Sylvannas negativity

How dare they take a firm stand against war crimes. Literally the worst.

It is funny the people talking the loudest about misogyny also happen to hate the morally upstanding and strong female characters while praising Sylvanas, who is a checklist of misogynistic tropes.

5 Likes

This seems about as credible as the claim of most Sylvanas fans liking her because of “undead boobs.”

20 Likes

I hate Sylvanas because her current form is an insult to the original character.

The last 4 years of Sylvanas has ruined her, has ruined the Forsaken, has Ruined the Horde, has Ruined the Kaldorei, has ruined Elune, and with Zovaal being the mastermind behind every single conflict of WoW, she has ruined the lore as a whole.

It’s not complicated. People do not hate her because she is a female character. The fact that she -WAS- so popular proves that false. They hate her because she represents everything wrong with the last 4 years of Warcraft, and represents the death of the Warcraft I grew up with and love.

She used to be one of my favorite characters, and now she is among my least. And it is unlikely that the reason for that is because around the time of BFA, I suddenly started hating women.

15 Likes

I hate Sylvanas because I am abhorred by ends justifying the means actions. I disliked Sylvanas for blackmailing the battered Blood Elves to march on Northrend after the end of Burning Crusade. I started hating Sylvanas in Wrath of the Lich King for testing the blight on a young child. I hated Sylvanas more for using the Val’kyr to spread the suffering necromancy can cause to many more souls. I obviously Hate Sylvanas for being willing to enact genocide. I hate Sylvanas for being so spiteful in not breaking the Night Elves’ hope to targetedly seek out Delaryn to raise into undeath thinking that surely that would break the Night Elves’ hope this time. I hate Sylvanas for being in such self-righteous denial to actively ignore that Zovaal blatantly did not stand for freedom. And I even hate Sylvanas for placing Anduin in forced servitude, robbed of will, which was Sylvanas’ own drive to never experience again.

I would hate Sylvanas no matter what Sylvanas’ gender is.

15 Likes

That’s mostly the Alliance annoyance with them constantly changing their minds.
But the hate that Tyrande and Jaina got mostly started with Cataclysm and MoP where both characters were vocal about hating the Horde for very good reasons.
Jaina actually became more popular in early BFA when she started taking actions against the Horde and then… went right back to liking the Horde again for no reason.

2 Likes

:roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

Making things up to justify why you feel you have the “high ground” are we Micah?

To me it seems like you do not even read why people don’t like her and where her character is going. So instead you make up BS about why. Then try and fit their reasons to fit your self made biases. Grow up.

Oh grow up both of you seriously.

I don’t seem to recall anyone getting angry when Azshara was in the spotlight during BFA? In fact she was and still is one of the best parts of that expansion. The issue with Jaina is that her character arc keeps going around in a circle. First she is friends with the Horde due to the events of WC3. Now she hates the horde for what happened in MoP. Now she is friends again… now she hates them again… Now she is friends again…

6 Likes

I hate Sylvanas because she’s the fictional equivalent of someone who justifies abuse because she’s a victim and survivor of it. Or was that her fans?

Everything she hates Arthas for she does over and over again to others. Sending souls to the Maw, and turning someone into a puppet is the fictional equivalent of grooming people for abuse. The creator of your abuser no less.

She does this because she’s reckless, callous, and selfish.

I hate Nathanos too, while we’re at it. I understand that people like him because he doesn’t worship the players. But for me, it’s like dating a person that’s neglectful and insulting because your ex was clingy.

The player character has done more for Azeroth, the Horde, and Sylvanas than Nathanos has on screen. We helped kill the Lich King.

Rexxar and Saurfang have done more. What has Nathanos done to be so condescending?

19 Likes

This is a bit too much, here. I wouldn’t say this unless a person actually made sexist remarks about her, while there are DEFINITELY people who hate her because of sexism.

8 Likes

I don’t hate any characters in the game. Not Sylvanas. Not Tyrande. Not Jaina. Not Thrall. Not Anduin. Not any one character.

I hate the writers for what they did to these characters and others.

