for me, you are just ignorant and I don’t like you. With the changes you can’t really do that anymore but DPS still insist.

1 Like