Tanking should have more incentives

Maybe for m+.

IN raiding tanking is kinda, not very engaging.

The separate loot table you speak of where “tanks get more” than healers or dps would just create an uproar among players that primarily choose those non-tank roles. As you point out, tanks are scarce so the majority voice will be that of non-tanks. Blizz isn’t going to go for that kind of upset in the player base.

Regarding your statement about it be frustrating to only have a few hours to play and waiting for a tank eats into that time… it sounds like you yourself have not tanked. I have pug-tanked and for the most part it’s been fine, but I don’t prefer to tank for the reasons that others have mentioned… if you’re not fast enough or you make a mistake plenty of non-tank players are very critical or simply rude. I generally drop group if anyone trash talks–I don’t need that headache when I’m trying to have fun. The incentive-to-tank problem is not that the rewards should be higher, it’s that non-tank players should be less rude in a casual pug.

2 Likes

Terrible shame. I haven’t been exposed to that much, maybe a few times if I’m taking a less efficient route or seem to be a little hesitant. While I don’t necessarily adore it, so long as the healer is okay and isn’t complaining and I can pull us through, it’s not been awful.

But I also realize the difference between these experiences, and the considerable issues that can arise. Think people are a little too caught up in the gogogo mentality and forget we’re all people trying to get through it.

1 Like

Nailed it.

As of late I just turn my chat off and let them deal with what they pull and continue on. That is quite entertaining to say the least because people are being thrown into BFA for starter dungeons. Luckily if I’m leveling a tank I bring my own healer and know what they are capable of otherwise you are stuck letting the healer set the pace. You can do a big pull early on and tell if they are going to be capable of managing the healing and mana or if they are just learning.

I don’t think DPS watch those kind of things cause GO GO GO, but a good tank watches those things and nothing irks me more then a healer being oom or clearly struggling and DPS making it harder on them, especially leveling because ya know, sometimes people are new and want to learn and we should be more kind to those people, but no one cares. It’s a ME ME ME GO GO GO game.

2 Likes

I like the idea of tanking as in enduring more enemies at once than a dps, and padding AoE meters, but I don’t like the social aspect of it. WoW is an old game, and there are a lot of toxic perfectionists who don’t forgive mistakes. And tanking puts your mistakes out there for everyone to see.

Blizzard can help this a little bit by making tanking as straightforward as possible, by making dungeons linear without “gotchas” for example. (In fact I think that any sort of “gotchas” for newbies is a bad design for any group content except for a tightknit group of friends).

I also think Blizzard can do a better job of attracting similarly skilled players together. Toxicity really comes in when there’s a big experience gap between players in a group. Maybe they can calculate some metrics and suggest groups to join or players to invite based on players own experience. Like, “here’s a list of players that haven’t done any mythic dungeon yet, but are looking to do it.” Then you as a new tank can pick those players and work things out together and maybe even start a friendship or two.

Why is vanilla so cherished for social interaction? Because everyone started at the same level not knowing anything.

Another source of toxicity is when difficulty is too hard for the group. Ashes of Creation is another mmorpg and they apparently have a system that dynamically adjusts difficulty based on the groups performance. Maybe Blizzard can take a hint from this as well. M+ is already similar, but maybe it can update right there inside the dungeon based on the groups performance so far. And then at the end, everyone will receive points based on how well they’ve done. Similar to raider IO but more granular and consumed by the game itself to suggest similarly skilled players to group in the future.

1 Like

It’s all anecdotes, but I tanked pugs a lot more often back when tank bags were actually good. Like somewhere between 10-25x more often.

The badge system was good for it too, since I could farm tokens like crazy as a tank and then use the badges to spruce up my DPS set.

4 Likes

They shouldn’t quit they should either fill the need to be a tank, by multi-specing (I agree multispeccing had become harder because the games systems like azerite over the years but even when that wasn’t the case tanks were scarce) or make friends in the MMORPG that they are playing. I agree that the design of the game has made these things harder to do but those two options are the most effective in thee current iteration of the game. They solution proposed by the OP is equivalent to “throw money at it until it fixes” which will not solve the tank drought.

If I had a Tinker class that could Tank in a Mech suit, I’d tank all day and never reroll.

I’m pretty sure it’s 4 healers where one dps can heal for some fights for Mythic comps. They might use only 3 healers on some fights maybe.

As long as tanks have to dictate pull size and run speed, and can’t just “go with the flow” like a dps, its going to be the least played role relative to demand.

I’d start running M+ right now if I could just be along for the ride as a tank, not taking any sort of proactive leadership role while managing to contribute like I can on a BM hunter.

1 Like

I dont think tanks need more incentive.
All this does is get people who attempt to tank only for the extra rewards, often leading to failure, because they dont actually like or want to tank.

The solution to the tanking problem is for people to treat tanks better overall. Most people dont tank for fear of being flamed when they make a mistake. thats it.

2 Likes

My experience is there are more people to tank than the ones that do on raid night. Those just tend to be the ones that tank more often.

My guild has 2 or 3 dedicated tanks for raids, but we probably have at least a dozen people that can do it if needed. I run two classes I can tank on when needed, but I usually prefer to stay DPS more often.

One thing that doesn’t help is raids only require about half of the tank to group ratio as dungeons. This means to not have tanks bottleneck the queue, a lot of those tanks would need to be using their OS.

Bring back vengeance, let tanks do stupid damage again.

4 Likes

give tanks a guaranteed piece of loot or something actually worthwhile

thus far the only extra bonus has been worthless stuff like tiny bits of gold and tiny bits of whatever endless grind borrowed power AP system

1 Like

aye brewmasters were designed from the ground up to be pure crap in pvp

The gold from the call to arms is actually not half bad. You get 950g for a 20 minute heroic.

Having to deal with RNGesus less on a non-dps role would incentivize me to play non-dps more. As it stands, I’d rather just play a DPS since world quests are just as good as queueable dungeons and possibly even M0.

1 Like

buddy 3k gold per hour isn’t remotely enough, not for the effort and certainly not in this gold buying bloated prices wow economy

TON of players just buy gold and don’t care about it from any other source unless it is massive

5k gold per run would START being persuasive, 10k would definitely get some peeps in there - but more than anything, people want something that forwards their progression - i.e. loot or really really big chunks of the AP system instead of slivers

2 Likes

Because blizz keeps butchering tank specs to the point they are unfun tedious and slow.I preferred wrath when i could clear a heroic in 5mins not 20+ even mop was better than this.

2 Likes