12 Likes

My fav Wow characters

Maiev
Azshara
Tyrande
Naisha
Malfurion Stormrage
Sally Whitemane
Vanessa Van Cleef
Jaina Proudmoore
Blackhand
Lucille Waycrest
Magni Bronzebeard (His comic earned him a lot of points)
Wrathion

Shandris is 50/50, the Human potential stuff lost her some points.

My Warcraft OCs
(All female)
Nelf Priestess
Arathi Warrior
Orc Blademaster
Worgen Warlock
Dark Iron Blacksmith
Forsaken mage

(Male OCs)
Nelf Druid
Human Cowboy

My D&D OCs
(Female)
Duergar Forge Cleric
Human Eldrich Knight
Teifling Necromancer

(male)
Gnome Artificer

CLEARLY I have a preference. Clearly my issue isn’t with women. My issue is with poorly written characters.

Edit: I have been running a dnd campaign and I realized all the cool NPC allies of the Party are women, and I REALLY need to work in some cool male characters. It’s getting a little silly.

7 Likes

No. Just, no.

The majority of people who hate Sylvanas hate her for how inconsistently written he story is, the atrocities she keeps choosing to do, the double standards writers and her fans apply to the character plus Sylvanas’ plot armor that’s so over the top it would make Batman and Doctor Doom blush.

4 Likes

My favorite characters.

Yes! Glorious victory! Eat dirt and die, alliance scum! Stormsong valley belongs to the Horde!

Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken! Death to the Scourge! And death to the living!
Now, all can see this is the hour of the Forsaken.

1 Like

Meanwhile anyone who “hates” Sylvanas is a sexist according to Micah, Ren and yourself. And any other reason is #fakenews.

8 Likes

Because the story Blizzard built up around her is insulting and stupid.
Nobody had an issue with Sylvanas until the past few expansions when Blizz started sacrificing a ton of quality lore to tell a story that’s not even good for Sylvanas.

8 Likes

My favorite thing about Sylvanas is that even though the WoW subreddit is dominated by around 100+ or so vocally anti-Sylvanas voices, Sylvanas fan art still consistently makes it to the to top of the subreddit almost weekly. There were at least two this week.

And my favorite thing about this forum (the story forums) is that after 5+ years of Sylvanas being so “hated” by the community…there are still major threads being created about her weekly. Weekly for years on end. She’s still being used as part of the marketing for the game as demonstrated today.

Look at the Microsoft buyout announcement today…whose bright smiling face is at the center of the marketing for AKB? Spoiler…It’s not Anduin.

EDIT: To be clear, the marketing for the biggest acquisition in video game history featured Sylvanas as the character of note for the Warcraft IP. Not Anduin, Not Jaina, Not Thrall, Not Baine. Not bad for a character a lot of you thought was going to be dead and gone forever 6 months ago.

3 Likes

I was thinking about that, as I read the various articles. For all the hate some people want to give her, she was on full display, reppin’ Warcraft.

Almost as if she is one of the more popular and recognizable faces of the franchise.

I was like, “you go girl!”

3 Likes

Almost as if marketing picks who represents the franchise and simpletons fall for what’s spoon fed to them

3 Likes

I really liked Sylvanas before BFA. Don’t like what the story did to her after.
If you don’t know how to progress character or grow you have to kill it at some point . Just like Arthas , Varian …
They decided to do something reductive with Sylvanas and to include other characters in this mess.

1 Like

“They won’t tell you fairy tales of how girls can be dangerous and still win. They will only tell you stories where girls are sweet and kind and reject all sin. I guess to them it’s a terrifying thought, a red riding hood who knew exactly what she was doing when she invited the wild in.” ~ Nikita Gill

3 Likes

Ah my favorite excuse for bad character writing “you just hate her because she is a woman”. Yes, you are completely right, as a woman myself I feel my “fragile masculinity” threatened because Sylvanas is a “strong” female character. Nothing to do with the fact that she is poorly written or doesn’t actually have a “strong” personality, she is easily manipulated by the cardboard boss.

You mean like you were when you thought you actually understood the character ? Let me remind you.

8 Likes