Talking Shop: What Weakness do you Feel Plague the Mistwaever

As Monk players… I am curious as to what the Monk community feels is our weaknesses in both Mythic+ and Raiding situations in regards to healing.

Our mastery’s affect on our kit is probably the biggest weakness of the spec.

its use and ability to heal is completely dependent on group size and damage intake.

In pvp gust is a good stat because it gives you the most st healing with the least investment.

In raids its a very weak stat up until recently when they added gusts to revival (but venthyr mw killed it again)

and in dungeons its a great healing stat, but its value shifts hard from 0-15 keys to 20+ keys where in lower keys the more on demand healing matches the failure damage that is prone in that mark, but come higher keys you start to quickly run into the issue of trying to push out damage, which mastery does the opposite of.

Like above Mistweaver has a very swingy use case for its mastery, and worse so it only affects a few healing spells instead of all of them, so mw is also in a position where its spot healing is drastically weaker without any mastery, and its aoe healing will go down a lot if you start to hard stack it.

I would like to see blizzard redesign gusts, or perhaps create an additional party to the mastery that affects all spells at a lower amount, be it % of the spells themselves, or a more flat amount normalized on every spell.

1 Like

I don’t really like soothing mist. Or the bonus healing from EvM. I think MW would feel better to play if it were rebalanced around not having those two.

Also EvM overheating is a pain.

These aren’t really problems just personal dislikes.

1 Like

MW feels like a spec that would make sense if damage wasn’t an important asset that healers must bring.

The spec feels worse to play than a resto druid doing catweaving for damage. Having to stop and channel just feels bad. It’s disruptive to the flow of the gameplay.

1 Like

Give mistweaver corrosive dosage to add extra damage from their healing :B

Bonus benefit, if you’re casting it on a player already in melee it doesnt require repositioning.

2 Likes

Give a modifier to rising sun kick that causes, “broken bones.” It would cause the target to be slowed and take damage over time. That would give MW added utility and damage.

2 Likes

Probably doesn’t help that all of our effective dps abilities are physical and we don’t have ways to become temporarily better with them either. Or that SCK doesn’t effect the primary dps rotation at all.

As far as utility I really miss the Legion power that made the transcendence soul slow everything, that was a fun thing to mess around with.

EDIT: As far as the OP; I still don’t really like Essence Font. The wide area healing is both weak individually and strong overall, and I really feel like the spec could do better with a more classical 6 target heal.

Add SCK to ATotM would be great for m+ lol

I would love that! Haha… Torghast bound!

Some thoughts I have had recently…

It seems we are in a good spot when it comes to healing overall. I also feel that the double leggo is going to provide us some serious style of game alterations.

With that in mind, there needs to be some talent reworks for our class at the end of this expansion. I feel like AToTM should be a talent and on the same row, you could choose another talent that makes it more viable to sit back and heal.

ATOTM= Making it so we can fistweave with increased damage and mana gained from that playstyle.
???= Making it so that our healing spells do not cost as much, meaning we can sit back and heal without worrying about being OOM.

In essence you are trading dmg and mana management for a loss in dmg but not having the threat of going OOM as easily.

It should be noted that when we are talking about progression in Raid Mistweaver have solid dps (top 2/3) but when it comes to keys we are big bad.

Its actually funny. The approach, at least how it feels, is instead of giving mistweaver the ability to increase their damage for short periods of time it seems they have given us the ability to increase UPTIME of it while healing, Think atotm, rising mist, and Invoke, Chi-ji the Red Crane, but in the case of pushing keys the uptime on healer dps is already insane. If we talk about in raid then we can see a clear divide but not everybody cares about raid or looks at more than one metric, be that dps/hps or content type, when comparing.
IE if someone only plays m+ then raid stuff doesn’t matter to them but does for overall game design.

TBH depending on the group and how far they go the DPS uptime on MW can actually be a positive.

I will also say while it hurts right now we are also the LEAST dependent on borrowed power to do damage out of the 2 major m+ healers (shaman/paladin)
Think about when 10.0 drops, paladin loses AH and legos, Resto shaman loses vesper totem, kyrian lego, and earthquake lego. These would be massive damage decreases while MW damage hardly moves at all

Soothing mist has to be off global cooldown like it was for 6 years after they came out. Right now because mw monks cast nearly everything using soothing mist first you have to wait for 2 GCD’s before the heal actaully happens, the soothing mist GCD and the next enveloping mist or vivify or whatever GCD too. Whereas other classes only have to use 1 GCD for their abilities and have many instant heals.
Right now in a raid by the time you get your soothing mist on the target and wait for that GCD to end before you can cast the actual heal, some other healer has already healed your target with one of their many instant healing spells on 1 gcd…

Wait why are you using soothing mist before every cast? You should only soothing mist a target that’s gonna take continued dmg over a few seconds, also the only two spells you cast in SM are ENVM and vivify, those two heals aren’t even going to be in your top 5 for raid logs usually. You aren’t saving time by using soothing mist before another case, I think there’s a guide on peak that explains why in greater details.

Expel harm too.
Okay I was kind of focussing more on pvp really I don’t raid much. But mw can’t quickly heal low party members as much as others can. Also the healing mainly comes from small amounts of aoe healing. They’re probably just useful healing tanks only outside of their constant aoe. From what I’ve seen the only reason for a mw to ever be in a raid is revival, it’s an amazing asset in a raid. They need a massive rework in both pvp and pve.

This is the state of mw now, they only have little aoe heals like jade wind, essence font maybe the odd rising sun kick with the heal and chi burst which are mainly the only thinsg to use inbetween healing the tank and using revival. They’re good for keeping upheals on tanks only, but it’s only revival that puts them on the healing meter during the encounter. They need to buff mw aoe heals for raiding and mythic+ for sure.

? Uh im usually 1st or 2nd so idk what you are talking about lol. MW in raid atm doesn’t have a healing problem lol. If you don’t raid much then you probably shouldn’t be talking about things you don’t know.

Also revival isn’t why MWs are brought, atm we just have insane throughput in raid, idk if you were just trolling but you seem to not be doing your research as far pve goes to make these statements.

Fine, okay then…

“but it’s only revival that puts them on the healing meter during the encounter. They need to buff mw aoe heals for raiding and mythic+ for sure.”

Revival is never my top healing spell in raids or M+. In raids, out of my spells, it is always Essence Font and Refreshing Jade Wind. However, my Fallen Order ability is a beast and is consistently on top of my healing meters.

Our AoE healing is in a good spot…

Um what? MW are not tank healers. We are aoe raid healers. If you are focusing on healing the tanks, you are wrong.

A mw will never need to focus the tank but still have the highest healing to them in the raid just with passive aoe healing.

The ONLY time you may have to focus a tank is if they screwed up a defensive and evdn than castomg 1 evm on them than continueing your normal raid healing will be all you need.

We are aoe raid healers the person claiming we are tank healers is wrong.