Taeznak's 10.0 Frost Feedback

I really like the idea of a talent that increases RP cost/damage. I used to mess with the idea of an ability to replace frost strike for 2h that would just use RP to empower your next obliterate with some frost damage, but honestly I feel like filling in the downtime with a strike is more fun than that.

Kudos to the effort put into all your work!

I agree as long as baseline spells are buffed a lil bit, eg. Remorseless winter, Obliterate, Frostscyte, Rime procs. or what not. just so outside CD’s feel better, id worry a shorter breath means longer downtime between burst in mythic+… :frowning:

yeah. frost scythe is a major meme. it’d be a significant improvement if it costed 2 runes and did 100% more dmg.

1 Like

Frostscythe really did not get the attention that it deserves. I’m not a fan of Obliterate cleave at all and Frostscythe not being a key ability in 2H’s AoE feels like a missed opportunity. It really should be affected by the talents that affect Obliterate.

Very much agree, these kinds of maintenance buffs should last at least 8s IMO.

Personally I’m hoping for a redesign of this cooldown. Losing even a couple of globals due to external factors is very punishing to your damage. This is also a symptom of the absurd damage that KM Obliterates are doing now compared to the rest of the kit.

That’s not a bad idea. I was thinking it would be nice to give frost a rampage like ability that drains a large chunk of RP and also buffs the DK.

3 Likes

The unlikely and IMO best way to fix this would be to have Obliteration KM procs have a different buff from the auto attack crit KM buff. In Classic Wrath, you can stack Deathchill (2 min cd 100% crit on one spell) and a KM proc to double Frost Strike your enemy. The game would consume the KM proc before the Deathchill buff so it could potentially proc again.

Obliteration - I feel like changing Obliteration to make Obliterate always do pure Frost damage as a passive in addition to letting us stack up 2-3 Killing Machines would go a long way in helping the entire kit and removing the overly punishing play if you’re off by a few milliseconds or get popped with some kind of mechanic right as you pop Pillar. Also, its just stupid to see Obliterate hit for 15k damage and then see it crit for 120k with a couple procs + Pillar. Thats just an asinine difference in damage. 15k non crit damage is absolutely pathetic for a 2 rune ability. Like, why am I even pressing this without KM procced? Feels really bad. Clawing Shadows does more damage than a non KM Obliterate and it only costs 1 rune, pops a wound for an extra ~50% damage and can be used at range.

BoS - I think changing BoS into a RP dump 1 cast cleave with multiple charges that do more damage based on how much RP they use would get rid of the obnoxious requirement for you to be semi-omnipotent to use it to its potential. Would also go a long way in M+ so it could do good damage without chain pulling. Its current iteration of sustained damage is more up Unholy’s alley. Frost has always been the bursty spec.

Remorseless Winter - RW should apply Razorice. 18% Frost damage is too important behind a Runeforge or Avalanche procs. The entire spec is balanced with the idea that you’ll have that up 100% of the time. 2H can get screwed and have stacks fall off and then you’re sitting there wailing away for a minute before the stacks are back up. This would also help our dogwater AoE damage from our rotational abilities and alleviate some of our ramp up. Frost is bursty. Its all about damage now.

Glacial Advance - This should be fired off automatically with KM Obliterates.

Frostwyrms Fury - Straight up, this does pathetic damage for a 3 min CD ability. It should be 1min baseline with the Absolute Zero talent taking it down to 45 seconds.

Soul Reaper - Honestly this talent needs a complete redesign. It just doesn’t work with Frost’s kit whatsoever. Frost doesn’t synergize well with 1 rune abilities.

5 Likes

300% more if you want it to be good at 3 targets. More for 2h with MotFW. Thats the kind of buff it would need due to Frostreaper and cleaving strikes.

yeah it’s gonna need so much help.

I have seen many great ideas for a rework for this ability. My favorite so far is making it auto explode when the target reaches 10% hp and auto proc if the target is under 10% hp. This would help the ability in an execute phase in PvE and in PVP since we have 0 execute pressure.

3 Likes

it at the very least needs to be included in the list of abilities on the obliteration capstone talent.

1 Like

Forgot to include that, yes! That change alone may make it worth taking in some situations. No idea why it does not already.

they probably didn’t think to add it since it’s addition as a capstone was pretty recent and frost hasn’t had it in a couple of expansions.

If you consider dead talents as talents that have no synergy with each other, then you are correct.
But Frost DK has more dead talents (talents that serve the same as other talents but are weaker)
Frost scythe should increase his dps if he wants to compete with obliteration or simply Frostsyth should disappear because currently if you choose Frostsyth you are a troll because there is a combination of talents that do the same but better
Bonegrinder is a talent that since this bug came out, when I consume KM occasionally I don’t get a bonegrinder proc
It’s awkward and boring having to spend 3 talent points to improve the Winter Remorseless
there should be a talent that when i don’t have breath should increase my dps
Really the Frost DK with could gasp/wipe off has no dps
There should be a talent to use when I have breath/obliterate on cooldown so I don’t lose DPS and not rely so much on the skill cap you have to have to keep your breath
MOTFW should also boost damage from frost strike and frost scythe 30%

Lending support for this feedback.

There is a LOT of room for improvement with Frost.

Thinking about it, the Obliteration talent really shouldn’t be the capstone of the left side of the tree. It should be the center capstone as it fits the center talents more with Pillar interaction. This and that I don’t feel Absolute Zero and Frostwyrm’s Fury deserve their current locations. They should each be moved back 1 row each and Obliteration moved to be the center of the tree.

Left side should have a new capstone/ability that utilizes lots of runic power (say 80) for a big hit with a shortish cd, (like 15-20 seconds.) Something help use up the excessive amount of runic power the obliteration build generates and be worth using.

Also, talents like Improved Obliterate and Improved Rime make me sad. Please consider replacing them with something more meaningful then flat damage amps to specific abilities.

I find it odd that you can spec into Shattering Blade but also be able to not have any way to apply Razorice to targets. No Glacial Advance, no Avalanche, no Rune requirement.
Perhaps Razorice should be a talent as well as Rune on your weapon, and if you have both, they stack?

This. I know Frostwyrms Fury is a big CD and can be made into massive damage at the right times…but I agree with moving it up a tier

Edit:

That’s the exact thing: Rune of Razorice. But it’s still underwhelming and to spread it…

2 Likes

agree lets do better blizzard!

That or just like 3 whelps that spawn near your target or behind you and do an AoE cone

hey biceps I’m curious

is dw obliterate bad?
coming more so from a pvp perspective and I could careless about pve.

last time I really played frost pvp was mop I think, and it was great.

as far as sinaforsas breath what they should do is allow it to be talented like many of the uhdks dots, such that it concentrates the damage over a much shorter duration

ie ticking for 10k per tick over 1 minute vs 150k per tick for 3 seconds?

something like that

also wtf happened to hazzed
is he not playing?

I think hazzed is playing classic